WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bobs low water pickup cracking?

Bunger

Reaction score
Just picked up a carrera sst with a 200xri on it. Has a bobs low water pickup on the lowerunit and I noticed each side had a 3-4" crack where the seam is. The p/o said he sent it to Florida (where bobs shop is) and I assume they weld them on. I'm pretty sure it's just the epoxy or whatever other filler they use thas cracking and it's just cosmetic but I want to make sure and thought I would verify on here that Bob's weld them on before I grind down to look for the welds

Bunger

Reaction score
Snapped a coupl pics. Ran my knife along the edge of the crack and it scraped off like white bindi. But the p/o is thinking the things only epoxied on. Not sure if I should just run it or tear the whole thing apart and re do it.

Attachments

• IMG_3801.jpg
    IMG_3801.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_3800.jpg
    IMG_3800.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 520

Firemanjoe

Reaction score
My guess would be that they welded the nose cone on and the. Filled the transition with epoxy and that's what's cracking. I would run it and let Jesus take the wheel.

Bunger

Reaction score
My guess would be that they welded the nose cone on and the. Filled the transition with epoxy and that's what's cracking. I would run it and let Jesus take the wheel.

That's what I'm thinking. Thanks for the reply

Bunger

Reaction score
No problem, I would also change the lower unit oil and see if there's any water in the oil. That's cheap insurance

I did that already and it was old and black but no water or milk. Ran it for the first time yesterday and ran like a dream. 🤘🏼

Firemanjoe

Reaction score
I did that already and it was old and black but no water or milk. Ran it for the first time yesterday and ran like a dream. 落

Gear oil is cheap and I would do change it again just for piece of mind. Glad to hear it ran like a dream, I can't wait to see it in the water!

HST4ME

Reaction score
Nose cones and shitty motor supporters don't get along well.

SKIA36

Reaction score
I would think it is a 1 piece nose cone epoxied onto the lower unit. I would grind a small "v" into the crack, fill it with Marine tex and blend it, primer it and paint it. Back in my Mod VP days , this was a between race necessity as the vibration and forces of high speeds moved the nose cone around.

Bunger

Reaction score
Nose cones and shitty motor supporters don't get along well.
Ya I figured that wasn't helping either. Better off using one of those motor mate supports instead?

Bunger

Reaction score
I would think it is a 1 piece nose cone epoxied onto the lower unit. I would grind a small "v" into the crack, fill it with Marine tex and blend it, primer it and paint it. Back in my Mod VP days , this was a between race necessity as the vibration and forces of high speeds moved the nose cone around.[/QUOTE

Right on I'll do that. Just worried about the thing fallin off at speed.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I bet it's epoxied on. When you buy the kit from Bob's it comes with 2 part epoxy. Not enough to do the blending but enough to pretty securely attach it. I'm gonna guess that it's likely just a cosmetic crack since I doubt they used the same epoxy to blend and shape the transition. When I did mine I used the epoxy to attach it and then used long strand bondo to fill and shape it.

Bunger

Reaction score
I bet it's epoxied on. When you buy the kit from Bob's it comes with 2 part epoxy. Not enough to do the blending but enough to pretty securely attach it. I'm gonna guess that it's likely just a cosmetic crack since I doubt they used the same epoxy to blend and shape the transition. When I did mine I used the epoxy to attach it and then used long strand bondo to fill and shape it.

The previous owner said he sent it out to bobs in Florida to have it installed. According to there website they weld them on but I'm not sure how long they have been doing that.

HST4ME

Reaction score
None. If you feel you still need one a block of wood over the trim rams with light downward pressure. The ones that bolt independently to tbe trailer ruin engine mounts, mar up the gearcase, knock nose cones off, wallow out the mount bosses in the exhaust plates etc etc.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
I take jb weld to the cracks and put saranwrap over the jb weld to mold it smooth. Paint it. Looks new again.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
None. If you feel you still need one a block of wood over the trim rams with light downward pressure. The ones that bolt independently to tbe trailer ruin engine mounts, mar up the gearcase, knock nose cones off, wallow out the mount bosses in the exhaust plates etc etc.
I have the old school single ram set-up and this is what I do. I have a 2x8 I clamp in between the mid-section and the transom clamp. I have to trailer mine with the motor trimmed up due to it sitting lower in the trailer. I usually put a ratchet strap around the mid to the transom bracket to keep the motor from bouncing and allowing the wood to drop out.

Bunger

Reaction score
I have the old school single ram set-up and this is what I do. I have a 2x8 I clamp in between the mid-section and the transom clamp. I have to trailer mine with the motor trimmed up due to it sitting lower in the trailer. I usually put a ratchet strap around the mid to the transom bracket to keep the motor from bouncing and allowing the wood to drop out.

Kind of like the motor mate ya?

Attachments

• IMG_3810.jpg
    IMG_3810.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 318

WAAZ

Reaction score
I had the same condition. As mentioned, grind out the cracks and where chunks came off. Fill and smooth with Marine Tex, prime and paint. I used the Mercury spray paint I got at a marina and it seems to be holding up well. My cone was tack welded on and then epoxied.

Snapped a coupl pics. Ran my knife along the edge of the crack and it scraped off like white bindi. But the p/o is thinking the things only epoxied on. Not sure if I should just run it or tear the whole thing apart and re do it.