WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pacific Coastin. Ventura Harbor SB performance boating.

SocalChamp

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum and wanted some advice here. I'm on my 8th boat now, started when I was 16 so very experienced, mostly on lakes but last 6 years I've been going in the ocean, usually stay in the harbors until 2 years ago I got a 25' Shockwave and started cruising the coast from Dana Point to Malibu and Catelina with no issues. I just upgraded to a 29' Shockwave Magnatude with a 525 and want to start heading further North to Santa Barbara and the Channel Islands, (also San Diego) . I have GPS and watch weather on several different apps but I've also heard the water from Ventura Harbor, to the islands and from Ventura Harbor to Santa Barbar can get pretty bad at times and it can come up fast. I know not to go too much further North of SB cause it gets really bad. But I wanted to hear from other people with performance boats like mine how bad that stretch can really get. I plan on making sevral trips up there and staying a couple days at a time at a hotel and rent a slip. If the water is really nice I'll head to the islands to check it out, if it's choppy I'll just stay inland and head straight to the harbors. Stopping in Ventura for lunch. Have any of you had any bad experiences in that stretch between Malibu and Santa Barbara??
Unpredictable weather? Huge swells with mixed chop? Should I have a bigger boat for that area? I plan on calling the coast guards and taking to them as well. I'm always over cautions when IMG_3029.jpg It comes to the ocean. Any info would be greatly aporicated.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum and wanted some advice here. I'm on my 8th boat now, started when I was 16 so very experienced, mostly on lakes but last 6 years I've been going in the ocean, usually stay in the harbors until 2 years ago I got a 25' Shockwave and started cruising the coast from Dana Point to Malibu and Catelina with no issues. I just upgraded to a 29' Shockwave Magnatude with a 525 and want to start heading further North to Santa Barbara and the Channel Islands, (also San Diego) . I have GPS and watch weather on several different apps but I've also heard the water from Ventura Harbor, to the islands and from Ventura Harbor to Santa Barbar can get pretty bad at times and it can come up fast. I know not to go too much further North of SB cause it gets really bad. But I wanted to hear from other people with performance boats like mine how bad that stretch can really get. I plan on making sevral trips up there and staying a couple days at a time at a hotel and rent a slip. If the water is really nice I'll head to the islands to check it out, if it's choppy I'll just stay inland and head straight to the harbors. Stopping in Ventura for lunch. Have any of you had any bad experiences in that stretch between Malibu and Santa Barbara??
Unpredictable weather? Huge swells with mixed chop? Should I have a bigger boat for that area? I plan on calling the coast guards and taking to them as well. I'm always over cautions when View attachment 557864 It comes to the ocean. Any info would be greatly aporicated.

Welcome! Nice boat! Do you drop the trailer in the salt as well or have it hoisted?

I live in Ventura county also. One Sunday morning after brunch and all you could drink mimosas a buddy and I got a wild hair to drop my boat in at Channel Islands and cruise around. The water and weather were awesome so we ended up going out to the Channel Islands which was awesome until the fog and swells came in and it became not so fun. I got home and washed my trailer by hand mulitiple times (knowing what salt water can do) and it became a rust bucket after 1 dip. Havent been out since but always dreamed of crusing the coast or a trip to Catalina.

hallett21

Reaction score
Have never boater north of Ventura but have driven Ventura to SB a lot on the 101. Like anything I think you need to pick your days.

Some days it's flat calm and others it's 5ft plus. Wind tends to pick up around noon I've noticed. Ventura to SB in the morning should be fine.

SocalChamp

Reaction score
Welcome! Nice boat! Do you drop the trailer in the salt as well or have it hoisted?

I live in Ventura county also. One Sunday morning after brunch and all you could drink mimosas a buddy and I got a wild hair to drop my boat in at Channel Islands and cruise around. The water and weather were awesome so we ended up going out to the Channel Islands which was awesome until the fog and swells came in and it became not so fun. I got home and washed my trailer by hand mulitiple times (knowing what salt water can do) and it became a rust bucket after 1 dip. Havent been out since but always dreamed of crusing the coast or a trip to Catalina.

