WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I know there is some NASCAR fans in here

svlperry

Reaction score
Just announced Earnhardt Jr Will retire after the season

rampster

Reaction score
Just announced Earnhardt Jr Will retire after the season

Too bad but his heart hasn't been in it for some while now. The sport is desperately looking for some new personalities / characters to carry it forward.

JD D05

Reaction score
I am a Jr fan not Nascar if that makes sense. This won't help Nascar, I was always a Jr out TV off fan. I doubt I will watch another race for awhile after he retires.

Wendi

Reaction score
This is the best we could get he runs pretty fast. IMG_20170325_112237660.jpg

wzuber

Reaction score
It's the new wife's fault, damn her to pieces. haha j/k
I wondered a bit what the real deal behind the seemingly extended absence with the concussion was really all about. Seems he may have realized during that time that driving wasn't all it used to be to him and being at the track as an owner and having the flexibility to do as he pleases is more enjoyable to him now. What ever it truly was he certainly deserves to follow his own path and enjoy his life as he chooses, his fans will just have to understand, it's his life and adjust accordingly. Now he will be free to live like Rick Hendrick. lol Have you guys seen his custom built yacht? Holy cheese balls it's incredible. Good for Jr. for deciding to alter course a little and enjoy the fruits of his labors while he still has all his faculties in good working order. I will miss rooting for him on the track tho.

fishing fool

Reaction score
I WAS a big fan until they made all the cars the same shape and fuel injected and they always throw a yellow flag with 10 laps to go to bunch them up.
Modern NASCAR no good
Old school rocks

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
It really bums me out but it is what is best for him, and I am sure he will appreciate not being the center of everything every day out there. Now the real fun starts, who gets the seat. Carl Edwards conspiracies in 3,2,1...... :D I personally don't think Mr. H would ever hire him, not the right personality for his organization, a little bit two faced. William Byron has got to be beyond stoked, path is cleared, however, I think he is destined for Kasey's seat in like 2 more years. Bowman deserves a shot of course, but man, he can't fill those shoes or bring in the sponsors, can't even fill out a car to drive in xfinity for jr.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Wow!! Being a Jr fan, I have to admit I'm a little surprised. Thought for sure he was going to announce something like that for next year. So NASCAR could build up a farewell to Jr tour.

termiteguy

Reaction score
Not a Jr fan kinda bummed I like the guy was hoping he could win a championship

MOUZER

Reaction score
I WAS a big fan until they made all the cars the same shape and fuel injected and they always throw a yellow flag with 10 laps to go to bunch them up.
Modern NASCAR no good
Old school rocks

x2 here..............my driver #3 ... rip..........#88 was hopen for great things

FreeBird236

Reaction score
He's my favorite and will miss him, but man there's a ton of new talent so I'm sure I'll keep watching. Hope Jr. keeps going with the teams.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
300+ million in the bank, a beautiful new wife, a great home, and I don't doubt that at 42 he looks around and finds the fire in his belly waning. I wish him a long and happy life. I also think NASCAR needs to be proactive about this...if Jr. is interested in working the TV side, and I suspect he is, NASCAR and FOX need to suggest to Waltrip that he take his boogity boogity BS and go home. Put Jr. and Gordon in there with Mike Joy for half the season and the ratings will go up, Jr. can pad his bank account and keep in the game for a couple of years, but only go to half the races and spend the rest of the year doing whatever he wants.

To 60% of the people watching the TV Waltrip is just some old guy who supposedly drove a car back in the old days. They don't remember his era, they don't relate to his stories, they don't relate to him. Jr, on the other hand, is part of the culture active on social media, and the media exposure has kept him very much part of the game.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
300+ million in the bank, a beautiful new wife, a great home, and I don't doubt that at 42 he looks around and finds the fire in his belly waning. I wish him a long and happy life. I also think NASCAR needs to be proactive about this...if Jr. is interested in working the TV side, and I suspect he is, NASCAR and FOX need to suggest to Waltrip that he take his boogity boogity BS and go home. Put Jr. and Gordon in there with Mike Joy for half the season and the ratings will go up, Jr. can pad his bank account and keep in the game for a couple of years, but only go to half the races and spend the rest of the year doing whatever he wants.

To 60% of the people watching the TV Waltrip is just some old guy who supposedly drove a car back in the old days. They don't remember his era, they don't relate to his stories, they don't relate to him. Jr, on the other hand, is part of the culture active on social media, and the media exposure has kept him very much part of the game.

