WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

how do get rid of fleas in a house?( doing a rental turn over)

Yellowboat

Reaction score
so i am doing a rental turn over and the place has millions of fleas, like you walk in and they are all over you. I already pulled the carpet and vacced the floor, but they are still every where. I bought some of the viktor flea traps that have the glue and the light, put them in yesterday before I left and this morning they have at least 500 each. I am about to get the tyvek suit out its so bad.

any ideas? do the flea bombs work?

hallett21

Reaction score
Tell the client you need the place exterminated

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I did, there is one coming Thursday, but that's 2 days lost work.

hallett21

Reaction score
I did, there is one coming Thursday, but that's 2 days lost work.

Roger. I'd for sure suit up if it's not too hot. If you do a bug bomb don't you have to vacate for a day?

Can of hair spray and a lighter lol?

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...had good luck with flea bombs but read the directions and if it says for a certain period Of time. Vacate the house listen to them...

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Fleas in Bend?? We have never had any issues with fleas over there. At one point we had to take our dog to the vet when we were over there and I knew he was about due for his next flea treatment (we live in the valley) and was just going to buy it there. The lady at the front desk told me that they didn't have flea problems in that area so they did not stock the pills....... Maybe she was FOS?

Yellowboat

Reaction score
judging by the carpet they must have had a dozen dogs in here that they never let out side. they a week ago and the pad was still soaked with piss. only in here 3 months before they got evicted.

well off to the orange box store to buy something.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Burn it down, use extra accelerant and be ready outside with extra torches to catch them as they jump out of the burning embers, I hate fleas!

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Put a couple of the outside bug lights in there and keep em on all night. It will get rid of a lot of that.

jones performance

Reaction score
my last house i got a flea infestation from the cat being outside. i set off a case (6 in a 1000sqft house) of bug bombs in the house all at once and left for 2 days. came back wiped everything down vacuumed and vacuumed some more. no isses after that, and cat was not allowed outside anymore.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Just had an issue in a garage when the dogs left. Fleas every where and they got onto the driveway even. Get some Permithrin 10 Livestock and Premise spray at Tractor Supply or a feed store. Mix up a batch and spray the hell outta the place. Repeat according to directions as eggs will hatch later. Foggers and lightweight spray from the box stores are hit and miss.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
IF it was Commiefornia, you'd have to first get a license to remove them, then get a permit to dispense of them, and next pay an inspector $300 to tell you they are gone. Guaranteed you will be selected for Jury Duty immediately afterwards.
flea.jpg

jayboat

naplesimage.com
Reaction score
Just had an issue in a garage when the dogs left. Fleas every where and they got onto the driveway even. Get some Permithrin 10 Livestock and Premise spray at Tractor Supply or a feed store. Mix up a batch and spray the hell outta the place. Repeat according to directions as eggs will hatch later. Foggers and lightweight spray from the box stores are hit and miss.

Agree- direct targeting is the best. They are on the floor and maybe below it.
Without the carpet to hide in and feed from, it should do the trick without bombs.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I live in Bend and no flea problems but the valley was awful. I would guess the hot, dry weather and no animals to feed off of will help a bunch. The animals must live in constant misery and I bet the dogs and cats are feeling like hell to

Jimmy

Reaction score
My wifes first rental she lived in had flees when she move in. Took 2 goes to get rid of them.
Previous tenents must have had dogs inside.
But there was a heap of straw under the house they were nesting in.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I live in Bend and no flea problems but the valley was awful. I would guess the hot, dry weather and no animals to feed off of will help a bunch. The animals must live in constant misery and I bet the dogs and cats are feeling like hell to

I know how bad it is just walking in that house, I could not imagine what a pet would go thru. they must have been solid fleas.

I hope the bombs work.

I have not seen fleas here in any large numbers either. end of the summer I am moving to madras. I bought 40 acres and already put a steal building and foundation for a new home on it. it has a old single wide now, i am hopeful to get a home weather tight on it this year and then finish it over the summer.

C-2

Reaction score
Sevin Dust --it's the old fashioned "flea powder" from when we were kids, but now it's a bad, bad, poison --NOT!

I use it everywhere, including on my farm. You can buy it at Lowes and mix it with water to a milky consistency and spray thru a Hudson sprayer.,

Or, just powder the crap out of everything --it can be used on plants and animals, too. I sprinkle the stuff around the edges of my doors and windows and ants no longer exist here. I also use it on my dogs and chickens.

Food grade diatomaceous earth (not the pool stuff, it is different) can be sprinkled on carpet and is 100% safe. Also safe on edible plants. It's crystals pierce the exoskeleton of any insect, and kills the pest via dehydration.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Phase #1 is done. Next is to vacuum the living shit out of the place. Every nook and cranny with something that has a bag to be thrown away after double bagging it. Change the HVAC filter as well. Go back and spray all the nooks and crannies. You are going to lose 2-3 days at best if they were so thick they jumped on the walls after you pulled the carpet. You also need to spray the yard.

termiteguy

Reaction score
Just let the pro do his job what is the cost maybe 200 bucks at most and a 30 day warranty

rrrr

Reaction score
Days lost is way more than that. Just left there and the floor is covered with dead fleas.

In a couple of days another generation will hatch and you'll be back to square one. Keep bombing it so you can work, but call an exterminator.

It's almost impossible to get rid of fleas when they have been allowed to reproduce generation after generation.

My wife's dad was an alcoholic, when he was found on the floor dead we had to clean his house out. It had been empty for two weeks when we walked in. He had four dogs that shit and pissed everywhere, and the fleas were unbelievable. Thirty seconds after walking into the house my legs looked black there were so many fleas.

We set off ten bombs at a time, would leave for six hours and do it again. Did this for two days while waiting for the exterminator. I wore a respirator and sprayed DEET on myself every couple of hours. A day after the exterminator did his thing they were all dead, the floors were black from all the dead little bastards.

He was also a hoarder and chain smoker. We filled up two thirty yard dumpsters cleaning out the house. I ripped out all the plumbing, cabinets, doors, windows, and lighting fixtures. Everything was brown from nicotine and filthy from years of hoarding. I had six Guatemalans helping my wife and I, we did all the rehab work ourselves.

It took six weeks of hard work, but when we listed the house it sold in two weeks.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
thousands dead this morning. vac the hell out of the place, talked to an older gentlemen that was out for his morning walk that said they had at least a dozen dogs in the home :eek

Yellowboat

Reaction score
got all the pva sprayed today, the babies are starting to come back so dropped a couple more bombs for the night.

rrrr

Reaction score

If you had called an exterminator to begin with they wouldn't be hatching. Tomorrow more will hatch, and the day after that too. You aren't killing all of them with the bombs.

You aren't killing the fleas in the yard either. They'll keep reproducing and hatching new generations, and some will end up in the house about the time the new carpet is in. Back to square one.

Why are you taking on the responsibility for killing the fleas anyway? Your DIY attempts are gonna fail and the homeowner is going to be unhappy.

I don't understand some of the stuff you do. You just make things harder on yourself.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I did they were there thursday.and sprayed the shit out of everything, it did not work. If you had read the thread you would know that one was called and was showing up thursday, its why I had too take the day off as the guy went in with a full gas mask and tyvek.

Its very simple, I don't like to get bit by fleas, I have to have the house painted by monday night as I have court out of state Wednesday.

I would rather not diy it, but I would rather do something, then get eatin alive.

ps if you know of a better way to make ~$8500 in two weeks, please let me know.