WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prop oxidized or someone trying to hide a prop repair job?

rsap

Reaction score
Picked up my Hallett 240 from getting annual service, launched at night, then had it out on the water and in a slip all weekend. After pulling it out of the water, I noticed my prop and lower half of the drive (from the bulb down) appear to have been painted. I was able to take my fingernail and scratch off what looks like fresh paint from the drive. I looked back at pictures from a month ago (before taking to the shop and when I just purchased it), and my prop was polished and shiny. I also noticed my top speed was mid 50's, when past trips would hit mid 60's. Depending on # passengers, amount of fuel, and water conditions, it's hard to tell if my top speed is different because of somehow the prop was damaged and repaired or just the conditions were different. It sucks because I don't want to accuse the shop of anything if I don't know for sure.. so here is my question:

1) Besides what looks like silver paint, when examined by hand, the prop shape doesn't seem to be visibly damaged. If damaged and repaired, I assume this can affect my top speed?
2) Is it possible that prior owner painted clear, and now with heat and running the boat, the clear is starting to oxidize?
3) Or are there any cases where a stainless steel prop would oxidize (lose it's shiny polished fininsh) from normal wear?

Again, I hate the accuse the shop of a cover up, but something just doesn't feel right.. any thoughts on this... I have a before pic, but didn't take after pic this weekend, now I am back in California. Will post before and after once I get some fresh pics.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Mineral deposits will make a prop look dull. After a trip in the water I always have to break out the lime away.

fishing fool

Reaction score
Have RD post a pic of his prop. Cavitation and prop slip will cause deposits on the prop.

rsap

Reaction score
Have RD post a pic of his prop. Cavitation and prop slip will cause deposits on the prop.

Thanks Fishing Fool! Might be on to something here... A few things that seemed insignificant, now might be making sense..

- When I first got the boat, seller said boat had bad fuel and was not running right.. so I took to a shop to be pumped out... test drove immediately after and seemed all good
- Also while at the shop, noticed prop needed to be tightened down, as it had a tiny amount of play front to back.. but after tightening I didn't think twice about it...
- Each time I have taken it out, I noticed a what felt like a sputter a few times... which I thought might have just been fuel...
- Last day out, I felt like it was taking longer time to plane.. but dismissed it thinking maybe it was just more weight in back
- Also on last day.. felt a sputter.. again i thought maybe it was fuel related or just low on fuel (I'm still not used to fuel gauge.. seems to always say tank is full)

Putting all of this together.. it does sound like potential slipping or cavitation... I won't be back out to the boat until the weekend, so I can get some more pics and check it out. Thanks again for feedback. If anyone else has feedback or pics, feel free to chime in or share pics.

Thanks

fishing fool

Reaction score
When I bought my boat it was empty, eliminator says it's a 40 gallon tank. When filling I stopped at 10 gallons and looked at the gauge, is was at 1/4. Added another 10 gallons checked every 10 gallons until full and the gauge was spot on.
My last boat read 3/4 when full. My ex brother in law had a magic deck boat with something like 80 gallons. He has 1/4 tank and ran out of gas. We added 5 gallons and it read 1/4 tank. Not good with that big of a tank.