Obnoxious Racing Engines and Racetech Pistons

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
IMG_7133.jpg IMG_7133.jpg

Satin valve covers courtesy of Barry.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I don't understand the blue anodized parts on motor. Ur boat ain't go no blue in it , shit don't match homie. [emoji4] [emoji202]

Outdrive1

Reaction score
I don't understand the blue anodized parts on motor. Ur boat ain't go no blue in it , shit don't match homie. [emoji4] [emoji202]

That's how it was built. Do I understand it? Fuck no. Lee and Stan rigged it though. So it is what it is. I'm not changing anything on it.

BamBam

Reaction score
That's how it was built. Do I understand it? Fuck no. Lee and Stan rigged it though. So it is what it is. I'm not changing anything on it.

I helped rig that boat. It's funny to see the motor plate. We set the motor and built our standard front motor plate. We sent that up to Faulkner and when it came back it came back with that one. It has rounded edges all the way around it and changed the way we finished some of our parts. I have pictures of when we launched that boat at Castaic, along with my boat and Randy Wilson's 21'. It was a really cool day we actually got permission to launch on the west side of the lake and we were the only three boats on the ramp. I'll see if I can dig up those pictures somewhere. I have to say I never understood the blue anodize on that boat either, but we built custom boats, built to order and that is what the customer wanted. Glad it will get use. I hope to see you out on the water this summer. I'll be there for a few weeks starting next Sunday.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
I helped rig that boat. It's funny to see the motor plate. We set the motor and built our standard front motor plate. We sent that up to Faulkner and when it came back it came back with that one. It has rounded edges all the way around it and changed the way we finished some of our parts. I have pictures of when we launched that boat at Castaic, along with my boat and Randy Wilson's 21'. It was a really cool day we actually got permission to launch on the west side of the lake and we were the only three boats on the ramp. I'll see if I can dig up those pictures somewhere. I have to say I never understood the blue anodize on that boat either, but we built custom boats, built to order and that is what the customer wanted. Glad it will get use. I hope to see you out on the water this summer. I'll be there for a few weeks starting next Sunday.

Any clue what gears are in mine? Just wondering. Lee can't remember. I need to try some 1 1/8 2 blades so I can buy one somewhere.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Any clue what gears are in mine? Just wondering. Lee can't remember. I need to try some 1 1/8 2 blades so I can buy one somewhere.

I know how to turn the shaft and get a pretty good idea of which gear.. 10 revolutions is more accurate than one if the prop shaft turns easy enough.

BamBam

Reaction score

I can't remember that either. Sorry. Barry is right about turning the shafts and getting close.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Primed the dry sump with a drill tonight. Hit 80psi after 20 quarts of oil. One more evening of rigging. She will be on the water Thursday night unless I find something else I need to change. I'm glad the project is almost over.

I think I'm down to headers and the starter besides wiping everything down before I put the headers on. I fucked the starter up myself. I had it in a tub and had my truck washed. When I pulled it out of the tub it was sitting in an inch of water. [emoji51]Needless to say I'm waiting on a starter. Lol.

IMG_7184.jpg

Got the new oil filter head mounted.

And the alternator was the last thing to get mounted to the block.

IMG_7185.jpg

RaceTec

Reaction score
Paul, are you going to be in Parker this weekend?
I have a delivery...
20170719_074527.jpg

Outdrive1

Reaction score
I will Jeremy. Hopefully I'll be testing this weekend too.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
IMG_3953.jpg

Well I thought I was done. I was snugging up the carb and the stud came loose in the manifold. [emoji51] It will literally take ten minutes to drill it and put a helicoil in it. I'm still on target to set timing and break in the rings tonight.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Well I thought I was done. I was snugging up the carb and the stud came loose in the manifold. [emoji51] It will literally take ten minutes to drill it and put a helicoil in it. I'm still on target to set timing and break in the rings tonight.

I hate when that happens.

Easy fix though.

Next time get a look at those threads and do it while the rest of the parts are out. ;)

28Eliminator

Reaction score
View attachment 575308

We will of course expect video [emoji6][emoji106]

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Next time get a look at those threads and do it while the rest of the parts are out. ;)

There should have been no issue on this particular engine that was said to have "20 hours" on it, and the studs were not removed when I took the carb off to place the intake on the engine. I left the carb off to make it easier to strap the engine and drop it in the boat. Should have been no reason to pull the studs.

