WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ya need a 6" hole drilled 10 feet long in the driveshaft?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Red dogs machine shop:
IMG_1460.jpg IMG_1456.jpg

When a $1000 drilling head grenades
IMG_1459.jpg

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Gun drill. Rare in this configuration we understand.
IMG_1458.jpg
IMG_1456.jpg
IMG_1457.jpg
Some RDP member trophy truck haulers out back
IMG_1462.jpg
A guy in Mexico builds them cheap or did, as his name spreads the price goes up.
3 for $16k.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score

No sir.

Quite common I assure you. Im pretty sure you could trepan that size hole as well. End up with a 3-4" dia rod to take home with you out of the 6" bore to boot. :)

Brian

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
No sir.

Quite common I assure you. Im pretty sure you could trepan that size hole as well. End up with a 3-4" dia rod to take home with you out of the 6" bore to boot. :)

Brian

6" dia 10' long? Super fast BTW.
They had pallets of material ($150K material alone) waiting to be drilled and knocking it out pretty fast.
The picture compress's the machines look. It's 60' long.

I was there trying to figure out why the oil cooler wouldn't run.
Bad t-couple.

High stress job. Not for dummies.
They had one job once - double reverse acme threads in submarine periscopes exotic metal. They started drinking double with that work.

These kids have come a long way from starting out with a couple second hand Itchypussy CNC's

Taboma

Reaction score
No sir.

Brian

Trepan :headscratch:

Noted :point

Reactions: TPC

ltbaney1

Reaction score
gun drilling is extremely common, I have 3 customers within a mile of me who all have gun drilling machines. none that are 60' long. they do not advertise they have them though. they only use them to support themselves. lots of aerospace shops use them. pretty cool to see in person and yes I love it when they call to order drill heads.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
gun drilling is extremely common, I have 3 customers within a mile of me who all have gun drilling machines. none that are 60' long. they do not advertise they have them though. they only use them to support themselves. lots of aerospace shops use them. pretty cool to see in person and yes I love it when they call to order drill heads.

We understand is this configuration there's the one pictured, one in Texas, and another someplace on the East coast.

Doesn't matter, small potatoes, they have plenty of work waiting to be drilled. :thumbsup

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
We understand is this configuration there's the one pictured, one in Texas, and another someplace on the East coast.

Doesn't matter, small potatoes, they have plenty of work waiting to be drilled. :thumbsup

Badass either way.

Cool post TPC.

Brian

Taboma

Reaction score
Yessir. Trepan.

Like most of these machining threads I find it's like reading a mystery novel. Interesting, educational, captivating, even entertaining, only hoping that by the end of the story, I've got a clue what it was all about.

My exposure to amazing machines was due to my background of Industrial electrical contracting, so I've seen em and got em running, then stood back and watched the show. Pretty much everything else about them is a mystery, especially the terminology.

My final electrical project prior to retiring was a couple of years spent wiring up an experimental Fusion Reactor. A project that after 46 years I considered winning the "Superbowl" of my career, that's why I retired, it wasn't going to get any better than that.

So as much as I don't understand everything in these types of threads, I enjoy them none the less and I'll continue to follow along the best I can.

So yes sir ---- Trepan, noted :D

OH OH wait, I found it --- Edit Add ----- Thousands of years ago, people were performing a form of surgery called "trepanation" that involves boring holes through a person's skull ----
Now I understand ;)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Let me see if I can assist....:)

Like most of these machining threads I find it's like reading a mystery novel. Interesting, educational, captivating, even entertaining, only hoping that by the end of the story, I've got a clue what it was all about.

My exposure to amazing machines was due to my background of Industrial electrical contracting, so I've seen em and got em running, then stood back and watched the show. Pretty much everything else about them is a mystery, especially the terminology.

My final electrical project prior to retiring was a couple of years spent wiring up an experimental Fusion Reactor. A project that after 46 years I considered winning the "Superbowl" of my career, that's why I retired, it wasn't going to get any better than that.

So as much as I don't understand everything in these types of threads, I enjoy them none the less and I'll continue to follow along the best I can.

