WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Logs or headers

Rogers Hopeful

Reaction score
I currently have logs with OT pipes. Would I gain anything by getting OT headers? My SBC is making around 550 HP. Here is my current setup IMG_5181.jpg

port austin pirate

Reaction score
Headers always will make more power, Enought to see much difference in jet small block,no huge gain I wouldnt think bet 2- 5mph maybe, Jet guys chime in:)

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
You will certainly gain some performance over logs with headers.:thumbup:

How much is anyone's guess, but not unreasonable to think at least 30HP over your logs if your SBC is making 550HP like you said.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
If your pumps done and the added HP can give you a few more RPM's you might notice a little difference. You might end up with a little more water in the boat.:p

Reaction score
I went from bassett headers to glenwood logs thru transom on a 454 only because I like the Classic look. very little performance lost, but just about as loud at WOT

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
You'll have better burn marks on your arms from working on it with headers!!!

farmo83

Reaction score
Headers all the way. My old man ran Jet Boats for 35 years and always claimed logs were useful as boat anchors and not much else. I had headers in my jet boat and never looked down the pipes of a similar boat with logs.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
is this motor making 500 to 550+ HP ?

If it makes the power up in the higher RPMs, then yes it needs to breathe with a less restrictive exhaust .

Most 'tube boat headers' are not tuned equal length, but are less restrictive than cast logs .

If I were to spend money and upgrade a running boat, I would go for actual TUNED headers, dragster, whatever application they are sold as, install those actual tuned headers, and then add on some tail pipes (that angle down) with water to them for the noise factor .

IF the bottom of the boat hull has not been 'straightened and tuned up', don't change the pipes .