WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Newbie from SoCal IE

rsap

Reaction score
Hey Y'all, just wanted to introduce myself as a newbie to this site.

My name is Michael.. going by username "rsap"... been boating since around 2000... used to go out with buddies on their 19'-21' bayliner-ish boats back then.. I also have the benefit of frequently visiting family who live full time in Havasu. Happy to say that it gives me just about any reason to come out and play, at any time. :) ...

After riding on many friends boats, I finally stepped up in 07' and got my own custom boat with a 496 mag.. and since then i was hooked. First boat (07 Extreme Custom Boats - [small builder] w a 496mag) of course that boat was way too much for me.. sadly, had to let it go... and the second just got me on the water (99' Rinker 192 w 4.3 V6) but is paid off.. now I am looking at a Hallett 240 which needs some restoration.. this Hallett 240 is what brought me to these forums.. lots of great info on upgrades, maintenance, etc.. and cool convo on just about anything boat related.. I'm pretty handy around just about anything, so I am looking forward to this project. I will also be putting the 99' Rinker 192 for sale soon. I've kept it up very well and the boat is super reliable.. I almost hate to let it go.. but the Hallett 240 project is going to be under way soon and I wont need the Rinker.

A few things my new project will need..

1) Engine identification - I know it sounds crazy, but I dont know eactly which engine it has.. but it runs great and had some gitty up during the test drive
2) New Floor - Separating in cockpit area and ski locker cover is soft
3) New Cover - Gotta take care of whats already there..
4) New Interior - Would like to update it eventually, but immediate need is to fix missing hatch headrest section, as well as a missing bench seat
5) Servicing Drive - Has dual ram IMCO steering, but sounds like an old chevy with bad steering pump when Im in tight turns

Ahh.. sorry for the long intro, but I am sure I will be quite active on here, so I thought I would lay out my project needs and get some pointers from anyone who might have done these things already.

Thanks for having me!

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Welcome aboard.

Lots of Hallett owners on here. The 240 is a good riding boat.

Take a pic of your engine, and I'm sure the inmates can identify it for you.

rsap

Reaction score
Welcome aboard.

Lots of Hallett owners on here. The 240 is a good riding boat.

Take a pic of your engine, and I'm sure the inmates can identify it for you.

Here's what I am working with...

DSC_0189.jpg DSC_0185.jpg DSC_0251.jpg DSC_0216.jpg
DSC_0152 - Copy.jpg DSC_0167.jpg DSC_0209.jpg

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Welcome to RDP. I'm sure you'll get all your questions answered here. Good luck on the new purchase

milkmoney

Reaction score
Welcome to the circus and the Hallett club. Lot of Hallett owners and good info here.
[emoji106][emoji202][emoji41]

rsap

Reaction score
Welcome, and let's see the rest of the ride :thumbsup

I updated with more pics in my original post above.. It sounds crazy, but I believe I tracked down some history on this boat.. I think this is the same boat as shown in boostpower video, though back then the hatch was different and the shifter as well:

[video=youtube;bBXERjaCH98]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBXERjaCH98&sns=em[/video]

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Looks like it, its possible, but very doubtful someone re rigged boat and made a compete custom into stock rigging.
Many many boats have clones that look damn near identical. Different shifter, no foot throttle, no foot brace, all the rigging on transom on yours is stock, the other boat is all hidden.

But your drive with dual rams, and all the polished aluminum on that motor, some money was spent on it for sure at one point. hmmmmmmmm

Regardless 240s are great boats, let the snowball begin ;)

Edit: shit looking over pics of both, maybe, just realized rear rigging wasn't moved there was a cover mounted over transom rigging, holes are in both boats, shifter old holes look like they may be there too. If so hopefully upgrades internally in that drive are still there. Alexi will likely know the boat along with other members will likely chime in.

rsap

Reaction score
Looks like it, its possible, but very doubtful someone re rigged boat and made a compete custom into stock rigging.
Many many boats have clones that look damn near identical. Different shifter, no foot throttle, no foot brace, all the rigging on transom on yours is stock, the other boat is all hidden.

But your drive with dual rams, and all the polished aluminum on that motor, some money was spent on it for sure at one point. hmmmmmmmm

Regardless 240s are great boats, let the snowball begin ;)

Edit: shit looking over pics of both, maybe, just realized rear rigging wasn't moved there was a cover mounted over transom rigging, holes are in both boats, shifter old holes look like they may be there too. If so hopefully upgrades internally in that drive are still there. Alexi will likely know the boat along with other members will likely chime in.

The thing that is unique is on the drivers dash, on the flat part below the gauges, there's two lights or crystal looking things and stickers that say ""oh shit".. that to me seems like the giveaway. Also, another 240 owner was asking why my boat didnt have teak floors.. I have no idea.. but neither does this boat.. then i checked boostpower facebook page and found the following pics which show the trailer and wheels.. again, similar.. either way, I sent him a message, so it would be a cool factor if it were the same boat

2017-03-28_23-26-11.jpg 2017-03-28_23-27-21.jpg 2017-03-28_23-59-54.jpg 2017-03-29_0-43-31.jpg

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
The thing that is unique is on the drivers dash, on the flat part below the gauges, there's two lights or crystal looking things and stickers that say ""oh shit".. that to me seems like the giveaway. Also, another 240 owner was asking why my boat didnt have teak floors.. I have no idea.. but neither does this boat.. then i checked boostpower facebook page and found the following pics which show the trailer and wheels.. again, similar.. either way, I sent him a message, so it would be a cool factor if it were the same boat

View attachment 549459 View attachment 549460 View attachment 549461

Ya I saw the little oh shits, was thinking yep prolly same boat. Old owner probably got tired of building new motors from blowing em or trying to go faster. Prob gave into idea of reliable over speed. You got some good bones to build from.

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
It is! We originally built that boat in conjunction with Hallett for a guy in bass lake. It was at one time the fastest one. It was built with an all aluminum 1000c carbureted engine we did back then and was awesome. The bottom pad was dialed it more stability over 90 mph. We built the customer a new boat and we sold that boat with one of our original 509's. Since that day we did not see it again. Looks like the ignition coil and box have been changed and who knows the rest? Feel free to call the shop 805-498-8888

rsap

Reaction score
It is! We originally built that boat in conjunction with Hallett for a guy in bass lake. It was at one time the fastest one. It was built with an all aluminum 1000c carbureted engine we did back then and was awesome. The bottom pad was dialed it more stability over 90 mph. We built the customer a new boat and we sold that boat with one of our original 509's. Since that day we did not see it again. Looks like the ignition coil and box have been changed and who knows the rest? Feel free to call the shop 805-498-8888

Awesome! Thanks for confirming and shedding some light on it's history. Appreciate it. I am working on restoring it and getting it back out on the water!

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
Welcome, and the Hallett looks like a nice project! aloha

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for confirming and shedding some light on it's history. Appreciate it. I am working on restoring it and getting it back out on the water!

It's a neat boat

Ultra247

Reaction score
That's a great story and a serious win if you are starting with a boostpower 509. Alexi is great to work with and he'll do right by you if you drag it up to him.

Congrats and good luck with the refurb!

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a great story and a serious win if you are starting with a boostpower 509. Alexi is great to work with and he'll do right by you if you drag it up to him.

Congrats and good luck with the refurb!

Thanks for the kind words[emoji1303]