WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Chino Hills vs. Bishop Montgomery: HS Basketball

PokerRun388

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone cars, maybe BHC Vic will tune in, but Chino Hills vs. Bishop Montgomery are currently playing on Spectrum SportsNet. They are two of the top 5 HS basketball teams in the country. Chino Hills has only lost two games all year, to Oak Hill Academy & two weeks ago they lost to Mater Dei in OT.

Both Ball brothers at Chino Hills are committed to play at UCLA.

Chino Hills must win tonight if they want another chance to play Mater Dei.:thumbup:

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
My kid's High School played tonight and beat De La Salle. I don't know who they play next.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
The Ball brothers dad is a piece of work. Last years coach was the National coach of the year and quit. This years coach won't even talk with Lonzo.

78Southwind

Reaction score
The Balls house was broken into a little over an hour ago. Helicopters were flying all over the place.

TCHB

Reaction score
Sorry
My daughters went to Mater Dei!! Go Mater Dei!

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Mater Dei did win last night & will play Bishop Montgomery this Saturday night @ the Pyramid, in Long Beach. Keep in mind that Bishop just beat Mater Dei, 70-55, about two weeks ago.

I have to say that last night was only the second time I have watched Chino Hills play & wow, I couldn't believe that Chino had won that many games, playing the way that they do. Those two Ball Brothers play absolutely no defense & the older Ball half of the time, never crosses mid-court & that was brought up several times, during the broadcast. Both guys just throw up wild shots, over & over again, very undisciplined & it's difficult to watch. The one who is going to UCLA next season is really going to struggle in college, when he realizes that they play both ends of the court & that he actually has to pass the ball, to his teammates. That seems like a difficult team to coach, especially with their dad sitting right behind their bench, constantly talking over everyone.

Interesting deal all the way around - to watch from a far... I wish the Ball boys and their dad all the luck in the world. Fight On! The oldest (going to UCLA) has a great opportunity to prove it on the court with NCAA tournament, ride off into draft, and make good on the checks his dad is passing out. A single player at the college level can carry a team to a tournament win - 2003 Carmelo Anthony - Syracuse - drafted just behind Lebron James.

PR - being a sports fan - of all sports - is where I find last night's game really interesting. Those two boys, if properly coached, should have been able to run through the CIF tournament no problem. If they were the real deal - worth 1B. Execution on D, etc etc no team should have gotten close, with that much on the line. The point I am trying to make is the father has painted them in a corner with zero room for error. Perfection or failure. Todd Marronvich and Michelle Wie had varying levels of success on the field and course but never came close to their father's bar at the end of their playing days.

Those guys, all of them are going to make a ton of $$$. I am happy for them - sky is the limit - they are entertainers and that is what this country is built on. They also have a lot of other guys along side of them competing for those $$$. The youngest should try and win the CIF tournament before he graduates.

Trash

Reaction score
Mater Dei did win last night & will play Bishop Montgomery this Saturday night @ the Pyramid, in Long Beach. Keep in mind that Bishop just beat Mater Dei, 70-55, about two weeks ago.

I have to say that last night was only the second time I have watched Chino Hills play & wow, I couldn't believe that Chino had won that many games, playing the way that they do. Those two Ball Brothers play absolutely no defense & the older Ball half of the time, never crosses mid-court & that was brought up several times, during the broadcast. Both guys just throw up wild shots, over & over again, very undisciplined & it's difficult to watch. The one who is going to UCLA next season is really going to struggle in college, when he realizes that they play both ends of the court & that he actually has to pass the ball, to his teammates. That seems like a difficult team to coach, especially with their dad sitting right behind their bench, constantly talking over everyone.

The younger Ball kids do not impress me one bit. I concur with your assessment.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
the middle sun is suspect Liangelo. kid can shoot and score but hes slow and doesnt move well without the ball. UCLA will coach him up tho and he could end up being ok. Lamelo the youngest is just a sophomore and has no fear. The kid has handles and can flat out shoot the rock. He CAN play defense he just often does not. with both brothers off to UCLA it will be interesting to see him on his own. He will average 30+ a game but it will be difficult. I see the younger one becoming extremely good being alone without the older bros. Time will tell.

What most dont know is that all three boys are nothing like their dad. They are soft spoken well mannered boys. Dont blame the kids for having a retarded dad.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
The dad is just using the media to help promote his sons. He has no issues making ridiculous outlandish claims if it gets him on sports radio or espn.

Free promo is never bad and will end up getting all of them a contract and endorsement deals.

SKIA36

Reaction score
Being a Bishop Montgomery Alumni...class of '72, Im a homer.

Its hard to beat a team that can select and offer scholarships to the surrounding all stars.

sirbob

Reaction score
the middle sun is suspect Liangelo. kid can shoot and score but hes slow and doesnt move well without the ball. UCLA will coach him up tho and he could end up being ok. Lamelo the youngest is just a sophomore and has no fear. The kid has handles and can flat out shoot the rock. He CAN play defense he just often does not. with both brothers off to UCLA it will be interesting to see him on his own. He will average 30+ a game but it will be difficult. I see the younger one becoming extremely good being alone without the older bros. Time will tell.

What most dont know is that all three boys are nothing like their dad. They are soft spoken well mannered boys. Dont blame the kids for having a retarded dad.

The youngest ones are often the best - they have played their whole life against bigger stronger competition .

