WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bishop trip with my Pops

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
Headed up to Bishop this last week with my Pops and a few friends. I personally have been doing this trip for over 20 years, but my Pops has been going up there since the 60's when you use to be able to camp along the Owens. We stay in a hotel and generally hit the Owens for a day and the Pleasant Valley Reservoir for a couple. We headed up there knowing that the water was going to be flowing fast and high, making for some tough fishing. And to boot, it was a full moon. Knowing this, I would never miss a chance to spend some quality time with my Pops as he is not getting any younger.
Warm Springs Rd.jpg
This was the bridge at Warm Springs Road and the Owens. Holy Shit the water was high! The water level here is generally 6-8 feet below the bridge allowing this area to have lots of shore which we enjoy fishing off of.
Swing Owens.jpg
This is what we call the Swing, which is on the Owens between Line Rd and Warm Springs. We are usually able to fish down the embankment on the shore, but hell no this time. Water was hauling ass through here. My cousin caught a small Brown here, but otherwise we got skunked!
Pops standing at resevoir.jpg
My Pops with the Reservoir behind him. We hit this for two days, and wow, the first time in years that we haven't even had a bite. I tried Castmasters and good ole Power Bait, and nothing. Still did not matter as the beer was always cold and the conversation with my Pops and friends was always entertaining.
Bishop Selfie.jpg
My Pops first selfie:D Cherish the times with Family!!!!!!!!!!

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
I fished that area all the time in my teens. I think that "swing" area you speak of was the spot of some epic bites. :thumbsup

The first time I found it, I hooked two nice fish on two casts. I went back to the camper and I took a friend back. Fish on the first cast again and as I'm getting the fish off I hear my buddies reel start screaming. The bastard landed an 8 lb. bow!! :grumble:

Beerme

Reaction score
I fished that area all the time in my teens. I think that "swing" area you speak of was the spot of some epic bites. :thumbsup

The first time I found it, I hooked two nice fish on two casts. I went back to the camper and I took a friend back. Fish on the first cast again and as I'm getting the fish off I hear my buddies reel start screaming. The bastard landed an 8 lb. bow!! :grumble:
Nice!!!!! It stories like yours that keep me going back. I usually take my son, he's 15, but he had a track meet this year. That is the stuff I want him to experience! Hopefully one day he'll catch a lunker!! Below was my dad's stringer a few years back.
Lunker.jpg

old rigger

Reaction score
Cool stuff. My son and I go up there every year too. This year might be tough as their expecting their first baby in the summer. We've been staying up in the high country for the last 3 or 4 years but always hit a few of our favorite spots in the valley.

If you were to sit looking down stream where you took that picture of the bridge, throw your line in, grab a cool one it'd look like, well you know what it'd look like. :)

IMG_1602.jpg

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Good stuff :thumbup:

I haven't stream fished in years. Looking forward to slowing down and throwing a line in.

Beerme

Reaction score
Cool stuff. My son and I go up there every year too. This year might be tough as their expecting their first baby in the summer. We've been staying up in the high country for the last 3 or 4 years but always hit a few of our favorite spots in the valley.

If you were to sit looking down stream where you took that picture of the bridge, throw your line in, grab a cool one it'd look like, well you know what it'd look like. :)

View attachment 549276

Great Pic! Definitely Gods Country! Congrats on your Grandchild:champagne:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Great stuff.

We camp on the Owen's between Mammoth and June Lake. There is a free first come first serve campground East of the main road a bit. (West too, but not on the river)

But I have a top secret spot up there too.

PM me for info.

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Great Pic! Definitely Gods Country! Congrats on your Grandchild:champagne:

Have you been to Montana? The Sierras are beautiful, but if can get the chance, get to Montana!!! :thumbsup

This is my friend Joel, he's a guide up there. Freaking guy can catch a fish out of the gutter!!!

Attachments

• Joel's Brown.jpg
    Joel's Brown.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 216
  • Joel's Rainbow.jpg
    Joel's Rainbow.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 206

Beerme

Reaction score
Have you been to Montana? The Sierras are beautiful, but if can get the chance, get to Montana!!! :thumbsup

This is my friend Joel, he's a guide up there. Freaking guy can catch a fish out of the gutter!!!

That looks like a good time! Going to have to plan a trip:eek

77charger

Reaction score
My parents use to take us up there in the late 70s as kids my dads cousins and friends always fished there.We use to camp along the owens near collins road always a fun time wanted to go there back in 2000 but heard no more caming along the river there anymore.

We began doing camp trips with wife and kids to mammoth the past 4 years works well staying at twin lakes we can all do something.

Beerme

Reaction score
My parents use to take us up there in the late 70s as kids my dads cousins and friends always fished there.We use to camp along the owens near collins road always a fun time wanted to go there back in 2000 but heard no more caming along the river there anymore.

We began doing camp trips with wife and kids to mammoth the past 4 years works well staying at twin lakes we can all do something.

I'm with you on mammoth. Heading up there Sunday with my son. My wife heads up for the week with my daughter's cross country team so we just make it a family week trip. Hoping to hit twin lakes, convict, june lake, and maybe take a drive up to Ellery. I hear their is still a shitton of snow up there!

WildHorses24

Reaction score
I'm with you on mammoth. Heading up there Sunday with my son. My wife heads up for the week with my daughter's cross country team so we just make it a family week trip. Hoping to hit twin lakes, convict, june lake, and maybe take a drive up to Ellery. I hear their is still a shitton of snow up there!
We just came back from mammoth last weekend... Ellery was beautiful but no snow when we drove by. This was Saddlebag...we had snow ball fights on our hike!
Also made a quick stop in Alabama Hills to take a pic at the window arche... my wife and climbed Whitney in 2015 so it was cool to find this place with it in the back ground.
bd6cb8b0800d5426dd9466af53526be0.jpg
2244cc2eb6b4b84e938d7692619cac29.jpg

Beerme

Reaction score
We just came back from mammoth last weekend... Ellery was beautiful but no snow when we drove by. This was Saddlebag...we had snow ball fights on our hike!
Also made a quick stop in Alabama Hills to take a pic at the window arche... my wife and climbed Whitney in 2015 so it was cool to find this place with it in the back ground.
bd6cb8b0800d5426dd9466af53526be0.jpg
2244cc2eb6b4b84e938d7692619cac29.jpg

Great pics! I love Saddlebag! I hated to hear that the restaurant/shop was damaged too badly to open this year. By the way, Saddlebag is for sale, supposedly around 350K for the restaurant and boating/dock rights. Wish I was ready to retire I would love to run that place. We ended up fishing at Lake Mary, Convict, and Rush Creek. My son and I did a lot of hiking also, had a blast. I love it up there!!!
Trip 2 convict me and b.jpg Trip 2 convict.jpg trip 2 inyo crater.jpg Trip 2 mel and b.jpg Trip 2 Mel and dogs.jpg