Hey, I only Hoist out of Redondo, I live a mile from th hoist, I actually got a 30'er because that was the max length the hoist could handle, the newest launch ramp would be LB or Marina Del Ray and I didn't want to drive that far when hoist is so close. I really wanted the 34' Magnatude with twins. I'll have to wait u till they build a launch ramp in Redondo for that. Which is in the 3/4 year future.

Thanks for the response. After going in the ocean lakes just feel like ponds to me now. I still go to the river and love it, but the Pacific in my backyard is unbeatable. If there wasn't sharks I'd prob never go to the lake again hahah. We also go to ladle Shasta Pyramid Nacimiento and pine flats.

SocalChamp

Reaction score
Have never boater north of Ventura but have driven Ventura to SB a lot on the 101. Like anything I think you need to pick your days.

Some days it's flat calm and others it's 5ft plus. Wind tends to pick up around noon I've noticed. Ventura to SB in the morning should be fine.

Yes I make that same drive all the time and every time I see the water there it's always glass. Ive just read of some horror stories about that stretch and on my "Isaillor" app I see it does get rough there at times so was looking for some real world experience.

hallett21

Reaction score
Yes I make that same drive all the time and every time I see the water there it's always glass. Ive just read of some horror stories about that stretch and on my "Isaillor" app I see it does get rough there at times so was looking for some real world experience.

Actually I have been north of Ventura now that I think about it. Took a buddies 22-23ft sea ray cuddy cabin to the oil island with the bridge. Probably left at 1-2ish. Headed home around 4. Came around one of the points before Channel Islands harbor and got the shit kicked out of us lol. Made it home no problem but it was rough.

SocalChamp

Reaction score
Actually I have been north of Ventura now that I think about it. Took a buddies 22-23ft sea ray cuddy cabin to the oil island with the bridge. Probably left at 1-2ish. Headed home around 4. Came around one of the points before Channel Islands harbor and got the shit kicked out of us lol. Made it home no problem but it was rough.

Hahaha ok thanks.

spotondl

In a Purple Haze
Reaction score
That whole stretch of ocean is unique. I grew up there & boated there for many years.

It's not the size of the swells that should concern you. Choosing good days & weeks based on swell size will do you well to a point. The difference in that area is the vertical element of the swell in question. Best way I can describe is an analogy on dirt bikes. Think whoop sections. There are 3 foot whoop sections that are rolling & spaced out nicely. Grab some throttle, carry the front & let the suspension do its thing. That stretch of ocean is not that... Think 3 foot whoops (same size) but closer together & cut much more vertical.

Personally I believe it has to do with some very deep submarine canyons between the mainland & islands and the compression effect of the longshore current being squeezed like a funnel between the mainland & islands. Definitely an awesome place to boat but maintain a level of respect for the elements involved.

Side note, used to surf Mar Meadows on Santa Cruz island all the time & my ride was a 16 foot Boston Whaler. [emoji6]

SocalChamp

Reaction score
That whole stretch of ocean is unique. I grew up there & boated there for many years.

It's not the size of the swells that should concern you. Choosing good days & weeks based on swell size will do you well to a point. The difference in that area is the vertical element of the swell in question. Best way I can describe is an analogy on dirt bikes. Think whoop sections. There are 3 foot whoop sections that are rolling & spaced out nicely. Grab some throttle, carry the front & let the suspension do its thing. That stretch of ocean is not that... Think 3 foot whoops (same size) but closer together & cut much more vertical.

Personally I believe it has to do with some very deep submarine canyons between the mainland & islands and the compression effect of the longshore current being squeezed like a funnel between the mainland & islands. Definitely an awesome place to boat but maintain a level of respect for the elements involved.

