WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

525SC

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
I am looking at a boat with twin 525SC engines. Curious to know what my options would be if one for the blowers broke. Do they make replacement parts or are there a bunch of used one parts floating around. What is the most common failure on this particular blower? And how many hours is the typical lifespan of one of them? Any insight would really help in my decision process.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
I had one of those motors. It's Weiand 177 blower. The blower shop can completely rebuild them if needed. Teague makes intercoolers for them if you want to get the motors running better.

The motors are pretty good, but I'm sure they would have to have been rebuilt recently. Flat tappet cam and a gen 6 454 motor. There are some trick stuff you can do to the oiling system a bit better.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
I had one of those motors. It's Weiand 177 blower. The blower shop can completely rebuild them if needed. Teague makes intercoolers for them if you want to get the motors running better.

The motors are pretty good, but I'm sure they would have to have been rebuilt recently. Flat tappet cam and a gen 6 454 motor. There are some trick stuff you can do to the oiling system a bit better.

Good to know that the blower shop can rebuild them. The engines were sent to Teague two years ago to have the entire top ends done.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
They are carbureted low compression, low boost 454's.

Best upgrade would be roller cams, and intercoolers. I doubt the 30 will have enough hatch clearance though for the ic's.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
They are carbureted low compression, low boost 454's.

Best upgrade would be roller cams, and intercoolers. I doubt the 30 will have enough hatch clearance though for the ic's.

Owner had Teague install a roller cam in each engine. Ya there wouldn't be enough room for the ic's, I would leave well enough alone.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Owner had Teague install a roller cam in each engine. Ya there wouldn't be enough room for the ic's, I would leave well enough alone.

Yeah if they are already roller you are set.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Yeah if they are already roller you are set.

Looking at the Invoices from Teague they installed a Crane 169621 cam along with Hyd Rlr lifters. He has a little over 14k in the engines.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Looking at the Invoices from Teague they installed a Crane 169621 cam along with Hyd Rlr lifters. He has a little over 14k in the engines.

They dyno them? I bet they are making a little more power also.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
They dyno them? I bet they are making a little more power also.

Not sure, I have a call in with Eric at Teague. I'll ask him and see.

I also have a call in with The Blower Shop I want to make sure the superchargers are rebuildable. I have heard yes and no.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Not sure, I have a call in with Eric at Teague. I'll ask him and see.

I also have a call in with The Blower Shop I want to make sure the superchargers are rebuildable. I have heard yes and no.

What's the rest of the boat like?
Is it worth the effort?

If so, when you talk to Eric ask him what the cost difference is between servicing these blowers, and the cost of intercoolers vs trashing the antiquated blowers and stepping into a more efficient blower. And ask what kind of power will be delivered between the two directions. Three really. Old blowers, no intercoolers, old blowers with and new blower.

Might be a step ahead by ditching the old blowers if you plan to keep this boat a while.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
What's the rest of the boat like?
Is it worth the effort?

If so, when you talk to Eric ask him what the cost difference is between servicing these blowers, and the cost of intercoolers vs trashing the antiquated blowers and stepping into a more efficient blower. And ask what kind of power will be delivered between the two directions. Three really. Old blowers, no intercoolers, old blowers with and new blower.

Might be a step ahead by ditching the old blowers if you plan to keep this boat a while.

The rest of the boat looks to be in pretty good shape it's a 95 Hallett 300-T. We are doing a turn around trip this Saturday to Havasu. We are going to take it for a test ride.

I just want to make sure the blowers can be repaired if something goes wrong with them. The blower shop never called me back to confirm they can or cannot be. I would be happy leaving them alone with the upgrades Teague did to them.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
The rest of the boat looks to be in pretty good shape it's a 95 Hallett 300-T. We are doing a turn around trip this Saturday to Havasu. We are going to take it for a test ride.

I just want to make sure the blowers can be repaired if something goes wrong with them. The blower shop never called me back to confirm they can or cannot be. I would be happy leaving them alone with the upgrades Teague did to them.

If they break you can swap Whipples on. I wouldn't worry about the motors. Find out what is under the wrap.

1rvrryd

Reaction score
How long ago did you have it rebuilt?
2013, 560ish hours on the engine. I bought the boat with 520 and would have to add gear lube to the blower every now and then. Turns out the seals went bad and there was fuel in the rear gears. It was definitely time for the rebuild.