WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Magic Trim Tab Install

Marine Industries West

Reaction score
The 28 Magic deck boat, This boat is undoubtedly the most produced 28 deck boat in the world. I remember production numbers from Magic of roughly 140 or so per year. The transom design is uniquely shaped requiring a custom trim tab design. Several years ago, Magic Requested Dana to design a trim tab specifically for this boat. In an effort to help the boat get in plane more efficiently these Sponson Tabs were designed to tuck into the step on the back of the sponson. The tab design has proven to be very effective and is still quite popular today.

Here's a few shots of a recent install that we did here at Marine Industries West. The install included our TT-SP1600 Offset Sponson Tabs and one of our two slide mechanical indicators.

Attachments

• magig28-1.jpg
    magig28-1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 581
  • magic28-2.jpg
    magic28-2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 633
  • magic28-4.jpg
    magic28-4.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 595
  • magic28-3.jpg
    magic28-3.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 618
  • magic28-6.jpg
    magic28-6.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 566

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Are you also making 5 degree, transom piece wedges ?

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have a set of those on my magic and have a question, mine do not go up and down at the same speed do you know what could be wrong.

Marine Industries West

Reaction score
I have a set of those on my magic and have a question, mine do not go up and down at the same speed do you know what could be wrong.

It could be a number of things. I would have several questions for you. Give me a call when you can and I'd be happy to help you figure it out. 714-630-3905, Thanks, Bob

motohead417

RIOTRSH
Reaction score
Need some help installing my tabs on my magic deck boat and found this old thread so I figured I would I would start here, I hope someone can chime in and help me figure out a way to get these installed.

I have one of the later model deck boats with the twin step bottom, I took the boat to Absolute In Havasu to have the tabs installed and after having the boat there for two month's I get a call from them telling me they can't install the tabs cause their isn't enough room on the step on the back of the sponsons to mount them like in the pictures posted above. The newer bottoms don't have as big of a step as the older bottoms. Long story short I've had these tabs sitting in my garage for the last two years and really want to figure out a way to install them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Deano

Reaction score
Make sure the hoses to the pump(s) are the same length.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Need some help installing my tabs on my magic deck boat and found this old thread so I figured I would I would start here, I hope someone can chime in and help me figure out a way to get these installed.

I have one of the later model deck boats with the twin step bottom, I took the boat to Absolute In Havasu to have the tabs installed and after having the boat there for two month's I get a call from them telling me they can't install the tabs cause their isn't enough room on the step on the back of the sponsons to mount them like in the pictures posted above. The newer bottoms don't have as big of a step as the older bottoms. Long story short I've had these tabs sitting in my garage for the last two years and really want to figure out a way to install them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best suggestion would be to call or email Bob. He’s extremely helpful and super on replies, he will for sure be the one to help get these on for you.
‭+1 (951) 279-5005‬
[email protected]

Marine Industries West

Reaction score

We recently had one of these later model magics at my shop, and there is simply not enough room to do the tab install. We looked at every way and couldn't figure out a solution. Quite surprising that Magic would eliminate the step height. Hundreds of their boats got tab installs. You would have thought they would have considered that when re-tooling the bottom.

My customer ended up cutting the shorter steps out of the sponsons and they rebuilt the back corner of the sponsons with enough room to mount the tabs. A few grand and they had a platform to install the tabs.

UnWoke

Reaction score
We recently had one of these later model magics at my shop, and there is simply not enough room to do the tab install. We looked at every way and couldn't figure out a solution. Quite surprising that Magic would eliminate the step height. Hundreds of their boats got tab installs. You would have thought they would have considered that when re-tooling the bottom.

My customer ended up cutting the shorter steps out of the sponsons and they rebuilt the back corner of the sponsons with enough room to mount the tabs. A few grand and they had a platform to install the tabs.
Old thread I know….what years are considered the “later models” with the redesigned hull?