Side note, used to surf Mar Meadows on Santa Cruz island all the time & my ride was a 16 foot Boston Whaler. [emoji6]

Thanks for the input, yes I understand duration of swells very well, a 30' swell is nothing at 16/19 seconds apart and can actually be a very smooth ride. I usually try not to go out unless they are at least 9 seconds appart or have no swell at all. It's when wind waves begin to grow and then you get a cross chop or cross swell that makes the water like a washing machine that gets rough. And or very short durations. I'm good at reading the weather on the various tools I have but it's not always accurate, sometime it says the water is really bad when it's axtuakkybgoass and visaversa. But at least in the areas I've been in it's somewhat predictable, where as the stretch I'm inqiering about can change very fast, fast enough where people get in trouble before they know it. (so I've read). Iys a new area to me so just trying to get all the info possible.

Tank

Reaction score
Welcome. Nice boat. Totally big enough to run out here.

I've lived here mostly all my life and have boated these waters since I was 10 (had a little zodiac with a. 4 hp I used to take to the oil rigs).
I bought a 24' Baja outlaw in 97 and boated out here (from Santa Barbara to Newport and the Channel Islands / Catalina). Then bought a 38 top gun in 05. Boated frequently on daycrusers, smaller fishing boats cabin cruisers yachts and everything in between.

The Channel Islands are AMAZINGLY beautiful and when you're out there you feel like you're on a different planet. 50' visibility, crystal clear dark blue water, sea life everywhere, insane. But yea, the fog can roll on thick and if you're not prepared the swell and chop can sneak up on you.

It's pretty easy to avoid getting stuck in large swell and wind. Just check noaa http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...OX&textField1=34.1975&textField2=-119.176&e=1
Or one of the other weather websites that give wind and swell. They're pretty spot on.

Like rich said, the water stacks up deep and it gets worse with wind chop. I've been out where I can't see anything but water all around because the swells are literally 10' plus.

I never ran gps on either boat. The swell comes in consistently and if you're at the islands you can follow them in (I've done it). Not in like zero visibility but in pretty thick fog.

Running up to Santa Barbara is awesome. We'd do lunch runs from Channel Islands to SB all the times. Favorite park was coming in super close to the 101 near rincon and racing the cars while just offshore. 6 or so cigarette boats running 80+ 300 yards off the shore next to freeway traffic is pretty bad ass.

There's a couple places in Channel Islands and Ventura that can hoist the boat in but it's expensive!!

I had a metal tail right trailer under the Baja and it lasted about 6 years with constant in and out of salt. Then I had it rebuilt.

Aluminum I beam under the cigarette and it started to get pretty bad at about the 7 year mark.

However, never had a salt related failure or issue on either boat. Salt away is your friend!

Here's some shots of us over the years. Lots of good times.

I called this day big Wednesday. It was 18' (literally). But very far spread out so you could quarter them. Still huge.
IMG_8809.jpg IMG_8810.jpg
Pic going out that day
IMG_8823.jpg
IMG_8824.jpg

My old Baja. Great boat.
IMG_8811.jpg IMG_8812.jpg IMG_8817.jpg

Varies pacific pics.
IMG_8814.jpg IMG_8816.jpg IMG_8813.JPG

Island pics.

IMG_8813.JPG IMG_8815.jpg IMG_8816.jpg IMG_8819.JPG IMG_8820.jpg IMG_8821.jpg IMG_8822.jpg IMG_8826.jpg IMG_8825.jpg

Meaney77

Reaction score

I've lived here mostly all my life and have boated these waters since I was 10 (had a little zodiac with a. 4 hp I used to take to the oil rigs).
I bought a 24' Baja outlaw in 97 and boated out here (from Santa Barbara to Newport and the Channel Islands / Catalina). Then bought a 38 top gun in 05. Boated frequently on daycrusers, smaller fishing boats cabin cruisers yachts and everything in between.

The Channel Islands are AMAZINGLY beautiful and when you're out there you feel like you're on a different planet. 50' visibility, crystal clear dark blue water, sea life everywhere, insane. But yea, the fog can roll on thick and if you're not prepared the swell and chop can sneak up on you.

