WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Barker's Fabrication - RZR 1000 4 seater build!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This RZR does belong to a member of RDP and is being built by Eric Barker (Barkers Fabrication) here in LHC. I'm not sure if the inmate wants his name attached to the build or if he wants to be anonymous so I'll let him decide that. The project started off with the idea that they wanted a cage built that was actually "safe" god forbid you actually do wad one of these things up.

To be clear this isn't a full on race build, however it is going to be probably a little different than what you see in most RZR builds. I don't have a timeline for the project because the build is "fluid" in that it has changed a few times and will likely change more as the build progresses but I would guess it at 6-8 weeks total.

So lets start with the idea that the stock cages fold up like laundry. Most people go out and purchase a cage and bolt it onto the car and call it good. Upon taking the car apart Eric decided he should probably make some changes to the frame itself as well. First things first there is nothing but a piece of plastic between the passenger compartment and the front suspension. In short if you are bee bopping down the trail at 40-50 mph and you tag a giant boulder and it rips the front suspension off the car, your legs (and possibly life) are in gods hands if that decides to come into the passenger compartment.

This picture is the front of the car taken apart. At the right of the picture you can now see a chromoly bar welded in place that goes diagonal across this area to prevent the wheel / suspension arms / shocks etc.. from actually coming into the passenger compartment in the event of a major catastrophe.

IMG_6430.jpg

Looking at it from the inside of the car looking out you can see the bars clearly on the drivers side, and on the passenger side.

IMG_6427.jpg

Now having taken the car apart, Eric took a look at the frame itself and it is also bolted together and kinda "flimsy" much like the original cage up top. He decided to reinforce the frame with chromoly as well. There isn't much point to putting some double throw down bad ass cage on top of a weak frame. In this picture you can see the chromoly tubing reinforcing the lower frame rails. (You could go a step further than this if you wanted, but for a play RZR this is more than adequate)

IMG_6429.jpg

Now the frame of the car as mentioned earlier is bolted together just like the cage up top was, so he decided to strengthen that area as well. He removed the bolts, slid a sleeve over the frame, welded studs in place of the bolts (correct me if I'm wrong on that Eric, but I'm pretty sure that's right) then slid chromoly sleeves over the joint and welded it all together.

IMG_6435.jpg

IMG_6438.jpg

Here you can see the upper and lower joints now welded together and sleeved. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the build is "fluid" and somethings are changing on the fly. One of the details of the build changed so the actual upper tube in this picture below will be removed from the car as it was decided after this picture was taken that the rear of the cage is going to be widened slightly. To make all that happen and not make it look like an afterthought that top bar has to come out and be remade a little differently.

IMG_6434.jpg

This build should take approximately 6-8 weeks depending, and I will update it every couple of days or once a week depending on how often I can get over there. :)

In the meantime here's a couple more random pics.

What is looks like from the rear as of two days ago.

IMG_6426.jpg

Most likely won't be needing these anymore.

IMG_6425.jpg

The front differential in this RZR was making some noise so it got yanked previous to the build. Being replaced by a Billet one.
IMG_6424.jpg

I'm not sure if he's going to make a custom long travel for the car or not, but I suspect he will be. It will be interesting to see what he does with that. Especially as a 1 off using the stock shocks. (The shocks have gone through Shock Therapy now, so I'm not sure "stock" is the right word, but not different aftermarket shocks)

IMG_6433.jpg

IMG_6432.jpg

Any questions feel free to post it in the thread! I'm sure Eric will be watching.

Barkers Fabrication - 928-846-7755

Boat211

Reaction score
Real excited to see what's in store for this. I'm sure it will be nothing short of spectacular.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
I cant begin to say how happy I am to have chosen Eric. Though the snowball is something to behold. Basically started looking for a safe, reliable build done with quality and a few features were mandatory. Well I am getting all that and more, in the end the joke has become SCORE tag could be included. I have asked Dave to document this as honestly Eric's work will blow you away. I believe we will have a very capable sxs when done, notice its no longer a rzr, other than the power-plant almost nothing will be left. Enjoy the progress and anyone looking for a true custom build, Eric should get a call to discuss. Besides being a great guy his capabilities are as good as it gets.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Real excited to see what's in store for this. I'm sure it will be nothing short of spectacular.

