WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Glamis is changing.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Took a break from the dune scene during the economic melt down. Gave the toy hauler back to the bank, mothballed the quads in the tool shed and that was that.
It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
The vibe of the place had changed.

Two years ago in March the fire was rekindled when friends from out of town (Denver area) made a family trip to the dunes. I had to go! Life long friends don't come along often, so after 6-7 years of a break I was back in my favorite place...and with some of my favorite people. We had a great trip. A few mechanical glitches (for them) but all in all a great trip.
The summer past and winter fell.

Cruising the pages of RDP a few days before New Years into 16 I see pics in a thread of Uncle Dave and the Lavey Craft crew parked out at RoadRunner.
On a whim and with full wife approval I'm packing a quad and a cooler for a day trip. That turned into an overnight stay, truck broke. Fixed with the help of LaveyJr and his bud on leave for the weekend.

A couple months later hit the dunes again with a couple of old friends who I have shared more camp fires than any of us can recall. We had a great trip, again some mechanical issues for someone (banshee blues) but no drama.

This March I again hit the sand with the Denver crew. Was probably among the most epic manicure of the dunes ever.
Smooth transitions, sharp edges to give definition for the point rider (me) tailored the whoops to barely there, just perfect sand when the light is right.

Some things I noticed.
And, granted these March visits are in off weekends, Ranger station closed, Sweet Marie's packing up and leaving, but it seems different. A bit more mellow vibe. Like it used to be, more or less.
Been hitting the big G since the mid to late 1980s. Quads were a newish concept and my ATC 250R with a 300 kit hauled balls!! :D

It seems time has weeded out some of the riff raff. I had guys stop and ask how many people were going to be with me and chose to go elsewhere rather than crowd us. Never seen that before. People usually just pull up and park.
Maybe it was the mention of the two Rottweilers that would be arriving? Or probably the mention of the Chihuaua that would be with them? :D
Or the kids that would be zinging around on LT50s? :rolleyes

When there have been Ranger interaction it has been pleasant. Our tags and stickers are current, camping passes displayed, many trash recepticals in camp and no glass. ;)
Their attention has typically soon averted to one of the many Banshees in camp. For whatever reason these younger noob BLM guys dig Banshees? :headscratch: :thumbsup
They get a kick out of it when you tell them you've owned it and ridden it right here where they're standing...since they were 5 years old. :cool

The new destinations, holy cow. The swing set. The various flag poles. It's like a whole new set of destinations for me.
Last week we didn't hit Comp or Olds one time.
Why? Been there, done that. The closure areas reopened means a great deal to me, we head that way almost every time.

I'm digging watching the latest stage of the evolution of Glamis.
It finally feels fun again.

lavey jr

Reaction score
Nice write up Larry!

Wish I could have made that March trip with you but I can't complain with where I'm at.

I will have to agree with you. Glamis is changing. So many people complain about how crazy it is and how wild the people are. But in reality, it's no different from going to Havasu on busy weekends. Yes, there is still that craziness in Glamis but it is a very big place. If peoples rides consist of going to Olds and the drags then back to camp, craziness is all they will see. Now with almost all the closure lifted it has opened up so much area to ride and venture. I was at Glamis for a total of 3 weeks during December and only went to Olds three times for probably 30 minutes each time. All our other rides ended up out in the big deep bowls/dunes that used to make up the closure. For quick rides we would hit the swing set, we actually went there just about everyday. Our rides would usually total 3-4 hours ending at the furthest and highest dune we could find just sitting up there with the best of friends and family reminiscing and making memories. All this is the same for Havasu, its a fairly big lake and theres a bunch of beaches and coves you can find to have a good time away form the craziness.
People who have been going to Glamis all their life are the people who want to see it kept open and don't want to deal with the crazies. Those are the same people who know the area and can get lost in the big empty dunes but still find their way back to camp. Most of the crazies out there only know how to get to the "hot spots" like Olds and the drags. Don't get me wrong, I love going to Olds and the drags every once in a while to see the mayhem. But it's much more enjoyable to make your own adventure and just ride!

Another very cool new ride and destination is the cabana! As the years have gone, we slowly stopped doing big night rides. But this was an almost nightly ride for us! If you haven't been, you need to go! It's a hut near the canal with a table and bench seats along with a fire pit and an ammo can for you to leave your own touch of "survival" gear for the next group. Every night after dinner we would go out there with some fire wood and a deck of cards (maybe a couple full ice chests) and we would hangout and have some good camp fire card game fun! One night we went on a ride there with our camp and the neighbors, we had 20+ vehicles and over 50 people! One of the funnest night ride I've had!

