WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

WHo si the Mercury 300X outboard guru

Booshy

Reaction score
I have a Mercury 300x on my boat that has been sitting for some time. 3 years with little use. I freshened up the gas a bit but never touched the injector oil.

Last trip one of the motors poped a bit at idle but then cleaned up and we we headed up river. Two miles up river one motor stopped. I could not get her to turn over.

I limped back to the dock on one running Motor and pulled the boat out of the water. The locked motor would then turn over but I didn't fire it.

A Mechanic put a bore scope in and said I have some scoring and damage on two cylinders.

He called me today and said he talked to Mercury and they sell the head for that motor for $9000 plus (core) plus labor and parts to tear down and replace the other stuff. BIG BUCKS Ruined my day a little.

I am blown away. These motors have less then 190 hours on them but assume I should have been more careful with the gas and oil situation. Dont know if that oil or oil pump gum up from sitting. Kind feel like
I should have cleaned and serviced them

Is it true these heads are not honable? If we tear the engine down and there is just some score marks I hate to spend that kind of coin to fix this.

Who should I talk about these 300X motors?

***Please move this if i posted in the wrong section

HavaToon

Reaction score
Take it to Joe at DBR/Havasu Hot Laps, they are the 300x guru and are straight shooters.

Another great shop is Fallon, again Gill is a straight shooter and very fair.

And yes high quality fuel and oil are the #1 things needed to keep 2 stroke OB's happy.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Yes they are not honable since they are nikasil plates. Cost for a powerhead rebuild is easy $5000 plus, so correct fuel and oil mixtures is key.

28skater

Reaction score
Mercury stopped making 300x long blocks and the few that where left in inventory sold very quickly. Most likely your dealers is getting a re-manufactured long block check the Mercury part # 61-840756A04

Attachments

• powerheads 003.jpg
    powerheads 003.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 128