OH OH wait, I found it --- Edit Add ----- Thousands of years ago, people were performing a form of surgery called "trepanation" that involves boring holes through a person's skull ----
Now I understand ;)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
http://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-...dicated_methods/trepanning/pages/default.aspx

Like most of these machining threads I find it's like reading a mystery novel. Interesting, educational, captivating, even entertaining, only hoping that by the end of the
story, I've got a clue what it was all about.

Now I understand ;)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I learned something today as well.

I always thought the word was funny myself, never knew there was another meaning of the word. :yikes.

Now I understand ;)

Taboma

Reaction score
I learned something today as well.

I always though the word was funny myself, never knew there was another meaning of the word. :yikes.

Thanks for the links, very cool video :thumbsup:thumbsup

In electrical speak we'd refer to that as core drilling, normally used for large hole penetration of concrete walls, different, yet similar concept, versus boring.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Thanks for the links, very cool video :thumbsup:thumbsup

In electrical speak we'd refer to that as core drilling, normally used for large hole penetration of concrete walls, different, yet similar concept, versus boring.

Yes sir.

Very much the same concept.

buck35

Reaction score
Did you read about the tunnel boring machine in Seattle that ran into a dot pipe and was idled for months to repair?
only about a 100 million dollar setback. Just a guess, it may have been much more. :eek

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
View attachment 556679
View attachment 556668
View attachment 556672
Some RDP member trophy truck haulers out back
View attachment 556670
A guy in Mexico builds them cheap or did, as his name spreads the price goes up.
3 for $16k.

Gun drilling isn't all that uncommon to be honest.. But 10' Deep, DAMN!!

I love drilling me some big holes deep.

You have a piece of equipment on the floor that will do deep drilling? We always subbed that shit out. While it's not uber rare, it's not exactly something you find in the everyday machine shop either.. Usually specialty shops that have that.

Interestingly enough for what Red Dog is doing up there, I'd say it's super rare and impressive that he has that machine. I've never toured the shop myself, but from what I understand they are an upper end manufacturer of parts for the offroad industry. Shocks and other things. I'm not sure what else they produce up there though.

Trepan :headscratch:

Noted :point

It's an interesting process for sure.. Basically a double sided cutter that cuts an OD and an ID at the same time, and leaves a core in the middle. That said for all the shit I've done in my lifetime and all the work I have subbed out, and the countless crazy aerospace parts we machined.. I have never sent something out for that process. LOL It's pretty specialty shit and you'd need something very deep and very long to make it worth while.

RD

buck35

Reaction score
Ok, for all of us non macheeenists, can someone do some more splainin. This stuff is fascinating, but greek to most of us , or at least me .

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Trepanning is usually done on higher cost alloys like stainless, titanium, and other exotics and superalloys due to the cost of material versus just turning everything into useless chips.

Brian

It's an interesting process for sure.. Basically a double sided cutter that cuts an OD and an ID at the same time, and leaves a core in the middle. That said for all the shit I've done in my lifetime and all the work I have subbed out, and the countless crazy aerospace parts we machined.. I have never sent something out for that process. LOL It's pretty specialty shit and you'd need something very deep and very long to make it worth while.

RD

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
How do you control run out 10 ft in?

That's the amazing thing.
These kids pull it off with incredible precision.

Smart too.
20.000 sq ft shop full of all kinds of high voltage technical machinery they just picked up and moved like it was your living room furniture when the landlord became a prick and ran the rent up.
Mill rights, electricians, heavy equipment movers, fuck it, we're gone.

A machines computer pukes, no sweat they order a $45 circuit board off Ebay and build another.

Always something interesting being produced, they take on anything.
A short history of Drone engines, Navy parts that have to be perfect, high end plumbing, on and on, Boeing, Airbus, their own line of shock absorbers that anticipate and adjust the upcoming bump.
No picking low hanging fruit for them. They tackle the tough stuff.

The characters from around the world that walk in the door with product designs and cash in hand,, that's a thread, hell it's a book in itself.

Amazing for two kids that started out with a couple 2nd hand Itchy pussy CNC's in the back of a race Truck shop.