RaceTec

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing it pull up to Sundance or Foxes this weekend!

milkmoney

Reaction score
Looking good. Although I am schocked ur leaving the piping on the interior , there are a lot of news for you with this sled [emoji202]

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Looking good. Although I am schocked ur leaving the piping on the interior , there are a lot of news for you with this sled [emoji202]

I love the interior. I love the black piping too.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
How did it run today?

It ran great. Valve cover gaskets were leaking. Gotta take the exhaust off to change them. I think the bolts are bottomed out. It made a mess. But it is what it is. Getting closer. I also have 80 to 100lbs of oil pressure. I may need to make some changes there too. We have a couple things to sort out. I gotta research how you can change the pressure with this pump.

BamBam

Reaction score
It ran great. Valve cover gaskets were leaking. Gotta take the exhaust off to change them. I think the bolts are bottomed out. It made a mess. But it is what it is. Getting closer. I also have 80 to 100lbs of oil pressure. I may need to make some changes there too. We have a couple things to sort out. I gotta research how you can change the pressure with this pump.

I know Barry hooked you up with his clean valve covers but you may want to invest in a two piece cover for that motor if you have to pull the exhaust every time you need to pull the valve covers. As I understand it, one of the issues with running the "Big Chief" Pontiac heads was valve geometry and really long push rods all of which mean you need to stay on top of the lash adjustments. That would be very hard to do if you're always having to pull those huge manifolds off each time. Just a thought. I'll try to find you when I'm out there. Glad it ran well.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
How's this coming along, any progress?

I was in Florida and just haven't had time to touch it. Maybe this weekend or early next week I can get back on it. It's getting color sanded and buffed this week so it's a disaster and the interior is all covered with plastic.

Hammer

Reaction score
I was in Florida and just haven't had time to touch it. Maybe this weekend or early next week I can get back on it. It's getting color sanded and buffed this week so it's a disaster and the interior is all covered with plastic.

You have problems.... It did not NEED a Color sand. :rolleyes

28skater

Reaction score
Don't remind me. I know. I'm friends with DeCamp too. I would have bought it. I could have bought coin toss too. Or Joe's red twin turbo with the custom hatch. I fucking hate boats. Lol.

Outboards make life much easier!

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Ok. Had a couple issues that we think we solved. I broke a rocker last time we fired it up at about 3500 rpm. So I took them all off. Barry sent them back to Jessel to inspect. I ended up having them take the shaft out of them and put them in new bodies. They think if they've ever been over torqued when setting the valve lash it starts a chain reaction that ends up cracking the tips. Who knows how they've been adjusted over their life so I opted to just replace them all and start fresh. Finally got it all back together and valves set this week. Barry and I pulled a couple of late nights after work getting it done. We also took the intake off and resealed it. It has spacers to fit the block. It's a real pain to get it all lined up and sealed properly and we had a very small oil leak last time. So we wanted to go through it and use a different silicon similar to "The Right Stuff" to see if we could get it a little better. I figured while we were waiting for the rockers we might as well.

Hopefully after work today I'll have it running and we can set the timing again and run it. I think we've got all the bugs worked out finally. Hopefully. [emoji51][emoji51]

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Could you post a picture of the broken rocker?

We actually had two break, one the first weekend he had it before we tore the engine down, and one after, both exhaust, both in the same exact area. I called on one of my boat drag buddies that runs the Big Chief heads and Jesel rockers for advice, and he explained how he used to break them before he bought the special Jesel torque wrench. Combine the fact that they were the older design, and prior to our touching them, we had no idea what kind of abuse they may have been subjected to, even though the engine was touted as "very low hours".

Paul does have the two broken ones, I was going to suggest he might want to post a photo. I am absolutely certain we didn't over tighten, even though I had Paul adjust the valves so he would know how, the big issue was when we loosened the adjusters, they were way tight! When the 2nd one broke, I set my small torque wrench at an arbitrary 16 ft lbs to check "breakaway" on the adjusters, which are supposed to be at 25 ft lbs. None of them took more than 16 to break free. Someone in their past was mean to them!

renodaytona

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see where the break/crack initiated. Unless its an optical illusion caused by the shot peening, it looks as if the radius was increased in that lower pocket area in the newer version. Obviously torque played a role and anyone running these older style may want to look into doing some dye penetrant testing to see if theirs are cracked before reinstalling them during a rebuild.