WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Is the OfferUP app replacing CL??

Cray Paper

Reaction score
As some posters know I am looking for a very specific vehicle for my 14 YO sons first car. I have been deep diving on the web and mainly focusing on Craigslist and search engines that are based off of CL's. I am doing that because it's what I know, and I don't buy stuff very often and always go back to what worked in the past. Also used Auto trader and some other typical on line based resources and didn't get the results I wanted. I found that churning CL with different wording, spelling etc provided much different results.

I have also let some people at work know what I am looking for and today my safety guy told me he found several rigs to look at on his phone. He was using the "OfferUP" app. I had assumed most people still used CL to sell stuff, but this guy who is 10 years older than me who is in to jeep stuff showed me that this App had more hits for what I was looking for than CL.

Anyone have a good or bad experience with buying or selling with this app? I am buying so I know all the risk is on me, but is it replacing CL?

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
I still use both, offer up is more active in my experience, I bought a car last sunday for my kid and it was listed on both

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Never looked at this offer up thing until your post. In 3 minutes i found an item i've been looking for!

Recently I listed some 33x12.50 tires on CL. Not one hit in a week. Then someone told me to list them on the local facebook online garage sale page. I found one, joined and I did. Within 2 hours they sold and had 3 others in line.

DAB

Reaction score
I've used it for 2 years now.. Great app and I sell a lot of stuff on it. Still use CL construction tools and specialty ones.. Great app for me..

Cray Paper

Reaction score
I found my boat on CL back around 2012, it was in Mesa AZ. I towed it home and right off the bat some of my neighbors said they had seen it before on Lake Stevens. I was like NFW, I knew the guy I bought it from hadn't owned it very long and that it had CA registration as well as a marina sticker from the great lakes area on the trailer. Kinda pissed me off, I thought I was bringing home something different and would at least get a little ego boost for hitting the water with this new toy. I took it to Cars Toys a couple of years later to have amps, a new head unit and new speakers installed. The shop foreman came out to look the boat over and said he had worked on it a couple of years ago and the owner was a dick and had beat the crap out of the boat. He said the guy was from the Lake Stevens area.

Back to the OfferUP app, I searched for boats today and came across this -
https://offerup.com/item/detail/238767811/?ref=Search&event_source=001e7240b3264ef7add49a1a98314ef3

Same graphics as mine.

The seller is asking a lot for a boat with no engine, not sure if it has a drive.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Had a patio full of outboard motors.
Kids sold them all in one day on Offer Up.
The fuckballs will eventually find a way to cause problems on there, but for now it's the way to roll.

Craiglist seems to bring Russian Ex cons and creeps to the house with ridiculous schemes and the wife had a problem with that.

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
I think Facebook has taken a huge share of the market. In fact when I sold my boat it was on a Yuma Facebook group. A couple of months ago I sold a truck as well. Buying tends to be much better as the audience is much smaller and not subjective to nation wide buyers.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Casting a wider to reach more buyers, and a larger audience, is usually a good thing...?

At any rate I've use Facebook's local classified to move some stuff. But I also use CL. Haven't tried any of the other apps yet.

HitIt

Reaction score
Trying out selling on offerup and letgo right now. Just some random crap. I will report back. So far, 2 scam messages on offerup.

jones performance

Reaction score
i bought my boat from a user here that posted a pic of it and said "id sell this" in a thread. hell i wasnt even looking to buy a boat lol.

facebook has a ton of classifieds, problem is when your looking for a specific item it makes it harder to find sometimes. i havent tried the letgo or offerup apps yet, there is a specific car that i want and check craigslist every other week to see if it pops up but guess i need to take a look at these other apps now too.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I've never even heard of offerup before, but will check it out today. I need to get rid of some kids bikes and toys etc...

RD

Cgrohe223

Reaction score
Had no luck selling the old boat on Craig's for a few months, posted it on offer up just to see and sure enough it was gone in a week and a half [emoji1303]

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
I never heard of offer up until I read about it here today. I had a light fixture I wanted to get rid of from a kitchen remodel. Put it on CL two weeks ago and nothing. Put it on OfferUp today and it sold.

bryzmon

Not a Member
Reaction score
After reading this, setup Offer Up account and posted a couple of items for sale. Bid / Requested info on 2 motorcycles from different sellers, never got a response. Did some searching for the items I listed for sale and they would not appear in the search. Emailed Offer Up technical support, heard nothing back from them. Deleted the App, back to Craigslist. Sold both items in 2 days.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
seems to be stealing wifi from others to send me Emails .

TEN different Email heading names, yet always with his name and message below .

Guy demands my phone number, yet I have not missed one of his Emails with a reply .

Had I wanted my phone number all over the net, I would have placed it in the CL ad .

PLENTY of 'lookers' but still have not sold this old Vette .

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Posted my 5th wheel on offerup monday, got one email instantly "I would like you buy your 5th wheel", another that said he was on a special usmc mission that was classified and he would have to pay with paypal and pick it up later.

Seems no different than CL for selling to me.

HitIt

Reaction score
Tried and removed both LetGo and OfferUp. Tried to sell a few things and got a bunch of replies but nobody was serious. Worse than Craigslist.