It's pretty easy to avoid getting stuck in large swell and wind. Just check noaa http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...OX&textField1=34.1975&textField2=-119.176&e=1
Or one of the other weather websites that give wind and swell. They're pretty spot on.

Like rich said, the water stacks up deep and it gets worse with wind chop. I've been out where I can't see anything but water all around because the swells are literally 10' plus.

I never ran gps on either boat. The swell comes in consistently and if you're at the islands you can follow them in (I've done it). Not in like zero visibility but in pretty thick fog.

Running up to Santa Barbara is awesome. We'd do lunch runs from Channel Islands to SB all the times. Favorite park was coming in super close to the 101 near rincon and racing the cars while just offshore. 6 or so cigarette boats running 80+ 300 yards off the shore next to freeway traffic is pretty bad ass.

There's a couple places in Channel Islands and Ventura that can hoist the boat in but it's expensive!!

I had a metal tail right trailer under the Baja and it lasted about 6 years with constant in and out of salt. Then I had it rebuilt.

Aluminum I beam under the cigarette and it started to get pretty bad at about the 7 year mark.

However, never had a salt related failure or issue on either boat. Salt away is your friend!

I called this day big Wednesday. It was 18' (literally). But very far spread out so you could quarter them. Still huge.
View attachment 557934 View attachment 557935
Pic going out that day
View attachment 557942
View attachment 557950

My old Baja. Great boat.
View attachment 557936 View attachment 557937 View attachment 557938

Varies pacific pics.
View attachment 557939 View attachment 557940 View attachment 557941

Island pics.

View attachment 557941 View attachment 557943 View attachment 557940 View attachment 557944 View attachment 557945 View attachment 557946 View attachment 557947 View attachment 557948 View attachment 557949

Bad ass!! looks like a great time!

SocalChamp

Reaction score

View attachment 557934 View attachment 557935
Pic going out that day
View attachment 557942
View attachment 557950

My old Baja. Great boat.
View attachment 557936 View attachment 557937 View attachment 557938

Varies pacific pics.
View attachment 557939 View attachment 557940 View attachment 557941

Island pics.

View attachment 557941 View attachment 557943 View attachment 557940 View attachment 557944 View attachment 557945 View attachment 557946 View attachment 557947 View attachment 557948 View attachment 557949

Awesome!!! Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for. Bad ass pics too. 18'ers braking are pretty crazy! I would just stay in hahah. I live in Torrance a mile from Redondo beach hoist sonibe got that covered. Can't wait to get out there.

How is cell phone service out there? The GPS I use runs off my iPad that I have mounted to my dash, it works perfectly in the areas I've been in, but never been up that way yet.

spotondl

In a Purple Haze
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, yes I understand duration of swells very well, a 30' swell is nothing at 16/19 seconds apart and can actually be a very smooth ride. I usually try not to go out unless they are at least 9 seconds appart or have no swell at all. It's when wind waves begin to grow and then you get a cross chop or cross swell that makes the water like a washing machine that gets rough. And or very short durations. I'm good at reading the weather on the various tools I have but it's not always accurate, sometime it says the water is really bad when it's axtuakkybgoass and visaversa. But at least in the areas I've been in it's somewhat predictable, where as the stretch I'm inqiering about can change very fast, fast enough where people get in trouble before they know it. (so I've read). Iys a new area to me so just trying to get all the info possible.

That's cool, understanding swell intervals increasing & decreasing... That will carry you far in that area. Just be aware that it's not just swell duration. There is another element that I'm calling a "vertical element" & Tank called "stacking up" that this area is known for. The swells can be very steep vertically both on the frontside and backside, different than other areas. It is this extra element that sets this area apart. It's not something to be afraid of, it's completely manageable, but you should be aware of it.

Driving into the swell is VERY different than running with the swell and that is where many run into trouble.

I've been rounded up in a 110 foot dive boat in a trailing sea, skippered by a very experienced captain by a 15 foot vertical wall that literally lifted the transom & spun us around. Mind you we were only doing 10 or 15 knots & we didn't have the throttle response that your boat would have.

