WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

7.3l injectors help

4Waters

Reaction score
I have a 2001 7.3l with a long crank to start. I have diagnosed it as the injector o-rings have failed, before you ask the hpop is full of oil and the hpop builds 3000psi in 2-3sec. What I am looking for is a complete rebuild kit all I can find is an o-ring kit I do not want to spend 1000.00 on rebuilt injectors and I don't want to just put outer o-rings on if they are out of the truck I would rather rebuild them. I am not afraid to do my own work just need a complete kit does anyone know where to possibly get a kit. Thanks

badluck

Reaction score
What other issues/symptoms were you having? I think mine are bad too. I'm using oil but it's not leaking or smoking. Truck misses but it sits for a few months at a time. After some fuel additive/cleaner it runs great. Thought it could be bad orings on the injectors. I'll be following this thread.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
I used to buy those o-ring kits from J&S diesel here in Vegas. I'd imagine any injector shop should have them though.

Long crank times can also be the crank/cam position sensor on the 7.3 PS. Already checked/replaced that?

4Waters

Reaction score
I used to buy those o-ring kits from J&S diesel here in Vegas. I'd imagine any injector shop should have them though.
Thanks I'll see if they have a rebuild kit
Long crank times can also be the crank/cam position sensor on the 7.3 PS. Already checked/replaced that?
Yes been replaced

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Call 7144707478. Ask for Trenton. Let him take it from there. He in upland. Done done and done.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
The 7.3 is known for injector cup issues. There is fixes for it that don't take long. It might not be the o rings

4Waters

Reaction score
What other issues/symptoms were you having? I think mine are bad too. I'm using oil but it's not leaking or smoking. Truck misses but it sits for a few months at a time. After some fuel additive/cleaner it runs great. Thought it could be bad orings on the injectors. I'll be following this thread.
That's it, 12-15 sec crank injector o-rings are usually the culprit at 150k the other problem could be with the hpop (high pressure oil pump) there is an allen plug in the top take it out and oil should be no lower than 1in if it's low then it's a check valve labor intensive but cheap fix if it's full then you need to check hpop pressure you can check both engine banks separately so you know what side the injector is on im just going to replace them all dont want to fix 1 and another fail in 5k, I just deadheaded the pump and it pumps up fine, if it pumps up slow then it's an hpop. It could also but rare an ICP sensor it's on the driver's side head topside front, pull the plug and if it is wet replace it with factory part only, but that might not fix it it will only be 1 problem fixed. See pic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170224-171754.jpg
    Screenshot_20170224-171754.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 140

Your ad here

Reaction score
A symptom of bad orings is blue smoke on start up. While common on obs trucks I rarely read this happening on Superdutys. Take the fuel bowl lid off before a cold start and if the fuel is dark that is another sign of orings. RiffRaff diesel, Strictly diesel, Swamps diesel should have what you are looking for. If you are close to Chino, Domestic Diesel is a great shop.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Going to follow this thread as well. The only time my 7.3 doesn't start right away, is when I haven't changed the oil for awhile.

I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Going to follow this thread as well. The only time my 7.3 doesn't start right away, is when I haven't changed the oil for awhile.

I'm interested to see how this turns out.

How is the oil level when it has long starts?

Hullbilly

Reaction score
If you guys running 7.3's want to talk 7.3's call hypermax in Gilberts Il, Jerry and his late partner Max were the godfathers of the 7.3..... Max was a friend of mine, spent lots of time at the strip with him when he was building his Ex. The staff there are pretty darn sharp and willing to help out troubleshooting, and they sell all sorts of inhouse go fast parts

Your ad here

Reaction score
Is this only an issue on cold start? Could the problem be glow plugs?

4Waters

Reaction score

Warm or cold if it is shut off for 10sec or more, I did forget to say I did check oil pressure in the head before I deadheaded the hpop and pressure was slow to build, dirty fuel is a problem if the concern has been ignored for a while I quit driving it after a few days, puff of smoke hit or miss unless it's been ignored for a while as well cracked cups usually creates problems in the cooling system. So it's gotta be o-rings.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Cold starts are a bitch for me cause of the tuner I use!

When it's tuned stock, it starts cold (and I'm talking Big Bear cold) no problem.

When it's tuned for full power, it almost won't start! But I'm Not putting it back to stock. [emoji12]

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I have some experience with the 7.3, just sold my Baby to Waterjunky last fall.
If you determine it is the O-Rings on the Injectors bleeding down, contact Clay at Riff-Raff Diesel in Oregon and by your O-Rings from him, he sells Alliant O-Rings, which are the only ones you want on your truck. You will have to call and leave a message but he will get back to you.
The PCM needs to see 500 PSI of OIL pressure before it will fire the injectors.
If you determine the HPOP is bad, contact Joey at Terminator Engineering in Modesto, Ca. Tell him you want to build it to a T-500, and tell him Jeff from NorCal with the 97 sent you...
My truck was live tuned by Jody at DP-Tuner. F-5 tuner. It would smoke when starting in the cold, but only for a minute or so, on any tune. Make sure your Glow system is good, don't use any NAPA or other crap for the glow system...the relay, the glow plugs and harnesses all need to be factory quality stuff...Clay at Riff Raff has most of that, too.

As far as rebuilding them at home, well..I wouldn't. If you can get in touch with Mike at Farmers Diesel Performance in Texas he is who I used. To do these things right and flow them you need a flow bench...find someone close to you that has a good reputation and will back what they sell and do that.

If you plan to keep this truck a long time buy the Auto-Enginuity program for your laptop. If you had it you cold determine exactly what the problem is in about 15 minutes. Not cheap but worth every cent...