I watched the Samulson girls play basketball growing up - everybody that saw the older girls thought they were great. And they were - full rides to Stanford (one graduated the other a senior now).

But the youngest one is by far the best one - playing at U Conn now and lighting it up. She has already been setting records and she's only a sophomore.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
The youngest ones are often the best - they have played their whole life against bigger stronger competition .

I watched the Samulson girls play basketball growing up - everybody that saw the older girls thought they were great. And they were - full rides to Stanford (one graduated the other a senior now).

But the youngest one is by far the best one - playing at U Conn now and lighting it up. She has already been setting records and she's only a sophomore.

she is a badass!

LLGirl

sometimes Mr. LLGril ;)
Reaction score
My daughter's school (Esperanza) played Crossroads (Santa Monica) last night. Shaq's son Shareef plays for Crossroads. He missed a free throw and our side chanted "just like daddy". It's gotta be a little rough being the kid of a superstar and playing the same sport. Well... probably not too rough! Oh ya - we won!

sirbob

Reaction score
she is a badass!

We spent A LOT of time in the gym with her and her sisters - her dad coached my daughter starting in 6 grade.

She's a great kid and a great player!

Dirtbag

Reaction score
My daughter's school (Esperanza) played Crossroads (Santa Monica) last night. Shaq's son Shareef plays for Crossroads. He missed a free throw and our side chanted "just like daddy". It's gotta be a little rough being the kid of a superstar and playing the same sport. Well... probably not too rough! Oh ya - we won!

Esperanza class of '93

my daughter will be there asa freshman next year!

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Esperanza class of '93

my daughter will be there asa freshman next year!

Do you know Nate Fiske. He is a buddy of mine. Went on to play football at ucla and a short stint in NFL Europe.

You must be on the wrong side of the YLHS boundry for your daughter to go to Esperanza. lol

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Do you know Nate Fiske. He is a buddy of mine. Went on to play football at ucla and a short stint in NFL Europe.

You must be on the wrong side of the YLHS boundry for your daughter to go to Esperanza. lol

i do remember nate and his foot. i think he was younger than us tho....we actually live in YLHS boundary. Literally right around the corner from the school. My daughter wants to do the medical program at esperanza. Has goals of going to stanford on a volleyball scholarship and becoming a dr.

we had quite the crew in '93. We were national High School of the year in athletics after winning CIF in football baseball volleyball soccer and water polo. Our baseball team finished #2 in the country which was BS cause we beat the #1 and #2 teams in the country in the semifinals and finals.

Lots of bigtime athletes that year. Travis Kirschke went to UCLA and played 10 years with the Steelers. Brian Werner played football at Stanford and i hear he is a Dr now. My best bud won 2 National championships in Volleyball at UCLA and we had 3 other guys who went on to play d1 vball. I made it to the Big Leagues for a short stint.

78Southwind

Reaction score
[video=youtube;RGoGoO0Gz10]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGoGoO0Gz10[/video]

78Southwind

Reaction score
You can watch the entire video or start at 5m44s. Lonzo gets schooled by his younger brother Melo. I am pretty sure Melo is going to be the brightest start of the three brothers.

[video=youtube_https;hlZ8tSOcggE]https://youtu.be/hlZ8tSOcggE?t=5m44s[/video]

primetime

Reaction score
Bishop Montgomery all day long! My alma mater "93"

nowski

Reaction score
Lavar in Spanish means to "Wash Up"...

If the Ball's had a reality show it would be "Keeping Up With the Ball's...

nowski

Reaction score
How about "Wash Up Your Balls...

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Being a Bishop Montgomery Alumni...class of '72, Im a homer.

Its hard to beat a team that can select and offer scholarships to the surrounding all stars.
Woodcreek (my kid's school) is playing Bishop Montgomery for the state championship on Saturday. It will be interesting to see what happens. Woodcreek is a straight-up public school that doesn't recruit. I think I read that if they win, they would be the first public school to win the state championship. It sounds like they will have their hands full with BM. Should be a great game either way. I may go to the game.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Woodcreek HS or who they played, did they beat De La Salle? In any case, Bishop Montgomery will be a heavy favorite. They beat Mater Dei twice & Chino Hills. I was hoping Mater Dei would've one last night, but ended up loosing 60-53.
I am sure BM is heavily favored.

Woodcreek beat De La Salle, then Sheldon to get it the finals.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Woodcreek HS or who they played, did they beat De La Salle? In any case, Bishop Montgomery will be a heavy favorite. They beat Mater Dei twice & Chino Hills. I was hoping Mater Dei would've one last night, but ended up loosing 60-53.
Like I said. Woodcreek isn't a sports powerhouse. They do very well in aquatics... water polo and Swimming.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
The Ball family story is gonna be interesting to follow. The old man has set a very lofty goal for his kids. The videos I've watched show very little defense and way too many long wild passes that will be turnovers against structured competition.

What I've noted over the years is how these b-ball academy kids and self promoted stars often burn out or peak way before they get to the higher levels. Many just never understand the discipline involved in reaching the top levels of play or how to fit into a structured program against similar levels of competition.

Plus when a parent with the elder Ball's ego is part of the package, big programs and NBA GM's shy away from the future hassle he creates. We'll see how things go. They come across as good kids who hopefully figure out the show.....Good luck to them.:thumbsup