WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat issue

cofooter

Reaction score
Pcm zr6 (chevy 6.0), no power to fuel pump, pump definitely good, can find a fuse, everthing else works, starts with starting fluid, wires look ok, dont have the diagnostic tool, anything else i can check?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Look for the fuel pump relay

This. Chevy ECU pluses +12v to the fuel pump, and ground to everything else. Check the relay first, then check for +12v on the proper pin on the ECU.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Check your fridge for beer and get Whiteys boat ready for the week. :thumbsup

cofooter

Reaction score
Check your fridge for beer and get Whiteys boat ready for the week. :thumbsup

tried the beer thing, didnt work, dies whitey even have a boat, he talks about it but ive never seen it

cofooter

Reaction score
This. Chevy ECU pluses +12v to the fuel pump, and ground to everything else. Check the relay first, then check for +12v on the proper pin on the ECU.

Thanks guys, found three relays, any way to test or should i just start swapping with a new one?

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
tried the beer thing, didnt work, dies whitey even have a boat, he talks about it but ive never seen it

Whitey can't even swim, why he would even own a boat is beyond me. :eek

4Waters

Reaction score
One is probably a blower motor relay if they all look the same you can just swap them around and see if the fuel pump runs and something else stops working if so it's a bad relay just number them before swaping.

fishing fool

Reaction score
If it is a relay, why did it blow??? Carry a few extra from now on

cofooter

Reaction score
If it is a relay, why did it blow??? Carry a few extra from now on

Not sure, battery was dead when i got here and i tried to start it with one of those emergency battery chargers, maybe related, i dunno......

cofooter

Reaction score
Unfortunately not, bought a good relay and swapped it one at a time with the 3 on the boat, still no power to fuel pump. Headed home now, will have to borrow a code reader next time I'm out or find a pinout diagram of the ECU. Thanks for your help!

cofooter

Reaction score
Apparently there is a fuse, just need to find it. I have the manual at home so I will look.

4Waters

Reaction score
Sorry I couldn't help more, hope it didn't ruin your weekend.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Not sure, battery was dead when i got here and i tried to start it with one of those emergency battery chargers, maybe related, i dunno......

Did you then charge or replace the battery so that you had full voltage? You should have checked in with me, didn't know you were here.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
What type of boat and what brand of motor? Is it a Volvo? Those are notorious for the fuel pump going bad.

cofooter

Reaction score
Did you then charge or replace the battery so that you had full voltage? You should have checked in with me, didn't know you were here.

Thanks, Barry. Yep, full battery, checked voltage when cranking, also tried a brand new one. Thought crossed my mind to call you, but I thought it was relay for sure, then just ran out of time.

cofooter

Reaction score
Found the fuse block buried in the wiring harness, my neighbor checked it for me, fuel pump fuse is good.................

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
Diagnose your problem. Start at the fuel pump and work back. Test for 12v at the FP when the key is turned on. Make sure you test it immediately as the key is turned because it won't stay on for long. If there is 12v, check the ground. If the ground is good, it's the FP. If no 12v, check the battery power into the relay for 12v all the time. Then check to see if the ECU is triggering the relay with 12v when the key is on.

12V hot to relay all the time

12V switched to relay when key is turned on (turns on relay)

relay sends 12V to FP if first 2 above are working. (assuming all grounds are good)

cofooter

Reaction score
Thank you BDMAR. Back to the relay, everything is good. I need to check the ECU output to relay, I have the pinout diagram now. Also, I understand from the mfr that there is a 5A fuse
on the ignition "run" position (voltage switched) line that goes to the ECU that may have blown - w/o that, the ECU will not activate fuel pump, injectors, etc. Need to check that. Boat in Parker, I'm in Colorado, will be able to check in a few weeks.

cofooter

Reaction score
Well, after checking every wire and every connection, and the signals on the ECM, I pulled the ECM and sent it in for testing. Turns out it was fried. They o/n me a new one, and it fired right up. Gotta give a shout out to OBD Diagniostics (mefiburn.com) for their excellent service and turn around.