Selman Chevrolet - Top

Moto Metal - Top

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member Dirtbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Yorba Linda/Lake Havasu
    Posts
    1,575
    Thanks
    755
    Thanked 1,435 Times

    DIY Looking for Guidance and Help

    So when we come out to Havasu for the 4th we are going to be updating our new Polaris General 4. I want to do as much as I can by myself. I know nothing about wiring electricity or tools in general. But I really want to learn so hopefully i can fix my boat when it breaks and now this General.

    So to Start we are going to install:

    50" curved lightbar on the roof https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...vert-amazon-20
    12" Light bar on front Bumper https://www.amazon.com/Light-Eyourli...+led+light+bar
    20" Light bar on back Roof for a reverse light https://www.amazon.com/Eyourlife-Dri...+led+light+bar

    We are going to use MICTUNING rocker switches.

    I still need to find a couple lighted whips and mounts.

    The cool thing about Polaris is the Lock and Ride but obviously anything aftermarket isnt lock and ride.

    Now i know nothing about voltage and batteries and how all that works. ive watched a bunch of lighting video installs but it really doesnt tell you everything you need. I want to have everything ready to rock so we can spend all night getting this stuff installed. Do you guys have any suggestions?

    Im also going to strip all the graphics off the General. I want to get it wrapped to have similar graphics of our boat. Do you guys know anyone who does that in havasu?
    2017 28' Shockwave Deckboat
    Mercury Racing 600SCI
    Bravo XR
    http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forum...Dirtbag-Family

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    88
    Thanked 75 Times
    It all depends on how you want to do it. You can do it as simply as connecting the wires to your battery, through your switch (use included diagram) up you your light with an inline fuse. You could also go the route of getting a Blue Sea fuse block. This allows you to run power from the battery to the fuse block and then wire your lights from the fuse block. This allows for a cleaner install because there wont be 4 different wires coming off of your battery. The most important part of any wiring install (IMO), is to ensure a proper ground.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to ArizonaKevin For This Useful Post:

    Dirtbag (06-06-2017)

  4. #3
    Senior Member Dirtbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Yorba Linda/Lake Havasu
    Posts
    1,575
    Thanks
    755
    Thanked 1,435 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaKevin View Post
    It all depends on how you want to do it. You can do it as simply as connecting the wires to your battery, through your switch (use included diagram) up you your light with an inline fuse. You could also go the route of getting a Blue Sea fuse block. This allows you to run power from the battery to the fuse block and then wire your lights from the fuse block. This allows for a cleaner install because there wont be 4 different wires coming off of your battery. The most important part of any wiring install (IMO), is to ensure a proper ground.
    Kevin if i wire straight to the battery wont these accessories be always on? I would like that not to be the case. I would like them to power up when i have hit the switches. I definitely want the cleanest and safest install.
    2017 28' Shockwave Deckboat
    Mercury Racing 600SCI
    Bravo XR
    http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forum...Dirtbag-Family

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirtbag For This Useful Post:

    ArizonaKevin (06-06-2017)

  6. #4
    Senior Member hallett21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,196
    Thanks
    2,114
    Thanked 1,247 Times

    DIY Looking for Guidance and Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
    Kevin if i wire straight to the battery wont these accessories be always on? I would like that not to be the case. I would like them to power up when i have hit the switches. I definitely want the cleanest and safest install.
    Battery to fuse block. Then fuse block to switch. Then switch to light. Use quality butt splices with correct crimp tool. Also shrink wrap all butt splices.

    Secure wires often to prevent vibrations that could lead to bad connections
    Last edited by hallett21; 06-06-2017 at 02:27 PM.

  7. #5
    Senior Member Dirtbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Yorba Linda/Lake Havasu
    Posts
    1,575
    Thanks
    755
    Thanked 1,435 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by hallett21 View Post
    Battery to fuse block. Then fuse block to switch. Then switch to light. Use quality butt splices with correct crimp tool. Also shrink wrap all butt splices.

