WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

JUST BOUGHT THIS ONE

FAST EDDIE

Reaction score
Anybody know anything about it? DSC_0119.jpg DSC_0124.jpg DSC_0125.jpg Image05272016123225.jpg Image06032016193839.jpg Image06032016194008.jpg

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
It's a vdrive, with plates.

You already had me at hello.

Brian

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Looks like a nice Campbell 20 to me, I was not aware they made a 22' as well RB? Got any details on them? I must be misinformed, I thought they went 20-24-26?

Rickybobby

Reaction score
SB

Check these guys out
http://www.campbellboatowners.org/!boatowners-22.html

http://www.campbellboatowners.org/br-1981_dc_22.html

The word is that the 22 rides much nicer than the 20??? My son has a 20 and I have a 24, night and day difference between them. His is more of a hot rod while mine is a cruiser, think Camaro vs. Caddy???

22's seem to have their own following. I have seen a few and they are sweet, but for me, the reason I went for a 24 was I was tired of getting beat up on the lake in a smaller boat, maybe just getting old ???

ps
No 26's. 20,22,24,28,32,35.40. I have a 57 Campbell that is 17-18??? There are several 28's (fly bridge and non fly bridge) and there are a few 32's floating around as well as at least one 35 and one wood 40. The 40 was owned by Dan Blocker (Lady in Cement) and the only thing left is the transom. Double Martini is a 35 and has been restored and playin the big blue down south.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Fast Eddie
Check the hull# on the upper right hand conner of the exterior transom, if it has a CBL at the beginning, it came out of the Campbell molds. If it has something else, could be a splash or a spectra ???

sangerflattbottom

Reaction score
Looks like a nice Campbell 20 to me, I was not aware they made a 22' as well RB? Got any details on them? I must be misinformed, I thought they went 20-24-26?

Here is a shot of my 84 22' laid up by Biesemeyer when Norm Brown had possession of the molds. I also had a 22' Campbell built in 81 named Marooned. The 22' has a slightly larger seating area and rides nice but nothing like the 24's.

Attachments

• Campbell 22.JPG
    Campbell 22.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 238

FAST EDDIE

Reaction score
Come on guys, the step in the chine gives it away as a Campbell 20, there's a pic of it in the campbells owners forum on the Campbell site, but the no info on the previous owners, trying to find out who spent all the $ on this one, no #'s on the transom tells me it's an early one, I was hoping somebody would know the boat. I'll be keeping everything the same, I'll redo the upholstery keeping the same layout, and maybe change the steering to cable & quadrant, definitely changing the V-drive to a split case casale, the parallel walters tells me how old this one is. Image09302016151715.jpg

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Fast Eddie, not sure how to say this without sounding like a Campbell snob, but because it looks like a Campbell does not mean it is or isn't a Campbell. Just like every other successful boat manufacture, Campbell's were splashed and reproduced under "no name" or in some instances "big name" boat makers (http://www.campbellboatowners.org/cl-10-08_72-24-DC.html). One of Bob and Billy's main designers, Bud Bailey, left Campbell to work at Sprectra Boats because (as the legend is told) he did not want to move to Havasu when the Campbell Brothers left Los Angeles. Hence the reason Sprectra's look amazingly similar to Campbells of the day. Because your boat dose not have a vin is not necessarily make it an "early" version. The vin could have been covered up in a previous gel coat or paint job?? but if you can find a CBL at the beginning of the vin that is a clue. I have personally seen several Campbells that had CBL at the beginning of their vin#'s but yet they were not on the registry?? (The boats were titled as Campbell's??).

There were several different configurations in the drivelines, but it seems the Campbells used what was easily available at the time. The set up you have is different and several boats were sold as "stage one" bare hulls and the owners rigged the boats themselves, which might explain the difference in the driveline???

I looked at the registry trying to find your boat, but could not seem to narrow it down. If you have more info on it, I might be able to help you track down pervious owners. In any event, that is a very cool boat and it will be a sweet ride, when you get her done. If you need anything, let me know. I know several guys who have spare parts and patterns for the interiors.
rb

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Fast Eddie, not sure how to say this without sounding like a Campbell snob, but because it looks like a Campbell does not mean it is or isn't a Campbell. Just like every other successful boat manufacture, Campbell's were splashed and reproduced under "no name" or in some instances "big name" boat makers (http://www.campbellboatowners.org/cl-10-08_72-24-DC.html). One of Bob and Billy's main designers, Bud Bailey, left Campbell to work at Sprectra Boats because (as the legend is told) he did not want to move to Havasu when the Campbell Brothers left Los Angeles. Hence the reason Sprectra's look amazingly similar to Campbells of the day. Because your boat dose not have a vin is not necessarily make it an "early" version. The vin could have been covered up in a previous gel coat or paint job?? but if you can find a CBL at the beginning of the vin that is a clue. I have personally seen several Campbells that had CBL at the beginning of their vin#'s but yet they were not on the registry?? (The boats were titled as Campbell's??).

There were several different configurations in the drivelines, but it seems the Campbells used what was easily available at the time. The set up you have is different and several boats were sold as "stage one" bare hulls and the owners rigged the boats themselves, which might explain the difference in the driveline???

I looked at the registry trying to find your boat, but could not seem to narrow it down. If you have more info on it, I might be able to help you track down pervious owners. In any event, that is a very cool boat and it will be a sweet ride, when you get her done. If you need anything, let me know. I know several guys who have spare parts and patterns for the interiors.
rb

Really ?

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Fast Eddie
Check the hull# on the upper right hand conner of the exterior transom, if it has a CBL at the beginning, it came out of the Campbell molds. If it has something else, could be a splash or a spectra ???

It's definitely not a Spectra, the upper deck is all Campbell.

They probably share the same bottom though, since Bud did them both. :thumbup:

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
It's out of a Campbell mold, and obvious at that .

The upper side deck (coaming) going down to the lower has a 'sharp' angle change . Spectra's/Howard's do not .

The leading edge of the deck 'rise' is 'bowed in', and few others do that . (most are straight)

The deadrise is very low, about 1/3rd of what the others have, and so it is a Campbell design . (Bud)

I don't recognize that particular boat, but I've been "in a van down by the river" for over 17 years now ...

Take a look at the 'halo bulkhead', or 'toeboard bulkhead' for any kind of ID numbers .........

guest hs

Reaction score
It's definitely not a Spectra, the upper deck is all Campbell.

They probably share the same bottom though, since Bud did them both. :thumbup:

Campbell 20 bottom and Spectra 20 bottom are nothing alike except their length.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Come on guys, look around. Explain to me what a Morris Campbell is ??? It looks like Campbell but there is no way to trace it back to "the" Campbell molds. Without a hull#, who knows what the heck it is?? It looks like a Campbell but that doesn't make it a Campbell. How many boats have been copied because they were the hot boat of time?? and who really cares anyway, its a bitchin boat!!! Lets see some pics of the redo!!!!

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Campbell 20 bottom and Spectra 20 bottom are nothing alike except their length.

Which one do you prefer namba860? Mind giving a short description of both?

Always wanting to learn about these day cruisers! :)