WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Batteries

Jmp

Reaction score
What do you guys run in your boats? I have some blue top optimas that I'm going to replace. I do t think they are what they used to be. I have a couple that are only 16 months old and on there way out. I can't warranty them because I'm not the original purchaser. Do you guys think the agm are worth the premium you pay over the lead acid?

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
Im going on 2 years now with good ol lead acid autozoners I bought in Parker in may 2015, and they are still kickin'

Backlash

Reaction score
Red Tops on the Dodge and an AGM in the Suburban. Red Top for one Toyota and a lead acid for the other. :D

One Red and one Blue Top for the boat even though it isn't up and running. LMAO!

I'm all over the board here! :D

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Nothing fancy, but got 9 years out of two Centennial Marine batteries. They were working great, but replaced them last spring with the same because I was starting to worry. Don't have a huge stereo and always kept them charged.:thumbsup

K-DOG

Reaction score
I run 2 Optima Blue Tops. Never left me stranded and one of them is going on 8 years old.

Boat 405

Reaction score
I run a set of AGM batteries Group 34. About $175 a piece. Got them at All American Battery in Havasu. I keep them on a battery tender whenever the boat isn't in the water. Did the same with my single 1250 Odyssey, It went 10 years and counting

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Odyssey. I've had the same pair for 10 years and they are still running strong. Expensive but worth it.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
What do you guys run in your boats? I have some blue top optimas that I'm going to replace. I do t think they are what they used to be. I have a couple that are only 16 months old and on there way of. I can't warranty them because I'm not the original purchaser. Do you guys think the agm are worth the premium you pay over the lead acid?

I have heard the"their not what they used to be" my last pair I bought in 2008, I just replaced them, not because I had too, but just insurance, I run the stereo all day, start and move all day, I've never had an issue, I like they don't spill, and they have never left me stranded.
Just my 2 cents.

Icky

Reaction score
Odyssey. I've had the same pair for 10 years and they are still running strong. Expensive but worth it.

Which ones, I've been thinking about switching to these once my current ones are done

HavaToon

Reaction score
The question is do you have a big stereo and play it loud for long periods of time? If yes go with Odyssey, if no go with a good lead acid.

Scott E

Reaction score
Optima Blue Tops from Costco with an on-board charger. Blue Tops were purchased at Costco when boat was being built in 2006. When the boat is in the garage the battery charger is plugged in.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
If you don't maintain your batteries, I would go with the cheapest option with the best return policy like Costco. I used to pull my stereo batteries and use them in my garage for old car stereo equipment that I used while washing cars. If you maintain them and want long lasting charges to run stereo equipment, go with XS Batteries. They outperform just about everything.

https://www.google.com/search?q=xs+.....69i57j0l5.3558j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

USMC2010

Reaction score
3.5 years on a Centennial Marine #1 and 2.5 years on a blue top optima for #2. I lost battery number 2 (Centennial) in my first year of having the Nordic, installed a permanent mounted charger and haven't had any problems since.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I have heard the"their not what they used to be" my last pair I bought in 2008, I just replaced them, not because I had too, but just insurance, I run the stereo all day, start and move all day, I've never had an issue, I like they don't spill, and they have never left me stranded.
Just my 2 cents.

The Optimas I buy directly from Optima seem to be OK.
Other sellers of Optimas? Well, I think their may some kinda monkey business as to how old they really are, and how poorly they were maintained in storage when shipped.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I run 2 Optima Blue Tops. Never left me stranded and one of them is going on 8 years old.

Same here. I have 4. Its to much $$$ to change my kustom battery covers that just fit Optimas. :p

Singleton

Reaction score
Green top Interstate Marine batteries. Deep cycle. They usually last 5-6 years, and my boat lives out in the heat at the river.

Same setup. Going on year 4. First set lasted 6 years. Upgraded stereo this off season and depending on what occurs, we will add a 3rd dedicated for starting and 2 for the stereo. All 3 will be green tops.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Same setup. Going on year 4. First set lasted 6 years. Upgraded stereo this off season and depending on what occurs, we will add a 3rd dedicated for starting and 2 for the stereo. All 3 will be green tops.
I split mine one for starting only, one for Everything else. [emoji106]

HitIt

Reaction score
I usually go with whatever lead acid deep cycle Costco happens to carry and replace them fairly often. I feel better having fresh mediocre batteries than trying to keep fancy batteries lasting a long time.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Green top Interstate Marine batteries. Deep cycle. They usually last 5-6 years, and my boat lives out in the heat at the river.

Thats what our boat has and I have never had any problems. I've never had anything but bad luck with Optima. All of the hotrods have Odyssey.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I have a pair of interstates in mine. Both dated 2011, no issues, no onboard charger (but we use the boat very frequently, even in the winter).

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
It's no secret Optima is not the same since Johnson Controls started building them in Mexico. Shitty part is they usually give no warning I have then just die like a direct short or something. Exide has been crap even though they are made in the USA. Stick to East Penn, Odyssey, XS for stereo and hopefully have better luck than some of the junk out there. Batteries and trailer tires are almost the same crapshoot.

28skater

Reaction score
Sears gel battery going on 4 years still holding a charge and they loose very little over the winter.

Skater 003.jpg

Another great option is to buy battery's from Summit Racing 100% warranty great pricing and free next day delivery.

If your battery is still in the warranty period just call them up say no worky and they send you a brand new one no charge no testing with no return necessary! :champagne:

Some could say 2fo1

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Sears gel battery going on 4 years still holding a charge and they loose very little over the winter.

View attachment 563328

Another great option is to buy battery's from Summit Racing 100% warranty great pricing and free next day delivery.

If your battery is still in the warranty period just call them up say no worky and they send you a brand new one no charge no testing with no return necessary! :champagne:

Some could say 2fo1

Almost positive Odyssey made those DieHards