WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trim Solenoid

neilbachman

Reaction score
2001 Shockwave Step Skier with 7.4 MPI and Bravo One. Last trip out, while cruising down from Topock, I noticed the boat was not trimming up. Pulled over and confirmed Trim would only go down and not up. Turn batteries off and double checked all connections and appeared nothing lose or blown fuse. Turned battery back on and Trim went up and down no problem. Is this a sign of a solenoid going out and should replace now or a potential other issue. The intermediate issue is what concerns me as the other threads on the issue seem to just go out and not be intermediate. Thanks for the help.

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
2001 Shockwave Step Skier with 7.4 MPI and Bravo One. Last trip out, while cruising down from Topock, I noticed the boat was not trimming up. Pulled over and confirmed Trim would only go down and not up. Turn batteries off and double checked all connections and appeared nothing lose or blown fuse. Turned battery back on and Trim went up and down no problem. Is this a sign of a solenoid going out and should replace now or a potential other issue. The intermediate issue is what concerns me as the other threads on the issue seem to just go out and not be intermediate. Thanks for the help.

Really hard to diagnose without testing it. I will say that the trim pump 10 gauge hot wire and ground are supposed to be connected directly to the battery, so turning the battery off and on shouldn't have an effect on it. Typically when it will go down and not up, it's the trim limit switch on the side of the gimbal ring. Next would be the UP solenoid. Then the trim switch at the helm.

neilbachman

Reaction score
Really hard to diagnose without testing it. I will say that the trim pump 10 gauge hot wire and ground are supposed to be connected directly to the battery, so turning the battery off and on shouldn't have an effect on it. Typically when it will go down and not up, it's the trim limit switch on the side of the gimbal ring. Next would be the UP solenoid. Then the trim switch at the helm.

So what would be the best way to go about testing the problem?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Had same engine package in my Ultra. Same issue. Tapped on solenoid and worked. I then cleaned all electric connections on trim pump and no issues since.

neilbachman

Reaction score
Had same engine package in my Ultra. Same issue. Tapped on solenoid and worked. I then cleaned all electric connections on trim pump and no issues since.

Ill give that a try. I did not have any issues the remaining day and a half after the issue. thanks for the reply.