WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bravo 1 steering slop

WaterMike

Reaction score
[video=youtube_https;eJJEN69Oe6o]https://youtu.be/eJJEN69Oe6o[/video]

Vid is not my boat, but I am having the same issues. Wheel has lots of slop at no wake speed and it is difficult to keep it strait through the channel. This can not be normal? Also how do I tighten it up? I checked the rack/steering cable at the helm and it is pretty tight. The pin at the end of the cable had a bit (like 1/16 inch) of slop, but 95% of the slop is at the valve assist that the cable goes through.

Singleton

Reaction score
Go full hydraulic and it fixes the problem

WaterMike

Reaction score
Go full hydraulic and it fixes the problem

The problem with that is i do not need full hydro on this boat. I am aware that it is normal for a single v to wander. My boat has excessive wander compared to when I drove my dads boat, also a single v. Trying to take the excessive slop out, not make it track bravo 3 strait. Any tips?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Is there slop at speed? What hull/model do you have. Some Vs with a delta pad have significant wander at no wake speeds.

WaterMike

Reaction score
Is there slop at speed? What hull/model do you have. Some Vs with a delta pad have significant wander at no wake speeds.

96 Essex Monarch 23, B1 with a 7.4. There is much less slop in the steering wheel on plane, it is more what the steering should feel like. On plane there is about 1 inch of slop side to side, but at no wake speed in the channel there is 3-4 inches. I feel like a drunk idling through the channel. No slop in the gimbal ring or steering arm. Savage replaced the gimbal ring in February and I checked the steering arm before I posted this thread.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Grab the drive a see how much side to side movement there is. Gimbal is probably worn. I have had this happen before.

WaterMike

Reaction score
96 Essex Monarch 23, B1 with a 7.4. There is much less slop in the steering wheel on plane, it is more what the steering should feel like. On plane there is about 1 inch of slop side to side, but at no wake speed in the channel there is 3-4 inches. I feel like a drunk idling through the channel. No slop in the gimbal ring or steering arm. Savage replaced the gimbal ring in February and I checked the steering arm before I posted this thread.

Grab the drive a see how much side to side movement there is. Gimbal is probably worn. I have had this happen before.

See quote

Snprhed

Reaction score
If it is the gimbal ring check out hill marine. They have A sweet ss gimbal that is pricey, but fits well, and looks great.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
USB there slop in the wheel when boat is off and on trailer as well? Seems that if the shaft from the wheel to the gear box/apparatus under helm has wobble that would magnify through to the drive while at idle or no wake speeds.
Reason I bring it up is that's the issue I've been fighting on my boat, and believe getting that wobble out of the wheel would actually, not cure, but help drastically.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I have heard that all B1's have some slop in them (mine does). At some point it gets to be too much, but some slop is normal (I'm no expert, but that is what I have been told).

Gopher711

Reaction score
Tilt drive all the way down , up at top of drive @ gimbal there are 2 Nuts 9/16" IIRC that are now facing you and easy to get to . Take a Torque wrench and tighten these two equally till you get to 55 foot pounds ....I had about 2" play either way on mine until I did this and now I only have about 1/2" play . Dealer told me sometimes they get loosened up and check every few months :thumbsup