In your case you could have just given it a bit of throttle & surfed that swell for miles.

That is how we did it returning from the islands in the Whaler. Wasn't a big deal & was actually fun using the throttle to stay in the pocket & surfing the boat home. If we went too fast we'd run into the backside of the swell in front of us and we'd grind to a crawl as the boat literally tried to power up hill on the backside. If we went too slow the swell would lift us up & push us faster as the swell past beneath us until we literally ground to a crawl as we fell down the backside.

Maintaining that sweet spot was key in the whaler.

Tank would know better than me if given enough power it would be possible or advisable to run on top of the swell in the channel.

SocalChamp

Reaction score
That's cool, understanding swell intervals increasing & decreasing... That will carry you far in that area. Just be aware that it's not just swell duration. There is another element that I'm calling a "vertical element" & Tank called "stacking up" that this area is known for. The swells can be very steep vertically both on the frontside and backside, different than other areas. It is this extra element that sets this area apart. It's not something to be afraid of, it's completely manageable, but you should be aware of it.

Driving into the swell is VERY different than running with the swell and that is where many run into trouble.

I've been rounded up in a 110 foot dive boat in a trailing sea, skippered by a very experienced captain by a 15 foot vertical wall that literally lifted the transom & spun us around. Mind you we were only doing 10 or 15 knots & we didn't have the throttle response that your boat would have.

In your case you could have just given it a bit of throttle & surfed that swell for miles.

That is how we did it returning from the islands in the Whaler. Wasn't a big deal & was actually fun using the throttle to stay in the pocket & surfing the boat home. If we went too fast we'd run into the backside of the swell in front of us and we'd grind to a crawl as the boat literally tried to power up hill on the backside. If we went too slow the swell would lift us up & push us faster as the swell past beneath us until we literally ground to a crawl as we fell down the backside.

Maintaining that sweet spot was key in the whaler.

Tank would know better than me if given enough power it would be possible or advisable to run on top of the swell in the channel.

I see what your saying, that's for the info. I'm hoping to never be in water like that. Do the swells stay that big all the way to shore? If I follow the coast will I still wmcounter that or will it die down by then? And do you know if you get cell service out there?

spotondl

In a Purple Haze
Reaction score
I see what your saying, that's for the info. I'm hoping to never be in water like that. Do the swells stay that big all the way to shore? If I follow the coast will I still wmcounter that or will it die down by then? And do you know if you get cell service out there?

If you boat there with any regularity you will be in seas like that. Practically any summer afternoon you'll have swell & wind chop. It's not hazardous to the point of forgoing a day on the water it's just different than being on the lake on a windy day.

In direct answer to your question about swell size & the shore... Yes, if the swells are 10 feet vertically they will actually get bigger & steeper close to shore. Again, the swells aren't always big. Often they are only 1-2, maybe 2-3 feet but they can still be stacked up or steeper than the same size swell in Santa Monica bay.

Yes, cell service works for a few miles offshore however you should have at minimum a handheld VHF marine radio. Also have VesselAssist, SeaTow or BoatUS current. One tow from the islands & the membership has paid for itself for a decade.

SocalChamp

Reaction score
If you boat there with any regularity you will be in seas like that. Practically any summer afternoon you'll have swell & wind chop. It's not hazardous to the point of forgoing a day on the water it's just different than being on the lake on a windy day.

In direct answer to your question about swell size & the shore... Yes, if the swells are 10 feet vertically they will actually get bigger & steeper close to shore. Again, the swells aren't always big. Often they are only 1-2, maybe 2-3 feet but they can still be stacked up or steeper than the same size swell in Santa Monica bay.

Yes, cell service works for a few miles offshore however you should have at minimum a handheld VHF marine radio. Also have VesselAssist, SeaTow or BoatUS current. One tow from the islands & the membership has paid for itself for a decade.