I agree, I don't enjoy Waltrip at all, i don't wish him ill will or anything, but yes, his analysis is not relevant. How many times does Gordon have to shoot him down on completely incorrect analysis of what the drivers or crew chiefs need to do in a situation when he bases his crap on from when he used to run, in cars that were night and day different, with completely different tires, and guess what, Bristol, Phoenix, etc, aren't even made of the same racing surface or configuration as his glory days. Larry Mac works hard to stay relevant and up to date on tech every year, but its a losing battle, NBC getting Letarte was key for modern crew chief input, Fox needs new blood too, Gordon, decent and will get better, Mike Joy, good play by play, he can stay, but yeah, Waltrip and Larry Mac are not suited to talk about a series that now has so little to do with what they used to do professionally.

Joker

Reaction score
Dale Jr = Kyle Petty
Living off of Dads following. Adios junebug[emoji106][emoji16]

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Dale Jr = Kyle Petty
Living off of Dads following. Adios junebug[emoji106][emoji16]

Sure he never lived up to his dad, but you can't take it that far, slight difference in career stats. Jr never adapted to the COT and beyond as well as the elites, before that he was mixing it up regularly with smoke, gordon, and jimmie johnson, multi win seasons every year. So if we are going to talk about people in cars that don't have the talent to back it up, lets be accurate and discuss the Dillon bros :D I still can't believe Kyle finished 5th one season :eek

wzuber

Reaction score

Hmm Jr. in the booth would be interesting and certainly keep his fans interested but does he like to talk that much? Has he commentated all or part of a race in the recent past? I've always had the impression he prefers the more low key, behind the scene's type scenario. He certainly seems to be more enthusiastic in his interviews lately.

Scott E

Reaction score
Hmm Jr. in the booth would be interesting and certainly keep his fans interested but does he like to talk that much? Has he commentated all or part of a race in the recent past? I've always had the impression he prefers the more low key, behind the scene's type scenario. He certainly seems to be more enthusiastic in his interviews lately.

JR has been in the booth for at least one Xfinity race.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Restrictor plate races :thumbsdown For that reason I tuned out

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score

Again, FBT. Spot on.

Dammit guy. :)

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I've always like the guy and never understood those that didn't. He far and away better and more successful the Kyle Petty. He isn't his Dad and no one else was or will be. Dale Sr was a one of kind just like Richard Petty and many others.

Nascar has many issues and losing Dale Jr ain't gonna help as his total package can't be replaced. Nascar needs to do some very creative changes to make racing entertaining and create an edge they don't have with the current crop of kids and boring others. The excitement of the Dale Sr., King Richard, David Pearson, Yarbrough and Yarborough, Smoke, and many others, just is not there and they need to find some kind of way to replace it.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
People would be dead every weekend on the superspeedways otherwise.

250 MPH easy.

That is easily fixed with a decent road course. :) they could learn to turn right too.

But yeah, speeds are already over 200. Better stick with follow the leader then... LOL

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
That is easily fixed with a decent road course. :) they could learn to turn right too.

But yeah, speeds are already over 200. Better stick with follow the leader then... LOL

...and what do they do with the superspeedways? Shut them down?

They do go to road courses

It is a complex problem.

Old Texan

Reaction score
People would be dead every weekend on the superspeedways otherwise.

250 MPH easy.

It is a complex problem.

Allowing all out speed on the Superspeedways would likely up the interest in Nascar. Wrecks and the inevitable deaths would be exciting to cold hearted fans. Car parts would launch deep into the stands, far over the barriers. What drama.....:yikes

And no I'm not serious......Unless of course it could somehow be made safe to run at those speeds.;)

jones performance

Reaction score
i think his concussion last year scared him and made him realize that it doesnt take much to ring his bell. the potential for a life altering injuries would persuade anyone to change directions i think.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score

It is a complex problem.

Turn them into a big figure 8? Demolition style. :) ha ha

Two road courses correct?

Yeah I used to watch years ago, just got tired of the log jam, 3 wide and one guy bumps another and half the field is wrecked.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Allowing all out speed on the Superspeedways would likely up the interest in Nascar. Wrecks and the inevitable deaths would be exciting to cold hearted fans. Car parts would launch deep into the stands, far over the barriers. What drama.....:yikes

And no I'm not serious......Unless of course it could somehow be made safe to run at those speeds.;)

If the cars would be safe at those speeds to not to turn into airplanes, they wouldn't resemble a passenger "stock" car, they would look like an Indy car. ;)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
i think his concussion last year scared him and made him realize that it doesnt take much to ring his bell. the potential for a life altering injuries would persuade anyone to change directions i think.

...and given he has enough money and youth to do whatever he wants now, he can do that.

Nascar is too political now and is less and less about racing.

FreeBird236

Reaction score

Yep, NASCAR driver can't really drive, that's why the ringers always win.;):D

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Both Jr and NASCAR have learned a lot from the sudden passing of Dale Sr.

