WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Want to Ditch DirecTV

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before here at length and I've read some of the topics, but am looking for a simple answer. DirecTV (as I'm sure many of you have experienced) keeps slowly raising my prices and I'm looking for a good alternative. I have FIOS, which I plan to keep and it seems like streaming stuff might be better using a Firestick or Magic Box or one of those devices I really don't understand fully yet.

I have a basic DirecTV package with local channels, some movie channels (TNT, Spike, etc.) and would like to keep those. I don't care about sports channels.

What are the best options and the associated costs to obtain them along with any monthly charges?

lineman's holiday

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before here at length and I've read some of the topics, but am looking for a simple answer. DirecTV (as I'm sure many of you have experienced) keeps slowly raising my prices and I'm looking for a good alternative. I have FIOS, which I plan to keep and it seems like streaming stuff might be better using a Firestick or Magic Box or one of those devices I really don't understand fully yet.

I have a basic DirecTV package with local channels, some movie channels (TNT, Spike, etc.) and would like to keep those. I don't care about sports channels.

What are the best options and the associated costs to obtain them along with any monthly charges?

we bought a renegade box & smartstream box here. both boxes worked well. dropped dish network and getting ready to pull the plug on cable too. you only need
a internet service.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score

Firestick with Kodi. You can watch everything you want except local news type stuff (I think, I have only had mine a short time).

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I cut the chord and dropped cable, I only have OTA for the local channels... I watch a fraction of the TV I used to, lost 10 lbs and remodeled a boat instead... But SlingTV will get you what you want over internet for 25-40 bucks a month, only downside is no DVR...

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I cut the chord and dropped cable, I only have OTA for the local channels... I watch a fraction of the TV I used to, lost 10 lbs and remodeled a boat instead... But SlingTV will get you what you want over internet for 25-40 bucks a month, only downside is no DVR...

I was going to suggest this. I bought my mom sling blue because it included all the shows she already watches like bravo, hgtv, lifetime ect ect.....Not a bad package for the price you pay and their addons are reasonably priced

sling.jpg
Sling1.jpg

In regards to the dvr issue....they dont have dvr perse but you do have the option to go back and replay shows or movies that have already played on the schedule.
For example...you can go back and watch "military salute" or "military grill battle" if you wanted to.

sling2.jpg

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
We only have cable for internet, no TV. We have a firestick we bought from a member here, a Streamsmart Pro, and a Renegade Box. Wife has Hulu for something. You can watch the local news when it's on, at least I've found the local LA NBC news streams, and a few San Diego News channels as well. I've yet to find something I wanted to watch that I couldn't on the box. Usually I find stuff that I had no idea existed that I end up watching.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
DTV has a streaming package now too. Wanna say it's only like 30-40/mo. Prolly not the same as their channel packages... but maybe an alternative.

Tank

Reaction score
We were paying $160 for 5 direct tv boxes HD/recorders. No premium channels. Plus $15 for Netflix and $15 for hbogo.

Bought the netmaster box switched to time Warner / Comcast for 2 weeks and they SUUUUUUCKED. called back Dirext tv got all my boxes hd dvrs back basic package for $50 a month and 2 year contract! I can watch any and everything on the netmaster box so don't really need regular tv anymore. Only kept it for the kids to watch cartoons in the living room and their rooms - saving roughly $150 a month and happier than ever with options. I can't keep up with all the shit that's available on the netmaster.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Do not get Uverse. We have it and it sucks.

If I can clear some trees to get a line of sight to the birds, I'm going back to DTV.

One Particular Harbor

Reaction score
Just a note on DIRECTV. If you've been with them a while, it's worth calling and asking for customer retention (you have to ask specifically for that department, they can't volunteer it). I did this the other day and they knocked about $100 a month off my bill. Just don't let them give you any new equipment or they'll re-up your contract for two years. Worth the 15-minute phone call.

jpf091959

Reaction score
Hey a little different question. I switched from Dish to Direct and hate it, but I have a two year promotional contract. I am moving into a new house. Any way to get out of the contract. Direct TV is slow and I loose signal on foggy days, rainy days, etc.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Hey a little different question. I switched from Dish to Direct and hate it, but I have a two year promotional contract. I am moving into a new house. Any way to get out of the contract. Direct TV is slow and I loose signal on foggy days, rainy days, etc.

Call them bitches out and have them re-calibrate your dish maybe. I have had DTV for yeeeears and have almost never had issues. :D

Ricks raft

Reaction score

Sling has dvr now

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

If you like Dish over DTV you have other issues!:p:p

As far as your signal it sounds like the dish needs aligned. Rain fade does happen, but it usually takes very heavy rain to affect the signal.