WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2003 Duramax 2500HD Fuel Sending Unit

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
My fuel guage is showing empty with the light on. Yes the tank is full[emoji6] I'm guessing its the fuel sending unit and I'll have to drop the tank. Anyway to test the sending unit before I drop it? Any tips on dropping it? Any info? Thanks in addvance

Maestro

Reaction score
In the shop I would disconnect the sending unit and connect a known good one. When you sweep the unit the gauge would sweep. This tells you your gauge is good and you have a bad level unit.

robby dmax

Reaction score
Has the cluster every been repaired?
I would also check like the post above says.
Cheaper and easier to send the cluster out and have all the stepper motors changed out as they go bad.
I have used a guy Dr speedometer great service fast turnaround.

NicPaus

Reaction score
My oil pressure gauge has been pegged at 60 for a year. Recently dropping to 0 and bouncing back to 60. The low oil pressure alarm comes on. Could it be a stepper motor in cluster with the truck also giving low pressure alarm? Figured just stepper motor in cluster as common with Chevy.

Maestro

Reaction score
Most likely oil pressure sensor. check the wiring also check for contamination on wire contact. On some vehicles the wire rubs through then short out intermittently.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Has the cluster every been repaired?
I would also check like the post above says.
Cheaper and easier to send the cluster out and have all the stepper motors changed out as they go bad.
I have used a guy Dr speedometer great service fast turnaround.

Actually the whole guage cluster was changed out a few years ago under warranty. I guess one of them could go out. It's just the fuel gauge.

robby dmax

Reaction score
Actually the whole guage cluster was changed out a few years ago under warranty. I guess one of them could go out. It's just the fuel gauge.

I just had my cluster repaired that was replaced a few years ago under warranty.

LBZRCKS

Reaction score
My fuel guage is showing empty with the light on. Yes the tank is full[emoji6] I'm guessing its the fuel sending unit and I'll have to drop the tank. Anyway to test the sending unit before I drop it? Any tips on dropping it? Any info? Thanks in addvance

If the light turns on and the gauge also goes empty, I'm willing to bet it isn't the cluster and is the actual sending unit. It's getting a faulty signal. I've had one go bad on one of my Duramax's. Sometimes it's easier to just remove the (6) bolts for the bed and slide it back to access the sender from the top rather than drop the tank imo.

My oil pressure gauge has been pegged at 60 for a year. Recently dropping to 0 and bouncing back to 60. The low oil pressure alarm comes on. Could it be a stepper motor in cluster with the truck also giving low pressure alarm? Figured just stepper motor in cluster as common with Chevy.

Probably a faulty sensor too, I don't think a faulty stepper motor would trigger the pressure alarm.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
So I took care of this last weekend. I opted to pull the bed, glad I did. Eight easy bolts, fuel filler neck and taillight harness unplugged. Just had to slip the bed back about 18". Did what Scapegoat suggested and plugged the new one in and the gauge worked so swapped out the sending unit. About a 2 and a half hour job start to finish. Thanks for the help.[emoji106]