WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

WTF did I do?

Icky

Reaction score
So a few months ago I was cutting on my acra lathe and while it was power feeding, the carriage hit the little micro stop thingy( technical term:)) it ran awhile before I realized why it stopped. Didn't make any grinding noises or anything so I thought nothing of it.

Well I went to restart it and it locked up. Spun the spindle a bit and it ran but sounded like it was under a heavy load and sounded nasty when it started. So I stopped it and moved the Chuck a bit more and it was fine.

So now I'm trying to figure out what I did. Pulled the cover on top where all the gears were and started it, did you know that oil gets thrown everywhere:eek.
Anyway spun everything, no chips in the gears, backlash seems ok. But it looks like it jumps I certain positions, did I trash a bearing? I can't see enough to know for sure thoughts??

shan

Reaction score
So a few months ago I was cutting on my acra lathe and while it was power feeding, the carriage hit the little micro stop thingy( technical term:)) it ran awhile before I realized why it stopped. Didn't make any grinding noises or anything so I thought nothing of it.

Well I went to restart it and it locked up. Spun the spindle a bit and it ran but sounded like it was under a heavy load and sounded nasty when it started. So I stopped it and moved the Chuck a bit more and it was fine.

So now I'm trying to figure out what I did. Pulled the cover on top where all the gears were and started it, did you know that oil gets thrown everywhere:eek.
Anyway spun everything, no chips in the gears, backlash seems ok. But it looks like it jumps I certain positions, did I trash a bearing? I can't see enough to know for sure thoughts??

Shear pin on the feed screw?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Im not relating the two problems or I don't understand the relationship of the two problems sir.

Yea, don't run it fast with the oil covers off. :yikes

Icky

Reaction score
Even with the feed screw turned off it makes the grinding noise.

I don't see how they're related either, I think I'm going to year it down and look for a bad bearing that could be causing it to jump.

I'll take a picture of it in a bit

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Any progress? What size and year is it, they make many lathes. I've worked on Le Blond, Monarch, Rockford and a few others. Some have nylon teeth or a shear pin to protect against what happened. Most likely something is up inside the apron, but it could be to the drive gears. There are so many design variations between eras and size I'm just grasping at straws. One question is do the manual feeds stay consistent?

What you did is "crash" it lol.. :)

Icky

Reaction score
Any progress? What size and year is it, they make many lathes. I've worked on Le Blond, Monarch, Rockford and a few others. Some have nylon teeth or a shear pin to protect against what happened. Most likely something is up inside the apron, but it could be to the drive gears. There are so many design variations between eras and size I'm just grasping at straws. One question is do the manual feeds stay consistent?

What you did is "crash" it lol.. :)

Haven't messed with it, I don't use it very often so it's not likes it's killing me. I'll get the specs off it after desert Storm, I'm busy getting the boat ready to go, wet sanding sucks.