Thanks again. And yes I've got sea tow/vessel assist and a VHF with GPS location Flares and and several other essentials for the ocean. My GPS is on my iPad that is mounted to the dash, that's why I asked. GPS has came in handily a couple times when the fog rolled in while I was in Adana Point and visabilty was less than 300' . I think I might get a Garmen handheld as an emergency backup incase I lose reception out there. I've got the same GPS on 3 cell phones as well incase we have an issue with the iPad. I always like to have backups with everything.

Tank

Reaction score
Phone service is good until you get on the back side of the Islands. Then it's buh bye.

I guess all these years I was part stupid part lucky and part knew the waters. I never had a real radio or GPS in either boat lol. Just rushed it. Like I said, I always relied on knowing the water and knowing how to follow it back to shore, took a cell phone, read the water and weather. Checked the swell. Meh, it all worked out. Only time o ever hit in trouble was trying to get back to marina del Rey from Catalina too late in the day. 6' head on swell, nasty wind chop. I went back and stayed the night. And that trip i left marina delrey in the Baja in the drizzle and fog without a compass heading or gPs. just knew where the island should be lol. Almost undershot it! Came out of the fog on the north end of the island. Younger and dumber. I've come back in some shit water in the cig after staying at the islands all day. But you just slow down and buckle down for the ride.

Coming up from south is rougher that going back because you'll be with the swell going back to redondo. I always found it's usually calm all the way up the coast until Mugu then it got bumpy up to Ventura and smooth through Santa Barbara. Like you said, past SB gets real nasty. But you get the weather and swell reports, you're golden.

SocalChamp

Reaction score
Phone service is good until you get on the back side of the Islands. Then it's buh bye.

I guess all these years I was part stupid part lucky and part knew the waters. I never had a real radio or GPS in either boat lol. Just rushed it. Like I said, I always relied on knowing the water and knowing how to follow it back to shore, took a cell phone, read the water and weather. Checked the swell. Meh, it all worked out. Only time o ever hit in trouble was trying to get back to marina del Rey from Catalina too late in the day. 6' head on swell, nasty wind chop. I went back and stayed the night. And that trip i left marina delrey in the Baja in the drizzle and fog without a compass heading or gPs. just knew where the island should be lol. Almost undershot it! Came out of the fog on the north end of the island. Younger and dumber. I've come back in some shit water in the cig after staying at the islands all day. But you just slow down and buckle down for the ride.

Coming up from south is rougher that going back because you'll be with the swell going back to redondo. I always found it's usually calm all the way up the coast until Mugu then it got bumpy up to Ventura and smooth through Santa Barbara. Like you said, past SB gets real nasty. But you get the weather and swell reports, you're golden.

Yeah knowing where your at is always best, I've been studying the area as much as possible, I know my area like the back of my hand now. SB and ventura is all new to me. Still ballsy to not have all the extra safety equipment, I'm terrified of the ocean and sharks, that's not going to keep me away from it but I don't jump in the water unless I'm waisted, and then shit myself about it the next day when I sober up hahah. I bring all the safty equipment and prepare the best I can, and I even try to bring friends with boats as well. Better safe than sorry when it comes to the ocean. Best boating there is to me, nothing is better than island or harbor hopping up and down So Cal. Hitting the bars and clubs, getting hotels and slips along the way. So bad ass just can't beat it.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Hey, I only Hoist out of Redondo, I live a mile from th hoist, I actually got a 30'er because that was the max length the hoist could handle, the newest launch ramp would be LB or Marina Del Ray and I didn't want to drive that far when hoist is so close. I really wanted the 34' Magnatude with twins. I'll have to wait u till they build a launch ramp in Redondo for that. Which is in the 3/4 year future.

Thanks for the response. After going in the ocean lakes just feel like ponds to me now. I still go to the river and love it, but the Pacific in my backyard is unbeatable. If there wasn't sharks I'd prob never go to the lake again hahah. We also go to ladle Shasta Pyramid Nacimiento and pine flats.

What do they charge to hoist a boat in and out in LBC/Marina Del Ray area? My BIL lives down there and always thought it would be fun to cruise around in LBC/ Naples/Balboa Island etc but never wanted to drop my trailer in after the 1st time.