    Secure wires often to prevent vibrations that could lead to bad connections
    i actually understand everything you just said which is a surprise. only issue i have is the butt splices and crmp tool and shrink wrap. I will be using these wiring harnesses. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A15H3UKRB6RHF9
    2017 28' Shockwave Deckboat
    Mercury Racing 600SCI
    Bravo XR
    http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forum...Dirtbag-Family

  8. #6
    Senior Member Waffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,818
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked 1,393 Times
    Please use a relay when wiring. Don't splice into existing circuits​ and use the proper gauge for whatever accessory you're wiring up. A bit of Overkill but better to be safe than sorry

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    88
    Thanked 75 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
    Kevin if i wire straight to the battery wont these accessories be always on? I would like that not to be the case. I would like them to power up when i have hit the switches. I definitely want the cleanest and safest install.
    I echo what Hallett21 posted below, if you want the cleanest and safest install, use a fuse block. Blue Sea makes a great product. I am not sure where the battery is in the general, but in our RZR it is below the seats, you can mount the fuse block virtually anywhere, ours is under the hood to make the fuses easily accessible if required.

  10. #8
    Senior Member hallett21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,196
    Thanks
    2,114
    Thanked 1,247 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffles View Post
    Please use a relay when wiring. Don't splice into existing circuits​ and use the proper gauge for whatever accessory you're wiring up. A bit of Overkill but better to be safe than sorry
    X2

    Looks like your harnesses all come with relays so that's good.

  11. #9
    Senior Member hallett21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,196
    Thanks
    2,114
    Thanked 1,247 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
    i actually understand everything you just said which is a surprise. only issue i have is the butt splices and crmp tool and shrink wrap. I will be using these wiring harnesses. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A15H3UKRB6RHF9
    That harness appears to be plug and play. I'm sure it has more than enough wire. For a "clean" install you'll end up cutting the wire length and then need to crimp on new connections.

    Typically you'd be butt splicing at the lights and then re-crimping terminals for the switch (whatever connection the switch uses) and re crimping connectors for the battery terminal.

    Another suggestion would be lining up the relays all together so that in the event something breaks you are able to quickly diagnose (battery-->fuse-->relay-->switch-->lights)

    You don't want to have to be un securing wires trying to chase everything down.

    Go to any supply store (Home Depot etc) and get phasing tape. It's colored electrical tape. Go ahead and put red on a relay and red also on the light connections. Blue for another and white for another.

    That way when you are running your wires and securing everything you will know which relay corresponds with what light/switch. When you are all done you can get a paint pen and label your relays 1-3 or however many you have. That way if you have one go bad you know relay 1 = light bar etc.

    Hope that wasn't too winded

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to hallett21 For This Useful Post:

    Dirtbag (06-06-2017)

  13. #10
    Senior Member Dirtbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Yorba Linda/Lake Havasu
    Posts
    1,575
    Thanks
    755
    Thanked 1,435 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by hallett21 View Post
    That harness appears to be plug and play. I'm sure it has more than enough wire. For a "clean" install you'll end up cutting the wire length and then need to crimp on new connections.

    Typically you'd be butt splicing at the lights and then re-crimping terminals for the switch (whatever connection the switch uses) and re crimping connectors for the battery terminal.

    Another suggestion would be lining up the relays all together so that in the event something breaks you are able to quickly diagnose (battery-->fuse-->relay-->switch-->lights)

    You don't want to have to be un securing wires trying to chase everything down.

    Go to any supply store (Home Depot etc) and get phasing tape. It's colored electrical tape. Go ahead and put red on a relay and red also on the light connections. Blue for another and white for another.

    That way when you are running your wires and securing everything you will know which relay corresponds with what light/switch. When you are all done you can get a paint pen and label your relays 1-3 or however many you have. That way if you have one go bad you know relay 1 = light bar etc.

    Hope that wasn't too winded
    that was awesome.....im gonna get everything here...then lay it all out....send you a picture and hope i do it right haha
    2017 28' Shockwave Deckboat
    Mercury Racing 600SCI
    Bravo XR
    http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forum...Dirtbag-Family

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast