WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

temp problem

Dog boy

Reaction score
Bought a Baker 18 tunnel with a Merc. XR2 150 motor a few weeks ago,Went out on the river with another inmate and noticed the temp gauge was stuck at 150.Went up river and gauge went right to 240 maxed out. Brought the motor down to idle and gauge stayed at about 200, Rob jeep dog who was with me looked at the motor and we noticed it was not hot and the impeller had just been changed.Last week I changed the impeller again removed and replaced the temp sensor and swapped out the gauge with one my neighbor gave me.Today out on the river again and same situation temp at 240 at about 5 grand RPM. stopped the boat opened the cowls and motor did not seem to be over heating.Need some input on what may be the problem?
Thanks

HST4ME

Reaction score
Go buy an inexpensive infrared temp gun. They won't run at 240 for long. What you'll find is the sender mis matched to the gauge. Take the cowls off...run it and shoot the heads on top just behind the t stat housings. They came with 143 degree thermostats and it should run 140-160 degrees depending on lake temp.

Dog boy

Reaction score
I put each T-stat in hot water and got them to set off alarm.Ordered a new gauge and poppet valve.Thanks, will update with fix.

Dog boy

Reaction score
Today I checked the poppet valve, worked as advertised.Installed gauge I bought from Mercury for my specific setup and ran the engine for a while and used temp gun.Engine temp. never went above 120 degrees on reading from gun but gauge still did not match engine temp.Not going to worry about it.The warning horn works and never went off, plus I have checked or replaced everything pertaining to the water flow and sensing on it.I plan on re powering and installing a jack plate and hydraulic steering in the fall.
Thanks for the help.

Nielmcque

Reaction score
Did you buy the one out near yuma or the one in canyon lake ca. My baker was having a weird temp gauge issue along with other gauge issues. It ended up being caused by some bad grounds. Some equipment was not grounded back to the battery and was causing weird electrical issues including similar temp gauge issues.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I remember him saying he bought the one from Canyon Lake.

Did you buy the one out near yuma or the one in canyon lake ca. My baker was having a weird temp gauge issue along with other gauge issues. It ended up being caused by some bad grounds. Some equipment was not grounded back to the battery and was causing weird electrical issues including similar temp gauge issues.

Nielmcque

Reaction score
I looked at that one for a while it was a one owner boat i think. I ended up buying a different one.

Dog boy

Reaction score
I looked at that one for a while it was a one owner boat i think. I ended up buying a different one.

Canyon Lake,already sold it for a loss and bought a Stoker.

Attachments

• IMG_1369.jpg
    IMG_1369.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 191

Dog boy

Reaction score
Nice stoker. Why did you sell the baker.

it was a very clean little boat, It was going to cost me more money to get it to where I wanted it to be.Repower, hydro steering foot throttle, stand off jack plate.I was going to buy the Stoker a few months ago and it came back up for sale so I pulled the trigger and it's a great boat.The Baker was a nice little one owner boat but I'm done doing a lot of upgrades.Made that mistake on my flat bottom and wound up selling it for a fraction of the cash I burned thru on it.