Stern - Top

Boat Bling - Top

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,595 Times

Cool Barker's Fabrication - RZR 1000 4 seater build!

This RZR does belong to a member of RDP and is being built by Eric Barker (Barkers Fabrication) here in LHC. I'm not sure if the inmate wants his name attached to the build or if he wants to be anonymous so I'll let him decide that. The project started off with the idea that they wanted a cage built that was actually "safe" god forbid you actually do wad one of these things up.

To be clear this isn't a full on race build, however it is going to be probably a little different than what you see in most RZR builds. I don't have a timeline for the project because the build is "fluid" in that it has changed a few times and will likely change more as the build progresses but I would guess it at 6-8 weeks total.

So lets start with the idea that the stock cages fold up like laundry. Most people go out and purchase a cage and bolt it onto the car and call it good. Upon taking the car apart Eric decided he should probably make some changes to the frame itself as well. First things first there is nothing but a piece of plastic between the passenger compartment and the front suspension. In short if you are bee bopping down the trail at 40-50 mph and you tag a giant boulder and it rips the front suspension off the car, your legs (and possibly life) are in gods hands if that decides to come into the passenger compartment.

This picture is the front of the car taken apart. At the right of the picture you can now see a chromoly bar welded in place that goes diagonal across this area to prevent the wheel / suspension arms / shocks etc.. from actually coming into the passenger compartment in the event of a major catastrophe.

Name:  IMG_6430.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  75.3 KB

Looking at it from the inside of the car looking out you can see the bars clearly on the drivers side, and on the passenger side.

Name:  IMG_6427.jpg
Size:  76.4 KB

Now having taken the car apart, Eric took a look at the frame itself and it is also bolted together and kinda "flimsy" much like the original cage up top. He decided to reinforce the frame with chromoly as well. There isn't much point to putting some double throw down bad ass cage on top of a weak frame. In this picture you can see the chromoly tubing reinforcing the lower frame rails. (You could go a step further than this if you wanted, but for a play RZR this is more than adequate)

Name:  IMG_6429.jpg
Size:  79.2 KB

Now the frame of the car as mentioned earlier is bolted together just like the cage up top was, so he decided to strengthen that area as well. He removed the bolts, slid a sleeve over the frame, welded studs in place of the bolts (correct me if I'm wrong on that Eric, but I'm pretty sure that's right) then slid chromoly sleeves over the joint and welded it all together.

Name:  IMG_6435.jpg
Size:  80.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6438.jpg
Size:  35.2 KB

Here you can see the upper and lower joints now welded together and sleeved. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the build is "fluid" and somethings are changing on the fly. One of the details of the build changed so the actual upper tube in this picture below will be removed from the car as it was decided after this picture was taken that the rear of the cage is going to be widened slightly. To make all that happen and not make it look like an afterthought that top bar has to come out and be remade a little differently.

Name:  IMG_6434.jpg
Size:  52.7 KB

This build should take approximately 6-8 weeks depending, and I will update it every couple of days or once a week depending on how often I can get over there. :)

In the meantime here's a couple more random pics.

What is looks like from the rear as of two days ago.

Name:  IMG_6426.jpg
Size:  76.6 KB

Most likely won't be needing these anymore.

Name:  IMG_6425.jpg
Size:  58.7 KB

The front differential in this RZR was making some noise so it got yanked previous to the build. Being replaced by a Billet one.
    Name:  IMG_6424.jpg
Size:  59.9 KB

I'm not sure if he's going to make a custom long travel for the car or not, but I suspect he will be. It will be interesting to see what he does with that. Especially as a 1 off using the stock shocks. (The shocks have gone through Shock Therapy now, so I'm not sure "stock" is the right word, but not different aftermarket shocks)

Name:  IMG_6433.jpg
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6432.jpg
Size:  77.8 KB

Any questions feel free to post it in the thread! I'm sure Eric will be watching.

Barkers Fabrication - 928-846-7755

BE NICE OR LEAVE

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to RiverDave For This Useful Post:

28Eliminator (02-02-2017), 4Waters (02-02-2017), Beerme (02-02-2017), Boat211 (02-02-2017), FreeBird236 (02-02-2017), paradise (02-02-2017), plaster dave (02-02-2017), RitcheyRch (02-02-2017), RVRKID (02-02-2017), srttruck (02-02-2017), TBulger (02-02-2017), TPC (02-02-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 262 Times
    Real excited to see what's in store for this. I'm sure it will be nothing short of spectacular.
    Inmate #483

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Boat211 For This Useful Post:

lavish62 (02-02-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times
    Following!

Thanks
    Thanked 579 Times
    awesome work

Thanks
    Thanked 616 Times
    I cant begin to say how happy I am to have chosen Eric. Though the snowball is something to behold. Basically started looking for a safe, reliable build done with quality and a few features were mandatory. Well I am getting all that and more, in the end the joke has become SCORE tag could be included. I have asked Dave to document this as honestly Eric's work will blow you away. I believe we will have a very capable sxs when done, notice its no longer a rzr, other than the power-plant almost nothing will be left. Enjoy the progress and anyone looking for a true custom build, Eric should get a call to discuss. Besides being a great guy his capabilities are as good as it gets.
    www.palomarsolar.com / 760.504.0388
    Please mention RDP to ensure you receive the RDSUX discount!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BasilHayden For This Useful Post:

Boat211 (02-05-2017), Cole Trickle (02-02-2017), ductape1000 (02-02-2017), FreeBird236 (04-18-2017), TBulger (02-02-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 29,595 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Boat211 View Post
    Real excited to see what's in store for this. I'm sure it will be nothing short of spectacular.
    Well I went over there a couple weeks ago and everything you see in the pics was cut off.. (yikes!).

I guess they decided to basically start from scratch and ditch the frame main rails..

So here is the new frame base that Eric built and now he's creating an entire car from scratch.

Name:  IMG_8449.jpg
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8451.jpg
Size:  92.1 KB

The car is wider and longer than factory now.

Note the new billet front diff!

Name:  IMG_8450.jpg
Size:  52.8 KB

BE NICE OR LEAVE

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RiverDave For This Useful Post:

ductape1000 (04-18-2017), FreeBird236 (04-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times
    nice metal work.
    I like how you describe how much of a POS these things are stock if you crash, noted

Thanks
    Thanked 29,595 Times

Thumbsup

Quote Originally Posted by riverroyal View Post
    nice metal work.
    I like how you describe how much of a POS these things are stock if you crash, noted
    Well, don't crash one! LOL

Mine all stock frame, and the cage is factory etc.. I'd like to put a 1000 motor in it and electronics.. I don't need the extra speed, but I'd like more accelleration and hill climbing abilitiy etc..

RD

BE NICE OR LEAVE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDave View Post
    Well, don't crash one! LOL

Mine all stock frame, and the cage is factory etc.. I'd like to put a 1000 motor in it and electronics.. I don't need the extra speed, but I'd like more accelleration and hill climbing abilitiy etc..

RD
    no shit huh!
    should be nice

Thanks
    Thanked 1,419 Times
    Should have just put the stock one back together and built a new LS powered one off
    Elton Porter Insurance Brokerage, Andy Holthe Direct 7 day service 310-480-4285 or 877-815-6523 AgentAndy01@Gmail.com
    NO BROKERAGE HAS MORE MARINE PROGRAMS IN ANY STATE, PERIOD! Covering all of your insurance needs, specializing in off-road and marine.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy01 For This Useful Post:

plaster dave (04-18-2017)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast