WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Stubborn Suction Piece removal

BiggusJimbus

Reaction score
Hi All,
It's been a long time since I've been around. I need some advice...

I just bought a 1990 Ultra. I knew it needed pump work. It is tired. The shaft was worn at the tail bearings so bad there was about 1/8" of movement. So, I'm tearing it down, but I've hit a snag. Maybe somebody out there has a genius solution. I've used up my genius.

The suction piece appears to have been glued down with some kind of RTV product. It's a 12JG pump, so there is a lot of surface area where the suction piece mates to the intake.

Has anybody fought this battle before?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim.

X Hoser

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just bought a 1990 Ultra. I knew it needed pump work. It is tired. The shaft was worn at the tail bearings so bad there was about 1/8" of movement. So, I'm tearing it down, but I've hit a snag. Maybe somebody out there has a genius solution. I've used up my genius.

The suction piece appears to have been glued down with some kind of RTV product. It's a 12JG pump, so there is a lot of surface area where the suction piece mates to the intake.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim.

I could be wrong here but Google IBM 5200 Sealant. Tough stuff to get off if that is what it is.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Are you sure you have all the bolts out?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I could be wrong here but Google IBM 5200 Sealant. Tough stuff to get off if that is what it is.

Yea, if someone used 5200 instead of a plain gasket, that would be a serious bummer.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Worst case scenario, I am kinda thinking the shaft can be removed out the back by taking the cap off the front bearing and taking the c clip off. Wear ring can be removed in the boat as well.

The suction housing doesn't really NEED to come out.

Brian

BiggusJimbus

Reaction score
I wish I knew what it was. It's a black goop. I need to get the pump out for a major rebuild. With the amount of wear on the tail bearings, I'm suspicious of other areas. I was trying to avoid pulling the motor, but not sure I have much choice. Mostly I just don't have a good place to do it, but I do have an Idea on that. My driveway is pretty slopey, so I always dislike doing that kind of thing in it.

I'll look up the product that was suggested to see if there is anything I can do.

WIll heat cause damage to the hull? Of course, that's the last thing I want.

Thanks for the replies.

Jim.

BiggusJimbus

Reaction score
I'm in Walnut Creek. SF Bay Area. I'll double check on the bolts, but I'm pretty sure. That would be stupid, but I've been stupid before.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Well, heat isn't a bad thing, Heat from mapp gas used wisely wont hurt it. That is how the intake has to come out.

Heat from acetylene isn't good. :yikes.

black RTV shouldn't hold it that good.

Check the bolts again.

I still don't think the suction HAS to come out.....

Brian

I wish I knew what it was. It's a black goop. I need to get the pump out for a major rebuild. With the amount of wear on the tail bearings, I'm suspicious of other areas. I was trying to avoid pulling the motor, but not sure I have much choice. Mostly I just don't have a good place to do it, but I do have an Idea on that. My driveway is pretty slopey, so I always dislike doing that kind of thing in it.

I'll look up the product that was suggested to see if there is anything I can do.

WIll heat cause damage to the hull? Of course, that's the last thing I want.

Thanks for the replies.

Jim.

BiggusJimbus

Reaction score
Thanks, Brian.

I'll try some heat on it. I have a Mapp gas torch sitting right there I used to get a couple other pieces apart. I'll give it a try. If that fails, I'll pull the motor and do it in the boat. I was hoping to put the pump in front of an expert, but I've successfully done this before in a boat, so I agree it can be done.

This boat had a big old Supercharged motor in it for much of it's life. I see from the impeller it took a pretty good whack. You can see a couple good bends in a stainless impeller that will need to be massaged out or the impeller replaced. I just don't want to miss any hidden damage and have to go through this excercise again.

Jim.

Well, heat isn't a bad thing, Heat from mapp gas used wisely wont hurt it. That is how the intake has to come out.

Heat from acetylene isn't good. :yikes.

black RTV shouldn't hold it that good.

Check the bolts again.

I still don't think the suctions HAS to come out.....

Brian

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Worst case scenario, I am kinda thinking the shaft can be removed out the back by taking the cap off the front bearing and taking the c clip off. Wear ring can be removed in the boat as well.

The suction housing doesn't really NEED to come out.

Brian

Suction housing can stay, IF the engine is out.

The shaft and bearing are removed from the front of the suction housing. NOT the rear.

From CP Performance:

[video=youtube;vwdsYGNAUeM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwdsYGNAUeM[/video]

Dan'l

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score

The shaft and bearing are removed from the front of the suction housing. NOT the rear.

Dan'l

Video does not work for me, I seem to recall a snap ring on the engine side of the bearing.

Im not saying it is the best way, just another way if the suction housing don't come out.

Brian

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Video does not work for me, I seem to recall a snap ring on the engine side of the bearing.

Im not saying it is the best way, just another way if the suction housing don't come out.

Brian

It takes a 10 ton press to press the bearing onto the shaft.

How big of press to remove 20+ year old rusted and seized bearing off the shaft?

The bearing will not fall off the shaft after removing the C clip.

The shaft will not come out from the rear of the suction housing.

But I'm not a Masheen-ast, either.

Daniel

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
It takes a 10 ton press to press the bearing onto the shaft.

How big of press to remove 20+ year old rusted and seized bearing off the shaft?

The bearing will not fall off the shaft after removing the C clip.

The shaft will not come out from the rear of the suction housing.

But I'm not a Masheen-ast, either.

Daniel

Yes sir. I agree on the press.

Got it. I don't recall the front bearings coming off, or going on, that hard.

My bad.

Carry on.

BiggusJimbus

Reaction score
Awesome. Heat did the trick. Next question, are these two flat surfaces or is there a lip that I have to clear to pull it out?

Thanks for the help. It WILL come out.

Jim.

Yes sir. I agree on the press.

Got it. I don't recall the front bearings coming off, or going on, that hard.

My bad.

Carry on.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
there is a product called 'debond" it comes in a spray can. it will make it softer so it can come off.

BiggusJimbus

Reaction score
It's out. Thanks all. Heat is my friend.

Now, let's see what kind of shape this is in. I'm sure it's bad. At the least, I'll be putting a new shaft in there.

Will a stock shaft support 500HP? That's what the dyno sheet I have says. Maybe a bit skeptical, but we'll see once all this is back together.

Jim.

BiggusJimbus

Reaction score
The shaft is worn offset at the tail bearings. That screams bent shaft to me. Looks like it was all a catastrophic rock event. Enough to bend the impeller vanes on the output side. I'd prefer to save the SS impeller, but we'll see. I'll have the guys at CP review it and give me some advice. Nothing else seems dramatically out of whack.

BiggusJimbus

Reaction score
I think the snap ring is just on the Aquamet shaft.

Brian

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Hi All,

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim.

Feel free to call for some coaching, suctions should NEVER be glued or sealed to intakes if that's what I'm getting here and yes "lots of surface area" so they are a tough nut when Captain goop takes over , the trick is to crack it (the suction) loose without cracking it 805 466 4719 anytime for Tech help Tom

BiggusJimbus

Reaction score
I appreciate to offer. Thanks very much. Always good to have that backup out there. I'm going up to CP tomorrow. They will look over my pieces and advise on choices. I'm sure the shaft is toast. I'm 50/50 on saving the impeller. I think the rest of the housings and non-rebuild parts should check out OK.

I promise to NOT glue the intake back in. If I own this boat long enough, I'll want to get back in there someday.

I'll post my results.

these groups always keep me on the right track. Gotta love the interwebz.

Jim.

Feel free to call for some coaching, suctions should NEVER be glued or sealed to intakes if that's what I'm getting here and yes "lots of surface area" so they are a tough nut when Captain goop takes over , the trick is to crack it (the suction) loose without cracking it 805 466 4719 anytime for Tech help Tom

BiggusJimbus

Reaction score
OK, Things are coming along swimmingly.

Next challenge... I'm trying to seat the bearing cap seal. Not having much luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Jim.

BiggusJimbus

Reaction score
Thanks for you time on the phone this morning, Tom. Much appreciate the advice and the information.

If I don't get sidetracked, I should be all back together this afternoon.

Jim.

From CP Performance:

[video=youtube;vwdsYGNAUeM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwdsYGNAUeM[/video]

Dan'l

BiggusJimbus

Reaction score
BTW, Brian,
You are correct about the snap ring. It is ALL shafts. I should limit myself to speaking about things I actually know about. :rolleyes

Brian

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Not sure if you caught it, but Tom over at Jet Boat Performance has saved me on more than one occassion when I was rebuilding my jet (old boat).

Tom-Jet Boat Performance-805 466 4719

BiggusJimbus

Reaction score
Sure did. Got some sound advice from him this morning. Thanks.

Not sure if you caught it, but Tom over at Jet Boat Performance has saved me on more than one occassion when I was rebuilding my jet (old boat).

Tom-Jet Boat Performance-805 466 4719