Just like everything in life... Glamis is what you make it. If you associate yourself with the craziness, you're gunna deal with the craziness. But if you respect the terrain, respect the other people there, and clean up the mess you may have made then it will give you one of the best rides and memories for a lifetime!

lavey jr

Reaction score
Our camp. Which in total with all the rigs associated with us ended up being 1/4 mile long Plus the rigs on the other side of the road!
And there was zero ghost camping and saving spots.
IMG_0165.jpg

Myself on the left and the rest of my family
IMG_0200.jpg
IMG_0168.jpg IMG_0216.jpg

Here is us at the Cabana one night playing cards against humanity
IMG_0163.jpg

This is part of our huge group we ended up at the Cabana, in the back you can barely see the hut
IMG_0182.jpg

wash11

Reaction score
Great post:thumbsup

That sand holds thousands of great memories for Amy and I. Reading this put a big ol' smile on my face this morning.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Took a break from the dune scene during the economic melt down. Gave the toy hauler back to the bank, mothballed the quads in the tool shed and that was that.
It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
The vibe of the place had changed.

Two years ago in March the fire was rekindled when friends from out of town (Denver area) made a family trip to the dunes. I had to go! Life long friends don't come along often, so after 6-7 years of a break I was back in my favorite place...and with some of my favorite people. We had a great trip. A few mechanical glitches (for them) but all in all a great trip.
The summer past and winter fell.

Cruising the pages of RDP a few days before New Years into 16 I see pics in a thread of Uncle Dave and the Lavey Craft crew parked out at RoadRunner.
On a whim and with full wife approval I'm packing a quad and a cooler for a day trip. That turned into an overnight stay, truck broke. Fixed with the help of LaveyJr and his bud on leave for the weekend.

A couple months later hit the dunes again with a couple of old friends who I have shared more camp fires than any of us can recall. We had a great trip, again some mechanical issues for someone (banshee blues) but no drama.

This March I again hit the sand with the Denver crew. Was probably among the most epic manicure of the dunes ever.
Smooth transitions, sharp edges to give definition for the point rider (me) tailored the whoops to barely there, just perfect sand when the light is right.

Some things I noticed.
And, granted these March visits are in off weekends, Ranger station closed, Sweet Marie's packing up and leaving, but it seems different. A bit more mellow vibe. Like it used to be, more or less.
Been hitting the big G since the mid to late 1980s. Quads were a newish concept and my ATC 250R with a 300 kit hauled balls!! :D

It seems time has weeded out some of the riff raff. I had guys stop and ask how many people were going to be with me and chose to go elsewhere rather than crowd us. Never seen that before. People usually just pull up and park.
Maybe it was the mention of the two Rottweilers that would be arriving? Or probably the mention of the Chihuaua that would be with them? :D
Or the kids that would be zinging around on LT50s? :rolleyes

When there have been Ranger interaction it has been pleasant. Our tags and stickers are current, camping passes displayed, many trash recepticals in camp and no glass. ;)
Their attention has typically soon averted to one of the many Banshees in camp. For whatever reason these younger noob BLM guys dig Banshees? :headscratch: :thumbsup
They get a kick out of it when you tell them you've owned it and ridden it right here where they're standing...since they were 5 years old. :cool

The new destinations, holy cow. The swing set. The various flag poles. It's like a whole new set of destinations for me.
Last week we didn't hit Comp or Olds one time.
Why? Been there, done that. The closure areas reopened means a great deal to me, we head that way almost every time.

I'm digging watching the latest stage of the evolution of Glamis.
It finally feels fun again.

This is pure bullshit. Glamis still sucks. There is no reason to Ever go to this place. :thumbsdown

:D

Gelcoater

Reaction score
U
Our camp. Which in total with all the rigs associated with us ended up being 1/4 mile long Plus the rigs on the other side of the road!
And there was zero ghost camping and saving spots.
View attachment 552147

Myself on the left and the rest of my family
View attachment 552148
View attachment 552149 View attachment 552150

Here is us at the Cabana one night playing cards against humanity
View attachment 552151

This is part of our huge group we ended up at the Cabana, in the back you can barely see the hut
View attachment 552152

Nice!:thumbsup

I expect a guided tour of this hut sometime when you're on shore. Never heard of it before.
And, is it me or is Matt going to be tall as shit? :D every time I see that boy he's 2 inches taller.

Edit... And holy crap your leg! I haven't seen any of that!?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
If I organize a RDP Glamis trip when the weather cools down this fall will any of you be interested??