WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for input on system for new(to me) truck.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I now have a 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 quad Cab.
I enjoy crisp, clean music, no rap, a mix of classic rock, good country, and occasionally some jazz...think Larry Carlton, Norman Brown, etc.
In the Ford I had a high end Kenwood Excelon Deck with the motorized screen, it crapped out about two weeks before I sold the truck. The damn thing never did work right and was not really user friendly, imho
I also had a set of Boston Component front speakers, the tweets were on the A-pillars, (I like a good soundstage) Those speakers were almost $600 in 2000.
They went with the Ford
I have acquired a JL Audio 900 HD amp, want to use it in the Dodge. Right now thinking a JL 10 inch sub under the rear seat in the enclosure they build specifically for the truck. I have a Kicker 10 Solobaric, but it wont fit under the seat and I don't want to take up the limited floor space in the back seat with a sub box.will probably sell it.. Stock speakers in the rear, and up front I want something that will perform about as well as the Boston's did, but this will have to be done in stages. Not working OT like I used to, can drop any big $ on speakers.
As for had units, I want to go to a double DIN unit. I know there are dash plates to do this cleanly.
There are several new Double Din head units from many manufacturers that have built in XM tuners and Nav systems, I want that, and another must have is the IData link that allows for OBDII data to be displayed on the screen.
I want a user friendly intuative head unit, and one that has a very effective Equalizer system, 6 pre amp outputs, preferably 4v or higher, and subwoofer controls.
I don't want to drop over $6-700 on a head unit unless someone can really convince me there is a need.

Sooo...whaddaya think?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
This is what i did to my 07.
Sounded great, and still had the big-side rear underseat storage.

Pioneer 7" DVD head unit
Speakers/amp are all Infinity:
Kappa 6.5" components up front
Kappa 6.5" co-axials in the rear doors
Kappa 10" sub under the rear seat
Kappa 5 amp under the driver's seat

head.jpg

dash.jpg

front%20doors.jpg

Rear%20door.jpg

amp.jpg

sub%20revealed.jpg

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Thank you!

I will give a listen to the Kappa stuff!
I want to use the sub enclosure that goes on the passenger side of the rear seat I think, but that has me wondering about that too.
I have the same interior, that head unit install looks very clean. Did you have to install some sort of "brain box" inline with the head unit? I am being told by a local shop this is a necessity...due to the electronics in the truck.

pronstar

Reaction score
Thank you!

I will give a listen to the Kappa stuff!
I want to use the sub enclosure that goes on the passenger side of the rear seat I think, but that has me wondering about that too.
I have the same interior, that head unit install looks very clean. Did you have to install some sort of "brain box" inline with the head unit? I am being told by a local shop this is a necessity...due to the electronics in the truck.

Not sure, i had it installed by Al and Ed's in Ontario based in Bildo's reco...they did a great job BTW

But i had a base audio asystem and no Navi...not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I went with Infinity by preference, and industry relationships I have. I'm sure other name brands would be fine as well

Yellowboat

Reaction score
if you are going to do a screen might as well throw in a back up camera. its on the short list for me to do the truck.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Pron I just have the standard 4 speaker single Din deal as well, has the brushed trim just like yours did.

YB forgot to add that, absolutely going with a backup camera above the license plate.

RCDave

Reaction score
Sounds like a very fun project.

My advice is go the extra mile installing the front component set. It will payoff with much better sound quality, staging, and tight mid mass.

Go all out lining the inside of the doors with dynamat. This will really help SQ along with making the truck quieter.

Some shops will build fiberglass enclosures but that can get pricey.

I've had many quality brands over the years. This includes older sets of infinity kappa perfects. Not sure if the tweets are still metal dome. They were a little bright for my ears.

I've gravitated toward high end JBL stuff. The jbl 670gti is an amazing speaker. Very strong, tight, mid bass. The tweets are accurate and present but without harshness.

Love a great mid bass speaker that can effortlessly handle frequencies down to 80hz. This way a sub is not overused in a system. Balance overall....

pronstar

Reaction score
Pron I just have the standard 4 speaker single Din deal as well, has the brushed trim just like yours did.

YB forgot to add that, absolutely going with a backup camera above the license plate.

I don't believe you need the "brain" interface, but I'd trust what your installer says.

I think the camera was a $100 add for cam and install. Definitely worth it, especially when hitching-up.

FUN4ME

Reaction score
i have a 2016 ram, i also suggest infinity speakers, i just did the drop in replacements.

Went a little overboard with the subs though
look at a fox box, i went with the one for 2 10's
http://www.foxacoustics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DQC-210-V

these are the subs i used, i know they aren't real common but they are good.
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss265ho-44-10-reference-ho-dvc-subwoofer--295-463

then i went with this pioneer amp
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Gm-D...d=1487806850&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+gm+d9601

I lost all the storage space under the seats but i wasn't using it any way, i only added the one amp as my truck came with the upgraded stereo that already has amps for all the other speakers.

check out knukonceptz for wire and sound deadner
http://www.knukonceptz.com

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the input, keep it coming.
While there was a time I would have given up all the underseat storage for subs I am getting a bit older, and think a good single 10 powered correctly will be enough for me.
Any takes on the Double DIN head units?? I really don't want something that isn't easy to work, I know I have to do some reading to learn but don't want to have to read repeatedly to get to a eq screen, or turn the sub back on, etc...
Really do appreciate the input.:thumbsup

RCDave

Reaction score
I also miss this simplicity of older receivers. Some of the new units take an IT degree to understand.

I just installed a new alpine pdx amp in the boat. Love it. Small, powerful, clean...