WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Slash X

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
So, I had never been to Steele Peak for shooting but I tried to go 2 weeks ago. BLM Officer was at the entrance to the area saying that it had been shut down for good.

Now we're headed out to Hodge Road tomorrow for some free shooting. I've always wanted to go to Slash X via Outlet Center Drive. Can I cut through the desert with a lifted Superduty? Or is it too rough for that? I'll just take the road if necessary but it always sounded like a fun, short desert trek.

bobbytheboozer

resident boozer
Reaction score
It's not that bad, some fast parts, but when it gets slow, definitely take it easy.

Xring01

Reaction score
Follow the Power Lines, which have roads, there are some areas on those roads that have woops, but slow down and you will be fine.

I ride dirt bikes out there all the time

Hoping to ride next weekend

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Follow the Power Lines, which have roads, there are some areas on those roads that have woops, but slow down and you will be fine.

I ride dirt bikes out there all the time

Hoping to ride next weekend

I looked on a map and saw that the power lines come from the south near the Dale Evans exit. I wanted to attempt a little shorter drive and get off at Outlet Center Drive, go east while north of the hills, and then cut south between the hills and the 247.

Is the route from Dale Evans better even though it's longer?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Take the 15 to Barstow Rd and head South.

I've driven our 2500 4x4 from Outlet center on the dirt to Slash X as well.
You should have no problem.
Whoops and ruts here and there.

Xring01

Reaction score
From outlet center, its faster to just take the paved road..

Having said that, you can easily take your truck, take the sand wash road... if you have a 4x4, or light weight 2x4 truck.

By the way. Slash X burgers are mighty fine grub.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
From outlet center, its faster to just take the paved road..

Having said that, you can easily take your truck, take the sand wash road... if you have a 4x4, or light weight 2x4 truck.

By the way. Slash X burgers are mighty fine grub.

Fresh cut French Fries too.
Love the Slash X.

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
Slash X is awesome, many a good race out there with MORE, and good times camping and riding:thumbsup

yz450mm

Reaction score
9b197f20a7e5a21b432c1feb0facd562.jpg

28Eliminator

Reaction score
I was out there last weekend for the MORE race. Townsend RD (from outlet center) has gotten a lot of whoops in it, but it's fine. Take it all the way across to Stoddard wells road, and right out to Barstow road. Slash x is only a few miles south. Great food, and cold beer[emoji106]

McGruff38

Reaction score
Its been a while since I have been there, but I used to get there from Hodge. If you take hodge all the way in (east of the 15), it ends near a quarry with some bathrooms. From there you can take the dirt road east until you hit the powerlines, then turn left. That pretty much takes you all the way to the backside of the Slash X. There are some whoops, but someone I was with made it out there in a stock Tundra.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score

I've researched the area fairly extensively. As a later post states, there is a slight carve out for Hodge. There was probably 75+ cars there yesterday and way more people. So, if it is illegal there, the authorities aren't enforcing it. I was actually just talking to a neighbor today about how the state doesn't make it real easy to figure out where you can and cannot shoot.

Thanks to everyone for the info. It was a pretty rough ride off of Outlet Center Drive to Slash X. I think if I would've stayed in the soft sand wash, it probably would've been better.

Slash X was awesome. Burgers and sides were great and the beer was cold.

On the way back we followed the power lines and then cut down Stoddard Wells Road all the way to the 15. That was much smoother.

A little advice: I really wanted to do some shooting but I knew Sunday was a bad idea. If you have the choice, go out there on a Saturday. It took an hour and ten mins from Corona to Hodge Road. From Dale Evans/15 back to Corona took us almost 2 hours at 4pm.