Well I went over there a couple weeks ago and everything you see in the pics was cut off.. (yikes!).

I guess they decided to basically start from scratch and ditch the frame main rails..

So here is the new frame base that Eric built and now he's creating an entire car from scratch.

IMG_8449.jpg

IMG_8451.jpg

The car is wider and longer than factory now.

Note the new billet front diff!

IMG_8450.jpg

riverroyal

Reaction score
nice metal work.
I like how you describe how much of a POS these things are stock if you crash, noted:rolleyes

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
nice metal work.
I like how you describe how much of a POS these things are stock if you crash, noted:rolleyes

Well, don't crash one! LOL

Mine all stock frame, and the cage is factory etc.. I'd like to put a 1000 motor in it and electronics.. I don't need the extra speed, but I'd like more accelleration and hill climbing abilitiy etc..

RD

riverroyal

Reaction score
Well, don't crash one! LOL

Mine all stock frame, and the cage is factory etc.. I'd like to put a 1000 motor in it and electronics.. I don't need the extra speed, but I'd like more accelleration and hill climbing abilitiy etc..

RD

no shit huh!
should be nice

Andy01

Reaction score
Should have just put the stock one back together and built a new LS powered one off

glamis0812

Reaction score
Should have just put the stock one back together and built a new LS powered one off

Completely agree that chassis is going to be way to nice for a rzr drivetrain but I can't wait to see it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Completely agree that chassis is going to be way to nice for a rzr drivetrain but I can't wait to see it.

So I was talking to Andy earlier today, and it looks like they might just put his original RZR 1000 back together and this thing will be a completely separate build on it's own. I think it's going to end up having a 4 cylinder crazy motor in it with a tranny. :D

RD

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
So I was talking to Andy earlier today, and it looks like they might just put his original RZR 1000 back together and this thing will be a completely separate build on it's own. I think it's going to end up having a 4 cylinder crazy motor in it with a tranny. :D

RD
For sale... Slightly used RZR... Full detail done, completely gone through...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
For sale... Slightly used RZR... Full detail done, completely gone through...

I think he's already got a buyer for it actually.. LOL I wanted to buy the motor and ECU off of him! :D

RD

BasilHayden

Reaction score

Funny you say that, that is what the plan is sort of. The old one will be rebuilt though still very custom, most likely a project for a friend otherwise it will be sold. But last week I was looking at where we were and said "It seems I have a whole rzr on the ground and the only piece we plan on reusing is the engine trans combo." Why don't we find a better engine/trans for this build. The snowball continues as I think I found a new plan for the engine.

The American V4?

The mighty Motus V4 Baby Block? delivers massive torque using the same small-block architecture found in the most reliable and competitive engines in the world.

mv4zr_render.png

More updates to come...:yikes
In the market for a totaled sled at this point, think I need a vin for registration purposes.

dezertrider

Reaction score
Nice to see another member going through a snow ball build

Meaney77

Reaction score
Funny you say that, that is what the plan is sort of. The old one will be rebuilt though still very custom, most likely a project for a friend otherwise it will be sold. But last week I was looking at where we were and said "It seems I have a whole rzr on the ground and the only piece we plan on reusing is the engine trans combo." Why don't we find a better engine/trans for this build. The snowball continues as I think I found a new plan for the engine.

The American V4?

The mighty Motus V4 Baby Block? delivers massive torque using the same small-block architecture found in the most reliable and competitive engines in the world.

View attachment 555330

More updates to come...:yikes
In the market for a totaled sled at this point, think I need a vin for registration purposes.

Is this the old SCAT V4?

BasilHayden

Reaction score
No this is a new design by Motus, seewww.motusmotorcycles.com/american-v4 or http://americanv4.com It is effectively half an LS motor and shares some parts from my understanding. Great story and amazing looking piece, should be amazing in the mini trophy. More power than "I" need and should be very reliable running it in stock configuration. People are chipping and boosting the SxS engines too much for my taste to get these hp numbers. I want it to be reliable.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Looks like the Mini Trophy/Truggy will start to see some progress now.

