WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Oil change pump

Robseg

Reaction score
My bother in law has a Sky Supreme with a Merc 350cu V-8. I need to change the oil and was wondering what people use to get the oil out. I found the dip stick tube has a threaded end on it. Is there a pump of some sort that threads on it? Or do you suck it out of somewhere else? I cant figure out how to get the picture to attach after i upload it.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Yes, order a pump to thread onto dipstick tube. I have a hand pump and it gets pretty tiring after the first couple minutes of pumping. Read the reviews of the drill powered pumps, I would go that route for sure

Shortdeck

Reaction score
I've used an oil extractor pump. A small tube goes inside the dipstick and the pump creates a vacuum to suck the old oil out. After I got tired of that, I put a drain plug tube you can route out of the bilge.

cofooter

Reaction score
I use a pump called "Suck It Up". Tube goes down the dipstick, Works great!!

Yellowboat

Reaction score
you can also get a drain plug that has a hose attached and a valve to do it.

Robseg

Reaction score
Thanks I ordered a pump from Amazon. I think it has a hose on the drain plug but cant remember. the boat is in Placerville area so I can look at it. thanks for the replies.

Rob

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I use this one. 12v and under $20 shipped. I needed a longer piece of 1/4 inch tube to get to the bottom of my oil pan, so another $5 and a trip to Home Depot Marine to get it dialed in.

Works great as long as the oil is warm. Takes 2-3 minutes. I usually run the boat on the lake and suck the oil out when I get it back in the garage.

Shoreline Marine Oil Changer, 12 Volts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UOU6L0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_YJklzbCHNWKM5

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
In the pass I had boats with a drain hose .
The boat I have I forgot to have a hose connected before it was installed.
I bought a electric pump with a container from West Marine .(paid a lot for it $160 120 v )didn't want junk
It pumped so fast i didn't even finish my beer.
Took the boat out the day before, left the hatch closed that night .In the morning I drained it
So easy.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Pull the drain plug and dump into the bilge :eek

Jabsco makes a few different electric pumps that have the oil impeller.

CobraDave

Reaction score
I use this one. 12v and under $20 shipped. I needed a longer piece of 1/4 inch tube to get to the bottom of my oil pan, so another $5 and a trip to Home Depot Marine to get it dialed in.

Works great as long as the oil is warm. Takes 2-3 minutes. I usually run the boat on the lake and suck the oil out when I get it back in the garage.

Shoreline Marine Oil Changer, 12 Volts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UOU6L0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_YJklzbCHNWKM5

I know we talked about this on the lake. Is this the one you use and do you still recommend it? Gotta get this oil change done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraDave

Reaction score
Another question. Does the oil drain hoses that connect to the drain plug and pull out the boats drain plug work well?
IMG_7277.jpg

Will it still pull through or work with this style drain plug?
IMG_7276.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Another question. Does the oil drain hoses that connect to the drain plug and pull out the boats drain plug work well?
View attachment 770163

View attachment 770164

You’ll need a different drain plug I believe. But those do work ok to drain the oil.

The vacuum pump works really well though.

CobraDave

Reaction score
I guess I could fumoto valve it too...

SFOcean

Reaction score
Cobra, that drain plug will unscrew all the way out leaving a bigger hole than the standard 1/2"NPT. It has threads on both ends of the "plug". From where it is now, just pull gently to engage the rear threads and unscrew the plug out.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Cobra, that drain plug will unscrew all the way out leaving a bigger hole than the standard 1/2"NPT. It has threads on both ends of the "plug". From where it is now, just pull gently to engage the rear threads and unscrew the plug out.

Thanks I didn’t know it did that.

renodaytona

Reaction score
I have one of the ez drain kits on mine but have to pull the nut/plug off of the end as it wont fit through my plug hole. I end up stuffing a foam ear plug and tape it with a small amount of duct tape be fore shoving it through to eliminate the mess.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Can you get down there far enough to reach it? If so that makes it easy.

Oh it would be tight. Lol. I bought the pump. It just has horrible reviews. I’m gonna need longer hose?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Oh it would be tight. Lol. I bought the pump. It just has horrible reviews. I’m gonna need longer hose?

Most likely you will want a longer hose. I did need a longer one. I went to Home Depot and got some (I believe) 1/4" plastic tubing. I just matched what came with the pump and swapped the pump fittings to the longer hose.

I made the tube long enough to rest the pump on a stable spot in the engine compartment.

The reviews are horrible because people don't understand the oil needs to be warm to hot. I usually do the oil an hour or so after we get off the water. I've used it for 6 seasons now.. It if broke I'd still be happy and buy another.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
View attachment 770163

View attachment 770164

My friend has this on his boat. It is safety wired to one of his plugs, he just pulls it through the transom to drain. Works well.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
For those using the pumps; how many quarts are you usually filling back up with in comparison to factory specs?

The EZ Drain oil kit looks great but I imagine it's a pain to install while the motor is in.

CobraDave

Reaction score
For those using the pumps; how many quarts are you usually filling back up with in comparison to factory specs?

The EZ Drain oil kit looks great but I imagine it's a pain to install while the motor is in.

Yeah. But a pain just once.

I just did the change using the pump LOF recommended. I think it took about 5 minutes but no mess at all. Pretty easy. I did make a little mess with the filter. I thought the upside down filter would be free of oil but man was I mistaken.