WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

out of state car delivery

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Any body know what it needed to do an out of state car delivery? Do I have a way of doing it without the dealer? Can I setup my own way to get it there?

riverroyal

Reaction score
Just deliver? Any car transport company can do that. Based on milage. Pretty easy deal
My folks do it all the time. Where to where?

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
Any body know what it needed to do an out of state car delivery? Do I have a way of doing it without the dealer? Can I setup my own way to get it there?

All you need is a clean title, 2 copies of a bill of sale, a screwdriver and a razor blade.

Sign the title, and both copies of the bill of sale. Have the buyer sign both copies of the bill of sale, He gets one and you keep one. The screwdriver to remove your plates, and the razor blade to scrape your registration stickers.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I want to take a new car from dealer lot and get it to AZ. Will a Bill Of Lading keep the dealer and state of CA happy since I won't be paying sales tax in CA. I have friends who would pick it up and deliver for nothing just have to make dealer and state happy.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I want to take a new car from dealer lot and get it to AZ. Will a Bill Of Lading keep the dealer and state of CA happy since I won't be paying sales tax in CA. I have friends who would pick it up and deliver for nothing just have to make dealer and state happy.

Bill of Lading by licensed transporter is what's is needed.
Or delivered on a dealer plate with appropriate paperwork signed together at a notary in the delivered state.
Either of these worked for my dealership.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score

In that case you will need the "Certificate of Origin" and a bill of sale signed by the dealer. The dealer won't have a title, just the CoO. Once the vehicle gets a title, it's no longer considered new. That's where the depreciation in a new car comes from.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Assuming it's a new car, another option is paying the tax and getting a Ca.DMV one-trip-permit and drive it home....When you go to register it in Az you'll pay only the difference in tax. I did that multiple times with customers, the AZ tax was always a higher. Didn't have to dick around with shipping or trucker damage, etc.
Same thing though as Ouder mentioned, you'll get the CoO(we called 'em MSO) and your purchase agreement(bill of sale) proving the taxes paid.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Bill of Lading by licensed transporter is what's is needed.
Or delivered on a dealer plate with appropriate paperwork signed together at a notary in the delivered state.
Either of these worked for my dealership.

delivered on dealer plate is them or somebody else using the plate that says dealer on it? Transporter is anybody with a trucking licensed? I am trying to help this dealer since he hasn't really done it.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
delivered on dealer plate is them or somebody else using the plate that says dealer on it? Transporter is anybody with a trucking licensed? I am trying to help this dealer since he hasn't really done it.

That's how it is supposed to be, delivered by a dealer employee.
Transporter, basically a license carrier. I used a local flatbed tow company most of the time.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Assuming it's a new car, another option is paying the tax and getting a Ca.DMV one-trip-permit and drive it home....When you go to register it in Az you'll pay only the difference in tax. I did that multiple times with customers, the AZ tax was always a higher. Didn't have to dick around with shipping or trucker damage, etc.
Same thing though as Ouder mentioned, you'll get the CoO(we called 'em MSO) and your purchase agreement(bill of sale) proving the taxes paid.

Tax is now cheaper in AZ only 5.6% and CA is never going to refund anything to me. I only thinking about this as I will be registering it in AZ in 1 year when I retire so trying to just keep CA out of it.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
I just did one to Erinburgh AZ, I have a notary meet me to sign and stamp a out of state form and return it to the dealer for the board of equalization. BOA-48 Also, make sure your person buys fuel or something to confirm they were actually out of CA.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Man, I'd think the selling dealership would make this a piece of cake...?

They sling cars around all the time.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

I did a handfull of them each year. I knew a lot of dealers that didn't want to bother with it. I think dealing with the tax part of it made them nervous.
I am just looking for the cheapest way out just in case
[emoji106] we all do it.[emoji41]

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score

while living in Havasu .

Took a 5 day road trip and saw some of this beautiful country .

A competent dealer could complete all the paperwork while the vehicle was being detailed .........

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I've bought several new cars and they give me a 48 hour temp tag to get it to ARIZONA to register it. Some others have chosen to meet me in Laughlin and do the deal in a parking lot with a notary. On our boat the Havasu dealer took it to Laughlin for the delivery and then I registered it in Montana. Same with motorhome and a few of our cars. Typically it has to be a cash deal, lenders usually won't work with you on this type of arrangement.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Typically it has to be a cash deal, lenders usually won't work with you on this type of arrangement.

Really?
When I bought my toy hauler (private party) the bank asked what state I wanted to register it in. I said Arizona, done deal.

Is that a fundamentally different situation?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Each state is probably different to a degree but with Cali the steps I and Jefftowz bring up are the 'right way' of doing it and keeping Cali off your and the dealers back. There probably are other more sketchy ways to get it done...............but as a dealer I'd likely refuse them.
I did have a couple instances where the deal was done all by mail and car stayed with me until the customer arrived with plates from his home state and drove it home. He paid for car and got all the pertinent paperwork from me. With that he walked into his DMV(MVD or whatever) registered and plated the car.

jeffymurray1957

Reaction score
I was in the auto transport business for 20 years, The car must be loaded at the dealership onto a legit transport with the proper MC and DOT numbers. The trucking company must give the selling dealer a fully filled out bill of lading and the car must be TRUCKED across state lines out of calif. If you are caught driving the car in calif and get a ticket you will screw the pooch. Any selling new car store knows that you can not drive the car out of the store without paying the sales tax.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I was in the auto transport business for 20 years, The car must be loaded at the dealership onto a legit transport with the proper MC and DOT numbers. The trucking company must give the selling dealer a fully filled out bill of lading and the car must be TRUCKED across state lines out of calif. If you are caught driving the car in calif and get a ticket you will screw the pooch. Any selling new car store knows that you can not drive the car out of the store without paying the sales tax.

Interesting. I did pay the tax on a most of them before the dealer drove them to Laughlin, the Arizona just charges for reg fees. On our boat and motorhome I didn't pay any sales tax, dealers met me in Laughlin.