Engine will be delivered this week,
built Yamaha sequential trans has been ordered from Tubeworks
Rear dif ordered, billet front diff has been waiting,
most all items are on their way to the shop, last major issue is the body, but there are a few irons in the works,
I am way too deep in this, but really believe this is going to be off the hook when done.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Build about to get moving again

received in the last week
Motus.jpg
Motus engine, scary compact, its sitting in a milk crate and weighs next to nothing, Barker says like a sack of concrete.

Trans.jpg
Built by tubeworks Yamaha trans sure wish they would have cleaned it, looks about the size of the engine

expecting most of the other major components this month, looks like Barker may need to start Fabricating again!

Hopefully Dave and Tom are able to spend some time documenting it, Oh and I think we are vearing more towards a truggy than a mini trophy. Should have body sourced soon.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think he is just waiting for a couple more parts and they are welding..

BasilHayden

Reaction score
How's this snowball going?

Been very busy sitting in MV to pull permits on a huge job :yikes

Haha, I am in town and plan on seeing if I can prod some progress along, we are ready to start IMO.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
So its not going to be a RZR anymore, I think we covered that.

Out with the Old, still working on selling a project :grumble:
used Rzr with many upgrades ready to go, just bring tools!

IMG_2406.jpg
IMG_2407.jpg
seats and wheels go with the old ride

old engine.jpg
old frame.jpg
very sad looking Rzr 1000

Instead Barker is building a cross between a SXS in size, but it will be a closer cousin to a serious Baja race buggy.
It'll be somewhat close to the original dimensions of a RZR 1000, with creature comfort, sounds like I have a pre-runner on the way.

Front Diff.jpg
rear diff1.jpg
rear diff2.jpg
Hopefully no more differential issues, lol

6 speed 2.jpg
6 speed 3.jpg
6 speed1.jpg
6 speed sequential with reverse, Oh and guess whose BBQ in the background waiting to be fabbed for a toon mount.

oil tank.jpg
a little oil tank for the dry sump, Eric's got a plan, he has been thinking out everything

And the Baby V4 from Motus, 200 horse on pump gas at about 8500rpm
motus 1.jpg
motus 2.jpg
motus 3.jpg
motus 4.jpg

Pics don't do this motor Justice, I can't wait for Eric to start welding!
Almost everything is now in and ready to be put together.

Attachments

• IMG_2402.jpg
    IMG_2402.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 328

Dylan

Reaction score
Killer build! Looking forward to it!

Andy01

Reaction score
You selling anything from the original first build?

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Dave,

Change the thread name already, this is NOT a Rzr anymore, lol

What is it now, a custom sxs or mini buggy, but not a RZR.

mess033

Reaction score
I have a buddy interested in buying the old frame and parts if you still have them. thanks

RaceTec

Reaction score
Where are the updates on yours??? Between you and the Bronco it is some cool shit that is going to be multi-year builds!

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Where are the updates on yours??? Between you and the Bronco it is some cool shit that is going to be multi-year builds!

Per Barker last week,

Fuel cell cans made and being dropped off this week for finishing, water jet parts being picked up in Pasadena as the local Havasu guy couldn't get it done. Needs more tubing and parts...Progress but still crawling before the finish.

Hammer

Reaction score
What’s the status of this build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BasilHayden

Reaction score
As I knew it was another season without a ride, pulled the trigger on an X3, Lynch kinda pushed me with his. Had barker put a few of the parts that were intended for the original XP1000 into it. Now back to the build. My understanding is after the holidays it should be full speed ahead. Fuel cell should be ready, and parts galore are ready to be fabbed together. I am sure Barker will be making some serious progress soon, and I am very excited. He keeps grinning saying you love the X3, just wait till you ride in this. More HP, More travel, a real gearbox, a bit more width, and a tad less wheelbase. Those who have really seen whats happening are calling me saying do you know...yes I do and I can't wait.
Palomar may be racing.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
I think the can am is the family 4 seater, may be time to remove the 2 rear seats from the build requirement and allow him to build what he really wants, Class ?

Headed to the Mint this weekend to get some ideas...