WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wireless router problems

Jimmy

Reaction score
I'm having issues with my router accessing the internet.
Usually all I do is a factory reset and put the internet settings back in and we're good to go.
But now when I try browsing it keeps asking for a username and password similar to what u'd find when logging onto www.routerlogin.net or 192.168.x.x.
I tried talking to my ISP and they're no help, they said my routers no good.

Jimmy

Reaction score
IMAG1202.jpg IMAG1203.jpg

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Call Netgear support. I had an issue with mine and they cleared it up in about 15 minutes.

With mine, we had a lightning strike nearby and fried both the modem and the router.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Also, if you can get internet somewhere else (phone- hotspot/tethered) download Netgear Genie from their site. It's a free program that lets you get into and set/change all the router settings.

milkmoney

Reaction score
You have internet down below , mate [emoji12][emoji202]

Jimmy

Reaction score
I got it sorted, everyone can relax now, thank you.

Jimmy

Reaction score
I found the original router the Service provider gave me (Netgear DM111P) and told them the problem was definitely their end.
They reset something on their end, gave me a new username and password.
I done a factory reset on the original router (Netgear DM111P) and punched in the internet settings and off it went.
Then I swapped back to my (Netgear D6000) and set it up with the new settings.

It only took 5 Live chat sessions and a phone call over the last 3 days, some people just need a little push to get them to do something.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
I'm having issues with my router accessing the internet.
Usually all I do is a factory reset and put the internet settings back in and we're good to go.
But now when I try browsing it keeps asking for a username and password similar to what u'd find when logging onto www.routerlogin.net or 192.168.x.x.
I tried talking to my ISP and they're no help, they said my routers no good.

You need to login to your router.

You problem is you need to Release and Renew your DHCP for your WAN IP.

When you do the reset thing, it's essentially what you're doing.

So your local modem has a DNS address assigned by the ISP. The local modem then assigns a DHCP address to your router which then filters to you local IP address.

Jimmy

Reaction score
You need to login to your router.

You problem is you need to Release and Renew your DHCP for your WAN IP.

When you do the reset thing, it's essentially what you're doing.

So your local modem has a DNS address assigned by the ISP. The local modem then assigns a DHCP address to your router which then filters to you local IP address.
U don't know y, but I'm having to do it once a week lately.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
U don't know y, but I'm having to do it once a week lately.

That is the ISP. I would return their equipment and make them give you a new one. Most likely you have a Docsis 2.0 modem and much of their newer equipment is Docsis 3.0. the conflict comes within their system. Make sure you get Docsis 3.0

The default response from the ISP is that it's alwys your equipment, and ever theirs. My answer is tha's bullshit, it's always their equipment and ever mine.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I got it sorted, everyone can relax now, thank you.

Well good thing mate , I wS jus going to board a plane and come down to help. [emoji12][emoji106][emoji202]

Everytime I post to you guys down there I do it with ur goofy accent [emoji6]

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
That is the ISP. I would return their equipment and make them give you a new one. Most likely you have a Docsis 2.0 modem and much of their newer equipment is Docsis 3.0. the conflict comes within their system. Make sure you get Docsis 3.0

The default response from the ISP is that it's alwys your equipment, and ever theirs. My answer is tha's bullshit, it's always their equipment and ever mine.

Most ISP's are getting ready to launch 3.1 Comcast has started launching it in limited markets. They're going to be able to push 1GB downloads over coax with 3.1 [emoji50][emoji50]

Jimmy

Reaction score
So I'm still having issues and I'm going to tell our current Service provider to get stuffed 😃.

I'm looking at new plans, there's a few good plans but they're limited on downloads.
What's everyone's monthly usage roughly?
Does anyone go over 500gb a month?
I'm looking at getting rid of the Foxtel and streaming Netflix and the like.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
So I'm still having issues and I'm going to tell our current Service provider to get stuffed 😃.

I'm looking at new plans, there's a few good plans but they're limited on downloads.
I have unlimited with cox. They send me nastygrams anytime I go over 400gb in a month. I just ignore them and download even more each time they send me one. I think the most I have done is 1.4 tb in a month cause of their nastygrams. I didn't even want the stuff I downloaded. Just deleted it and downloaded more. They gave up sending them to me I guess. I haven't gotten one in about 8 months.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
So I'm still having issues and I'm going to tell our current Service provider to get stuffed .

Bunch of shirt lifters!!!:eek:D

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
We still have un-metered internet here, couldn't tell you how much I download...

C-2

Reaction score
It's weird to hear about metered connections for a household service; at least, here in Cali where we're at.

Sounds like a router issue, try connecting directly to the modem. Unless of course, it is a router-modem combo. I know Netgear had a widespread security issue, they probably put out a "one patch" update to fix all their security issues, which sounds like it did not work.

Routers are relatively cheap, maybe consider changing to another brand. No need to buy the spaceship looking models, I've always had good luck with Linksys/Cisco models, but I currently use a Buffalo that has an open source firmware for granular control.

Modems too - they can go out frequently, which is why, it's best to "lease" from the ISP, rather than buy one that could also go out on you. 10 years ago that statement was not true, but nothing lasts like it used to.

Chasing thesae types of problems is never easy, there are so many variables to look at. But, in the grand scheme of things, a new router and even a new modem are cheap compared to the headaches and wasted time trying to run the issue down.

Jimmy

Reaction score
Ended up getting a new router till the fiber gets connected next month. IMAG1351.jpg