WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

8.2 MAG H.O. with a Bravo 3

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Looking at a 2011 Hallett 290-S that has a Bravo 3. I have had an XR, Bravo 1 and even an Alpha. Just not sure about the 3 as far as problems or issues go.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Looking at a 2011 Hallett 290-S that has a Bravo 3. I have had an XR, Bravo 1 and even an Alpha. Just not sure about the 3 as far as problems or issues go.

I'm not stalking you, really. :D

What's your boating style?
I think the bravo 3 is aimed less at high performance and more on cruise.
I imagine it will yank a skier or two up easier than a single bravo?

Have you called Hallett? Might be worth a call, they can answer your questions and will be familiar with the boat you're interested in.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
I'm not stalking you, really. :D

What's your boating style?
I think the bravo 3 is aimed less at high performance and more on cruise.
I imagine it will yank a skier or two up easier than a single bravo?

Have you called Hallett? Might be worth a call, they can answer your questions and will be familiar with the boat you're interested in.

It's ok I like the attention [emoji1]

I would say my boating style is just cruising. Don't have anyone to ski yet as my kids are to young. I had a Hallett 285 with a 525 for 5 years and maybe got on it maybe three times. But it's always nice to have the extra power to get you out of certain situations.

CobraDave

Reaction score
I would imagine those might put out a little more torque using two props. Likely a good thing for a large heavy boat and lower horsepower. Also good for pulling skiers out of of the water.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
If it's the 29s that I think your talking about. Runs2rch knows little about that boat.

riverbrian

Chloe's Dad
Reaction score
I can only speak to my set up, but it's close. When I first got the boat it was ok, after a few tweaks I am cuising at 41/42 (gps) at 3300 RPMs., and can plane in 5 sec give or take. It a heavy beast.

Right prop and X dimension.

496 mag ho bravo 3 xr 1.81 gears bravo 3 xr 26 p prop

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The only problem with the B3 is it is EXPENSIVE to test props and god forbid you do ever hit something get your checkbook out.. Other than that they only lose 2 mph on the top end and they pretty much do everything better than a Bravo. Prop selection is limited and pricey again, but if you get it dialed in they are the shit as far as I'm concerned.

RD

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
The only problem with the B3 is it is EXPENSIVE to test props and god forbid you do ever hit something get your checkbook out.. Other than that they only lose 2 mph on the top end and they pretty much do everything better than a Bravo. Prop selection is limited and pricey again, but if you get it dialed in they are the shit as far as I'm concerned.

RD

Thanks Dave, I may switch to B3 XR if I throw more power at it.

Got the prop issue handled my good friend is Chad from Signature Propellers [emoji1303]

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I may switch to B3 XR if I throw more power at it.

Got the prop issue handled my good friend is Chad from Signature Propellers [emoji1303]

That should be a Bravo 3 XR already. Has full hydraulic as well on that boat.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
That should be a Bravo 3 XR already. Has full hydraulic as well on that boat.

Hmm, add said B3. I'll know for sure when I see it in person.
IMG_0027.jpg

riverbrian

Chloe's Dad
Reaction score

RD

Took me 5 years and when I repower with a 520, I am keeping the Bravo 3xr, I helped a Magic deck get dialed in and it was like night and day better after dialing it in.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
I could be mistaken as I am going solely off memory when I was looking at a Hallett that had a B3. The drive itself would be a B3 but I believe the props are XR props as they are 4 blade and the normal B3 props are 3 blade. Again, I could be wrong.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Ya the blades are the 4x4 set up by Signature Propellers

fastenuff3

Reaction score
it is a bravo 3 not xr. would only be a xr 3 if had a 525. how does the boat drive and handle with the 8.2.the 290s are heavy boats interested in top speed and cruising speeds.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
It is a Bravo 3 X not xr. Sorry about that.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
it is a bravo 3 not xr. would only be a xr 3 if had a 525. how does the boat drive and handle with the 8.2.the 290s are heavy boats interested in top speed and cruising speeds.

Not to well I really have to spin the engine to get any kind of speed with it.

At 3500k I think it was doing 25mph

It goes 55mph against the rev limiter. Talked to a lot of people in the industry and even Hallett. They all said that isn't right.

But then the seller had John from Nordic take it out and it did the same thing. John calls to give his opinion and said oh ya the boat runs great. Took it up to 55 on the limiter.

Eric from Teague suggested putting BIII XR props on it. As my BIII has 28p Signature 4x4 on it now.

Gonna take the outdrive apart to make sure exactly what gears are in it. Then maybe I can barrow some props to see if that helps at all.

Possibly put a BI lower on it and see. If not I guess I'll throw more power at it.

I mean I love the boat and once we were up to speed it rode great. Just want to figure out why the RPMS are that high.