Even when we grow old it's still a really tough thing to lose your father. Imagine the sudden death of a man who seemed invincible. I don't think Jr wants to leave his own wife and future child the way his Dad left him.

He has shared the seriousness of his concussion and how scared he was. He also realized he's had a few prior concussions as well. Knowing what we know about concussions from the NFL we have recently learned they have forever lasting effects.

I don't fault Jr. He has a lot to live for and a longtime to enjoy life. Just about all of his family works for Junior Motorsports and he has a lot of people depending on him. Shortly after Dale's death Dale Earnhardt Inc went into a downward spiral and a lot of people's lives changed forever.

I congratulate him. He never tried to be his Dad but was still harder on himself than anyone else could ever be. He's going out on his terms rather than someone else's. I'd imagine that any one of us, experiencing what Jr has, would do it the exact same way. He really handled his Dad's death far better than 99% of his peers would have.

Good job #88. I'm a fan forever.

Old Texan

Reaction score
If the cars would be safe at those speeds to not to turn into airplanes, they wouldn't resemble a passenger "stock" car, they would look like an Indy car. ;)

Full body cars like those that race in GT series, FIA, IMSA, and other sports car.endurance races can operate at those speeds. Corvettes and Porsches and BMWs and Audis and MB's among others would make for some great oval racing of the big tracks. The Proto type class in particular are super fast and aerodynamic to run anywhere. Of course costs far exceed the Nascar rides and technology is expensive.

Saw an endurance race on the Homestead road course that used a portion of the oval track years ago and it was one of the best racing events I ever attended. They blistered the an oval straight through one end turn, and and then braked hard onto the road track and it was a spectacle. I honestly don't know if a Nascar stocker could hold up to what those IMSA cars performed over 4 hours. Drivers couldn't as they alternated. We were guests of the top Porsche team and seeing those guys after a turn showed how physically trying the racing was.....

Old Texan

Reaction score

Even when we grow old it's still a really tough thing to lose your father. Imagine the sudden death of a man who seemed invincible. I don't think Jr wants to leave his own wife and future child the way his Dad left him.

He has shared the seriousness of his concussion and how scared he was. He also realized he's had a few prior concussions as well. Knowing what we know about concussions from the NFL we have recently learned they have forever lasting effects.

I don't fault Jr. He has a lot to live for and a longtime to enjoy life. Just about all of his family works for Junior Motorsports and he has a lot of people depending on him. Shortly after Dale's death Dale Earnhardt Inc went into a downward spiral and a lot of people's lives changed forever.

I congratulate him. He never tried to be his Dad but was still harder on himself than anyone else could ever be. He's going out on his terms rather than someone else's. I'd imagine that any one of us, experiencing what Jr has, would do it the exact same way. He really handled his Dad's death far better than 99% of his peers would have.

Great post and insight.....Losing your Dad in one of your greatest races had to be so very hard.

I never understood why many folks didn't like Jr. To me he had lots of class and handled his fame like a true pro. Always seemed like a guy you'd love to hang with for many reasons. Living in the everlasting shadow of a legend that died on the track, would be extremely hard and Jr handled it as good or better than anyone could possibly have done.

He never tried to be the legend's son, and that was what made him the perfect legend's son.

He'll adapt well to wherever the rest of his life takes him.:thumbsup

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Sir, yes sir.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

It is a complex problem.

I'd like to see a nascar reboot.
With all the rules and regs it's almost boring to watch anymore.

I would like to see them take a step back to the "stock car" days in a sense. Keep the car and chassis as it is now for safety and the aero but they gotta run stock crate engines. A representation of an engine anyone can go to the dealer today and buy a car with one in it.
Modern FI, pump gas, minimal engine mods. Maybe even make them claimer engines?

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score

I would like to see them take a step back to the "stock car" days in a sense. Keep the car and chassis as it is now for safety and the aero but they gotta run stock crate engines. A representation of an engine anyone can go to the dealer today and buy a car with one in it.

Sad to see Dale Jr. go in a way. Has to be one of the last that has a bit of that old school NASCAR way and connection. But, i still think NASCAR is and will be boring for the foreseeable future. Only to get worse with Monster Energy as title sponsor of Cup. I have zero desire to watch a race at this point. I agree that a reset of sorts is required. Body panels should be purchased from Ford/Chevy/Toyota(cough)/Dodge(get back in the game). No multi-car teams - its killing competition IMO. Each team has to build their own engines and chassis. Oh, and kick Brian France out the door! NASCAR is too Politically correct; controlled by corporate sponsors.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score

Visit any short track in the US. Other than FI, those are pretty normal rules.