WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

68 Baron Hallett Jet

Ruckus 74

Reaction score
IMG_2382.jpg IMG_2361.jpg IMG_2381.jpg Does anyone have an objection to moving the pump back in this boat ?
I'm not sure if I would be losing some of the nostalgic value ???
I'm excited to gain around 12 in. Of room for seating.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Any input on this would be appreciated.
Thanks

Haven't had mine since the early 80's, but when I had the pump blueprinted they mentioned this was a possibility. I never had the money in those days to consider it.

It is rather unique the way they came from the factory. As far as any kind of resale I don't think were talking classic cars here, but I do feel your dilemma.

Maybe someone who actually restores classic boats will chime in.

In those days I didn't even think twice about adding the Bassett's.:D

BTW this is a 69.

Good luck and post your project....:thumbsup 20160123_115143.jpg

Ruckus 74

Reaction score
Haven't had mine since the early 80's, but when I had the pump blueprinted they mentioned this was a possibility. I never had the money in those days to consider it.

It is rather unique the way they came from the factory. As far as any kind of resale I don't think were talking classic cars here, but I do feel your dilemma.

Maybe someone who actually restores classic boats will chime in.

In those days I didn't even think twice about adding the Bassett's.:D

BTW this is a 69.

Good luck and post your project....:thumbsup View attachment 547745

Nice boat ! Thanks for your input. I'm sure there is a purist out there that will think I'm crazy for changing the pump location.
I will post pics as go. This should be a fun build. Stay tuned 👍

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Old Rigger, posted years ago, (it could've been here in the early days, PB, or even HB) about pump placement during this era, and why builders at this time did what they did.

As I'm sure you know, adding a Droop or Extending the Nozzle, is going to be way easier and less costly than actually moving the intake.

I'd leave it :thumbsup

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure but I believe this is the model my dad had when I was a kid. I don't remember it having quite as much v at the transom? But it was decades ago and I was less than 13 years old.
I do know it had a jacuzzi pump/olds 455 and the pump was hanging out it a way we typically see today. The inspection plate was in the boat so it wasn't set back extremely.

The back seat was smallish but managed to fit a ten year old me and two large dogs in there.

It's your boat, I say set it up how it fits your needs and wants.

Ruckus 74

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure but I believe this is the model my dad had when I was a kid. I don't remember it having quite as much v at the transom? But it was decades ago and I was less than 13 years old.
I do know it had a jacuzzi pump/olds 455 and the pump was hanging out it a way we typically see today. The inspection plate was in the boat so it wasn't set back extremely.

The back seat was smallish but managed to fit a ten year old me and two large dogs in there.

It's your boat, I say set it up how it fits your needs and wants.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your input. I will post pics as I go.👍

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I had to run a drop down grate on my old Hallett because it would suck air at top speed even on smooth water, I'm thinking moving it back might take care of any problem like that.

Looking good, you obviously know what you're doing.:thumbsup

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Cool project. This should be in the restorations and upgrade section.
While you're there you might look into putting a " bump" in front of the intake. Dont know if anyone does that anymore but might be worth looking into since you are already there.
I see alot of CSM and would be interested in your glassing schedule. 1708, cloth etc?
Love the oldies and metalflake.

Ruckus 74

Reaction score
Cool project. This should be in the restorations and upgrade section.
While you're there you might look into putting a " bump" in front of the intake. Dont know if anyone does that anymore but might be worth looking into since you are already there.
I see alot of CSM and would be interested in your glassing schedule. 1708, cloth etc?
Love the oldies and metalflake.

I didn't know about the restoration and upgrade section, that would make sense, I'm new here.
I am planning to put a little bump in front of the intake and increase the delta.
I can't wait till this weekend it's getting fun now.
I made a custom paste with chopped fibers,milled fibers and Q-cell. This holds the piece In place to be glassed in.
Then ground smooth, then 4 layers of matt on the bottom and top off with cloth.
Flip the boat over and do the same on the inside, maybe finish with carbon fiber for a nice touch.