WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

poppet valve question

Little Mr.C

Reaction score
Brought my dads boat home this week. 1976 CeeBee Avenger with a Merc black max 150 (not sure of the year but i want to say '89?? hopefully he will chime in to correct me if im wrong. ). Now it may not be the 25 daytona that i want but it will get me on the water and i cant ask for anything more because thats my happy place lol. Anyway long story short, get the boat home hook it up, run some water through it and we're leaking through what i assume to be the poppet valve. I spent the day searching and searching and cant find a clear answer. Is the poppet valve adjustable? When i pulled off the valve cover, i saw the screw underneath, i tried to back it off (it doesnt loosen)? does the whole poppet valve need to be replaced? or are we just crazy and never noticed the water leaking from it before?? The gauge does not show overheating while were running but is poppet valve constantly spitting out water (the higher the rpm the more water) or is this a t-stat issue or does the poppet valve need to be replaced? ive put (or tried to put) pics of the poppet valve and cover. IMG_7338.jpg IMG_7339.jpg IMG_7341.jpg

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
The first photo looks like the diaphragm (black rubber around the metal disc) has a tear in it .

That part should hold water (not leak) and when it gets enough water pressure behind it, the disc moves out and allows the cooling water pressure in the motor to stay at a safe level, not damaging and gaskets or other soft cooling system components .

Peal that rubber part off the block, this should allow you to pull the whole assembly out, and replace it . Make sure the spring is good too .

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
It's an 87 but close lol

Thanks AzGeo.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
That's the same poppet I have on my '86 Merc 200. Like AZ Geo said, just replace it. I believe they habe rebuild kits readily available for them.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
The first photo looks like the diaphragm (black rubber around the metal disc) has a tear in it .

That part should hold water (not leak) and when it gets enough water pressure behind it, the disc moves out and allows the cooling water pressure in the motor to stay at a safe level, not damaging and gaskets or other soft cooling system components .

Peal that rubber part off the block, this should allow you to pull the whole assembly out, and replace it . Make sure the spring is good too .

How much pressure should it take to pop it out. The rubber washer just peeled away ...but it seems like I'm putting a fair amount of force trying to pull the whole assembly out. Is that normal? Or just keep pulling til it pops out.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
The valve should move freely in the side of the case .

That little hole on the cover is to warn owners of the leak in that diaphragm .

It should reduce the water pressure to under 20 lbs, no matter what the RPMs are .

Usually they run under 15 lbs ..........

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
The valve itself as far as going in and out with the tension of the spring works good. I'm the the corrosion around the outer is hindering me. At least I got the old gas draining and the drive off with out any hassle IMG_1368.jpg
IMG_1370.jpg

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I also have never had a water pressure or temp issue. I just noticed the poppet spitting when I started it up.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Time to invest in a manual. I didn't realize there was a second plate that actual holds the valve in place. Doh[emoji33]. So simple when you know. Lol. Brand new 6 year old impeller just waiting to be replaced. Waiting on parts now. In my imperfect world might be getting her wet by next weekend.

So next question. Lmfao. Who is the steering guru. I've adjusted some to make it easier on the trailer but lag few times out it was a royal pain to turn left over 40. I can unhook the steering cables and the engine and steering turn very free. Hook up the steering and it's tougher then I think it should be. I'm assuming just keep adjusting until smooth and easy. Any tips or tricks ?

Thanks again all the input is so appreciated. IMG_1371.jpg IMG_1372.jpg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Time to invest in a manual. I didn't realize there was a second plate that actual holds the valve in place. Doh[emoji33]. So simple when you know. Lol. Brand new 6 year old impeller just waiting to be replaced. Waiting on parts now. In my imperfect world might be getting her wet by next weekend.

So next question. Lmfao. Who is the steering guru. I've adjusted some to make it easier on the trailer but lag few times out it was a royal pain to turn left over 40. I can unhook the steering cables and the engine and steering turn very free. Hook up the steering and it's tougher then I think it should be. I'm assuming just keep adjusting until smooth and easy. Any tips or tricks ?

Thanks again all the input is so appreciated. View attachment 569130 View attachment 569131
What kind of steering does it have? Hydraulic? Rack and pinion? Rotary? Single or dual cable? Brand of steering system? All that info it needed.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
What kind of steering does it have? Hydraulic? Rack and pinion? Rotary? Single or dual cable? Brand of steering system? All that info it needed.
Teleflex dual cable, rack, no feedback. have had the issue since installed 6-7 years ago then the boat sat.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Would there be any interest in old school gauges.
IMG_1379.jpg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Teleflex dual cable, rack, no feedback. have had the issue since installed 6-7 years ago then the boat sat.
I used to have teleflex nfb dual cable rack. It was a good bit stiffer than my current dual cable set-up that doesn't have the no feed back set-up. And the cables got rusted up a lot more frequently.
Would there be any interest in old school gauges.
View attachment 569290
If the tech went to 7 or 8 I'd be interested. Mine broke the other day. Now apparently I cruise at 40 mph and 6,200 rpm with my 26 chopper....

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Well here's where we ended up. New impeller New thermosts new plugs new throttle cable . Few trailer lights. 10 gallons of new gas and ran like a champ. I am so tempted to shoot for tomorrow but dread the thought of going out on a Sunday 4th of July weekend. Maybe going out about 4 for a little test run sunset cruise kind of deal.
IMG_1403.jpg IMG_1407.jpg IMG_1408.jpg IMG_1409.jpg IMG_1410.jpg

Little Mr.C

Reaction score
Well it actually happened. 6 years in storage. At home for less than a month, a couple hundred bucks and a few hours (and beers [emoji1303][emoji482]) worth of work and we're back on the water. She ran flawless. Couldn't be happier to be back on the water. Gotta love the smell of a good ol' 2 stroke!
[video=youtube_https;t8bX5AdJzXU]https://youtu.be/t8bX5AdJzXU[/video]
IMG_7393.jpg IMG_7396.jpg