WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Three questions...

wildhorse

Reaction score
Pulling into a marina a couple of weeks ago with our 21RC V-Drive the shift cable broke with the boat in reverse. We manipulated the boat shifting by hand to an area in the marina where a mechanic installed a new one for us so our weekend wasn't ruined. I've since driven the boat one time and it steers slightly to the right, and if I take my hands off the steering wheel it slowly turns right. It seems as if left unattended it could accelerate the right turn as the wheel seems to increase speed as it turns. Any ideas how a steering problem could be linked such as tying it off with the shift cable? I haven't gotten back to the boat to look it over but would like to have a plan of action in my mind. I don't want to return to the shop, or accuse them of anything, etc.. I just want to fix it. Had it been any less convienant by literally breaking in front of a repair shop I would have ordered a cable and changed it when we got home.

Regarding the V-Drive... The boat is an older RC and I don't know the make of the drive FWIW. My question is that when idling in either forward or reverse it sounds like gears are clanging around inside. If an airplane sounded like this I'd never fly.... Anyhow as soon as there is any load placed on the thing by adding even the slightest pressure on the throttle it quiets down. Letting off the throttle and it sounds terrible again. I've been told this is normal and this boat has sounded like this for decades. Now that it's mine I want to know if it's actually screaming for maintenance.

Third question.... I'd like a project. My last one was an airplane that I built in my garage. I've never taken on a boat project and came across an old 22' Schiada hull that is stripped of everything. It was originally a jet and the hull has holes where the drive was, etc... Overall the hull looks to be in good shape, but completely unloved. I was told the owner obtained it for a project boat but has changed his mind. I was told that he traded for it and has very little invested which makes me think it would be on the cheap to obtain. Is an old 22' Schiada worth monetarily what it would take to bring this one back to life? When it's finished is it desirable enough that I could sell it in order to take on my next project?

aaronschiada

Reaction score
Pulling into a marina a couple of weeks ago with our 21RC V-Drive the shift cable broke with the boat in reverse. We manipulated the boat shifting by hand to an area in the marina where a mechanic installed a new one for us so our weekend wasn't ruined. I've since driven the boat one time and it steers slightly to the right, and if I take my hands off the steering wheel it slowly turns right. It seems as if left unattended it could accelerate the right turn as the wheel seems to increase speed as it turns. Any ideas how a steering problem could be linked such as tying it off with the shift cable? I haven't gotten back to the boat to look it over but would like to have a plan of action in my mind. I don't want to return to the shop, or accuse them of anything, etc.. I just want to fix it. Had it been any less convienant by literally breaking in front of a repair shop I would have ordered a cable and changed it when we got home.

Regarding the V-Drive... The boat is an older RC and I don't know the make of the drive FWIW. My question is that when idling in either forward or reverse it sounds like gears are clanging around inside. If an airplane sounded like this I'd never fly.... Anyhow as soon as there is any load placed on the thing by adding even the slightest pressure on the throttle it quiets down. Letting off the throttle and it sounds terrible again. I've been told this is normal and this boat has sounded like this for decades. Now that it's mine I want to know if it's actually screaming for maintenance.

Third question.... I'd like a project. My last one was an airplane that I built in my garage. I've never taken on a boat project and came across an old 22' Schiada hull that is stripped of everything. It was originally a jet and the hull has holes where the drive was, etc... Overall the hull looks to be in good shape, but completely unloved. I was told the owner obtained it for a project boat but has changed his mind. I was told that he traded for it and has very little invested which makes me think it would be on the cheap to obtain. Is an old 22' Schiada worth monetarily what it would take to bring this one back to life? When it's finished is it desirable enough that I could sell it in order to take on my next project?

#1- Check to see if your steering cable, shift cable, and throttle cable have been zip tied together. Steering cables may move slightly when being cycled.

#2- it's either a c-500 or a slit case usually, but could be a champion. Are you running a TH400 or a velvet drive?

#3- What are your plans for it? Keep it a jet or go to v-drive? Either way, it's prob not worth throwing money at. The older 22's with the step down aren't usually a highly sought after rig, let alone with a jet.

jmeads

Reaction score
on your third question - 22 project. RUN from it. You will dump so much money into it you will never get it out.

wildhorse

Reaction score
Thanks.... I'll hit the zirk's with some grease. I suspect that the mechanic tied the steering cable off when he did the shift cable and will look it over when I get back to the boat. As for the 22' Schiada, well I'm running from it as fast as I can go. Thanks for the honest feedback on this. I was told that the current owner traded a water ski for it, but the boat looks much better than that. He should have held out for a pair of skis.