WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

ProjectCarreraRebuild

Mrs.Biff

Wifey Mama RiverHolic
Reaction score
So, as mentioned in my intro the hubby and I are attempting to restore a Carrera we picked up for $2500. It's an '87 Elite 20.5 open bow and had basically been left in a yard, uncovered and ignored :yikes to rot away for 3 years. The interior is completely destroyed, gel is badly oxidized, trailer is a mess, all 4 tires were rotted and airless and basically just a hull, 454 BBC and I/O. We thought what the hell, we'll give it a shot and see if we can at least get the thing to turn over and get it back on the water. For $2500, why not? It is a Carrera after all and doesn't deserve to be unloved. No boat does!!! Here's hoping we can get it back to at least usable condition! Attached pictures so you can see what we're working with...

So far I've had the carb rebuilt so that is getting put back on today. Old gas is being drained. And hopefully it'll turn over. Have interior lined up to be rebuilt and it will go in for color sanding at that same time. The goal is to be running/floating with a cold one in hand in 1-2 months. Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• IMG_1538.jpg
    IMG_1538.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1558.jpg
    IMG_1558.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1545.jpg
    IMG_1545.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1560.jpg
    IMG_1560.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 124

Mrs.Biff

Wifey Mama RiverHolic
Reaction score
I've never worked with teak and didn't want to spend hundreds more for new ones when I've researched and read that teak is a very good wood and can sometimes be restored...so I gave it a whirl. Got my hand sander, 120 grit sandpaper and teak oil and to my surprise they turned out beautifully!

Attachments

• IMG_1782.jpg
    IMG_1782.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 126

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
That is so sad to see what happened to that boat. Have always loved the classic lines of that model Carrera.

Awesome that you and your husband are going to give her the respect she deserves.

Mrs.Biff

Wifey Mama RiverHolic
Reaction score
That is so sad to see what happened to that boat. Have always loved the classic lines of that model Carrera.

Awesome that you and your husband are going to give her the respect she deserves.

Agreed. I was so sad when I saw what condition they let it get to ... but I'm hoping with some love, TLC and moola she'll be running up and down the river soon. Not going for perfection just reliance and a face lift and proper care!

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Nice work on the teak! A project like this takes the enthusiasm you guys have for it to see it through.

BTW, those colors look awfully familiar...:D

Good luck on following through and completing your project to the level you desire!

Mrs.Biff

Wifey Mama RiverHolic
Reaction score
Finally, we got the boat to turn over. 3 years of being untouched exposed to all of so Cal's weather and being flooded with water didn't stop this thing. After having the carb rebuilt, gas drained and replaced and whatever else hubby did the boat turned over on the second try, idled, no knocking etc. we were absolutely blown away. Tried to post a video but it wouldn't upload. Anywho today she goes in for all new interior and flooring and we'll get her back in 3-4 weeks. Gonna be a long month lol

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Hopefully change all the filters, engine oil, drive oil, check bellows,etc?
That's great news that it's running!
Cuious to see what you guys come up with for interior colors!