Tank

Reaction score
Yeah knowing where your at is always best, I've been studying the area as much as possible, I know my area like the back of my hand now. SB and ventura is all new to me. Still ballsy to not have all the extra safety equipment, I'm terrified of the ocean and sharks, that's not going to keep me away from it but I don't jump in the water unless I'm waisted, and then shit myself about it the next day when I sober up hahah. I bring all the safty equipment and prepare the best I can, and I even try to bring friends with boats as well. Better safe than sorry when it comes to the ocean. Best boating there is to me, nothing is better than island or harbor hopping up and down So Cal. Hitting the bars and clubs, getting hotels and slips along the way. So bad ass just can't beat it.

Speaking of Sharks, two of my neighbors were out front surfing three days ago, one omg a SUP and one regular board. Dude on the sup saw a great white swim past towards the other guy. Said it was about 6' long. Little guy but enough to ruin your day! Plus the demoic acid has been very high in the water lately, it kills birds and seals and makes the sharks fuckin crazy aggressive. Needless to say, they shit their pants and got out of the water quickly. Like I said, I've grown up in and on these waters and have NEVER seen sharks close to shore here. Crazy.

Tank

Reaction score
What do they charge to hoist a boat in and out in LBC/Marina Del Ray area? My BIL lives down there and always thought it would be fun to cruise around in LBC/ Naples/Balboa Island etc but never wanted to drop my trailer in after the 1st time.

Pretty sure Lido stack in Newport harbor will fork lift a boat it too. Even if it's not stored there with them. Don't know cost though.

SocalChamp

Reaction score

I don't think they have hoists at either of those places, not for public use anyway, I hoist from Redondo harbor and it's 20$ in and 20$ out. Can't beat it. And where they hoist you in is right in front of all the bars so you can have a drink while their doing it. It's awesome. They have a 10 ton and 30' max length there. And yes Naples and Newport are both awesome places. I go to both all the time.

This is the hoist in Redondo, and that's my old boat. [video=youtube_https;5HjhByAqUag]https://youtu.be/5HjhByAqUag[/video]

SocalChamp

Reaction score
Speaking of Sharks, two of my neighbors were out front surfing three days ago, one omg a SUP and one regular board. Dude on the sup saw a great white swim past towards the other guy. Said it was about 6' long. Little guy but enough to ruin your day! Plus the demoic acid has been very high in the water lately, it kills birds and seals and makes the sharks fuckin crazy aggressive. Needless to say, they shit their pants and got out of the water quickly. Like I said, I've grown up in and on these waters and have NEVER seen sharks close to shore here. Crazy.

I saw a shark feeding right off Palos Verdes peninsula last summer, I saw the tail trashing out of the water, it was really choppy that day so I didn't stop to watch more but it was crazy. They have White sightings all the time down here. I know they're there, and that's why I stay out!!! It's not the dying that scares me, it's the living without a limb cause a fuckimg fish bit me that terrifies me! That and you can't see them comming. I love to drive boats and explore, that's the major appeal for Ocean to me. You can drive full speed for days on end and never run outa room. Plus seeing all the sea creatures is awesome too, and it's in my backyard.

SocalChamp

Reaction score
I saw a shark feeding right off Palos Verdes peninsula last summer, I saw the tail trashing out of the water, it was really choppy that day so I didn't stop to watch more but it was crazy. They have White sightings all the time down here. I know they're there, and that's why I stay out!!! It's not the dying that scares me, it's the living without a limb cause a fuckimg fish bit me that terrifies me! That and you can't see them comming. I love to drive boats and explore, that's the major appeal for Ocean to me. You can drive full speed for days on end and never run outa room. Plus seeing all the sea creatures is awesome too, and it's in my backyard.

That's my friend Danny driving my boat while I'm taking the video. He's got the same boat as me but his is Blue and White.

[video=youtube_https;HygJHJEnTk8]https://youtu.be/HygJHJEnTk8[/video]

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
Welcome to RDP! no salt for my boat, except the old center console....aloha!