WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Refinishing wood waterski

Warpt

Reaction score
I got a old wood maha that needs to be refinished and am curious if anyone here has redone one? It's not to bad just some areas where the laquer has started to flake off. I am wondering how should I go about stripping the old varnish and what to use to recote it that will leave a nice shiny finish?

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I have my Dad's old Maha...my Sister used it a s prop in her backyard and had it leaned up against the house in Colorado. I don't think it is salvageable. :thumbsdown:thumbsdown

Oilman

Reaction score
I got a old wood maha that needs to be refinished and am curious if anyone here has redone one? It's not to bad just some areas where the laquer has started to flake off. I am wondering how should I go about stripping the old varnish and what to use to recote it that will leave a nice shiny finish?

The finish on your Maha is epoxy. Not sure what product Bob uses.
If it's too far gone to patch the damaged areas which would be preferable then use a chemical stripper before sanding. I would only sand enough to smooth the surface before applying a new coat of epoxy.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score

You might call Bob Maher and ask what he charges, I know he will refinish his skis. https://maherajah.com/

work2ski

Reaction score
I refinished my 360 about 5 years ago. West Marine has a 2 part varnish (2/3 varnish 1/3 hardener). I sanded the varnish Bob had on it until it was smooth, then used an air gun to spray the ski. Turned out way better than new. Currently working on 2 additional skis and will brush these instead of using an air gun. Don't bother trying to strip the old varnish, you don't need bare wood.

Good luck!

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I refinished my 360 about 5 years ago. West Marine has a 2 part varnish (2/3 varnish 1/3 hardener). I sanded the varnish Bob had on it until it was smooth, then used an air gun to spray the ski. Turned out way better than new. Currently working on 2 additional skis and will brush these instead of using an air gun. Don't bother trying to strip the old varnish, you don't need bare wood.

Good luck!

I bought Campbell Carls beloved Maharajah and Connolly wood skis. Just picked up a vintage Obrien also.
They are banged up a little, so I want to give them a little love.
Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I re-finished all these Brad Skis a few years back, used a DA with 180 to 220 then blocked with 400 to 600, added a pink stripe for my daughter and then shoot them with Southern Poly clear, the same clear I used on my boat and they came out cool. I did the same thing when I was a kid but I learned something, this time I took grey scotch brite and scuffed to bottom, did not do that when I was younger and I fell on my ass when I got on top of it the first time. The funny thing is my dad was waiting for me to do it, got back to the beach and he took the ski and rubbed it in the sand and "all good"

Attachments

• IMG_1241.jpg
    IMG_1241.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_1262.jpg
    IMG_1262.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 299