WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Whats it called or how do you make it.

sandeggo

Reaction score
I know I have seen them before but I cant think of the damn name. Its an insert that you can press into a piece of aluminum to act as a socket that will accept a ball end of a bolt. If that's confusing just think about the end of a bessey clamp. I want my piece of aluminum fixed so it doesn't rotate when I start tightening the bolt. Make sense?

so I want to turn the bolt and have the wedge move but not spin

Icky

Reaction score
Does it have to look like that? Can't you just weld a piece of angle iron to each end of a c clamp? Works good for round and angle iron. I have an idea to make yours work, but it requires me getting out my napkins and crayons:)

sandeggo

Reaction score
Does it have to look like that? Can't you just weld a piece of angle iron to each end of a c clamp? Works good for round and angle iron. I have an idea to make yours work, but it requires me getting out my napkins and crayons:)

I want it to work as its currently designed. The ball and socket is the only thing left to figure out. I could bore a hole all the way through the chunk that isn't threaded so it spins, but I'd rather have the ball and socket.

Icky

Reaction score
Can you drill a hole in the block. Then either buy or machine a ball on the end of the block so it fits in there. Then buy a set screw with a ball on the end to capture it from the side ? So you would be drilling and tapping the side of the block to accept the set screw.
download (1).jpg
Screenshot_20170213-124907.jpg

sandeggo

Reaction score
Can you drill a hole in the block. Then either buy or machine a ball on the end of the block so it fits in there. Then buy a set screw with a ball on the end to capture it from the side ? So you would be drilling and tapping the side of the block to accept the set screw.

I can machine the black or the end of a bolt. Either way will work. I do want the block attached to the bolt, but have the ability to spin.

Icky

Reaction score

I can machine the black or the end of a bolt. Either way will work. I do want the block attached to the bolt, but have the ability to spin.

I got my crayons out, the view is shown cut away :thumbup: hopefully it makes sense since I was in a hurry. Best I got without some more background, maybe someone smarter than me will have an idea for you

v block.JPG