WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Manufacturing jobs in America: They're not coming back

jet496

Reaction score
I just read this article on CBSNEWS.com. There is not one mention of how the unions & liberal politicians have made it impossible to manufacture anything here to meet the cheap expectations of the average consumer.

The unions have fucked America. Thank you boys. I wish they would fail, but they have their dicks so far up our governments ass, they will always be around & profit. Sucks!

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
You talking about this article.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/manufacturing-jobs-erie-pennsylvania-redefining-hope/

Manufacturing has been shrinking in this country since the late 1970s, when the number of manufacturing jobs peaked at 19 million. Counted as a share of the labor force, though, manufacturing jobs have been on the decline since 1953. That year, 26 percent of people in the labor force had a manufacturing job; today, the share is 8 percent.

jet496

Reaction score
That's the one. They blame it on automation, but what I see & they even mention, is that the plants are moving to other countries. They still require workers to operate all that shit, just different type of skills. The unions got greedy & now we're paying the price. Government unions are the worse.

Just sayin".

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
That's the one. They blame it on automation, but what I see & they even mention, is that the plants are moving to other countries. They still require workers to operate all that shit, just different type of skills. The unions got greedy & now we're paying the price. Government unions are the worse.

Just sayin".

I know all about the UAW. My dad worked at the GM plant in South Gate for 35 years until it closed on 3/23/82. The decline was soon to follow.

Glad I'm in a private union. :thumbsup

Just sayin!!!

Nokomis

Nobody
Reaction score

Just sayin".

I'm a fan of private sector trade unions. They do a great job of training high skilled tradesmen that are in a high demand here in Wisconsin. Large corporations would have a hard time keeping a pool of available workers for line changes and build outs without them. Large public sector projects like highway and bridge construction that utilize union trades and union operators would be impossible without them.

Government unions are a completely different animal and there are a multitude of reasons why they should not exist. Bus and train operator shutdowns and teacher walkouts are a couple examples.

My $.02

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Wasn't that what turned a lot of peeps off on Reagan? A little before my adulthood. I seem to recall him firing all the air traffic peeps or something like that.

I'm a fan of private sector trade unions. They do a great job of training high skilled tradesmen that are in a high demand here in Wisconsin. Large corporations would have a hard time keeping a pool of available workers for line changes and build outs without them. Large public sector projects like highway and bridge construction that utilize union trades and union operators would be impossible without them.

Government unions are a completely different animal and there are a multitude of reasons why they should not exist. Bus and train operator shutdowns and teacher walkouts are a couple examples.

My $.02

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Wasn't that what turned a lot of peeps off on Reagan? A little before my adulthood. I seem to recall him firing all the air traffic peeps or something like that.

Gave them an ultimatum as I recall.

jet496

Reaction score

My $.02

Agreed. The Carpenters Union her in San Diego is hands down the best training program I've seen. It's the damn government unions.

PS: I'm good if a cop gets a quarter million a year in pension. They are heroes, same with our under paid military.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Yep I got stuck in Chicago when he did it they canceled jlots of flights those days right after.

530RL

Reaction score
I thought Trump would fix all of this in his first 100 days? :headscratch::headscratch::headscratch:

He said he would.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
I know all about the UAW. My dad worked at the GM plant in South Gate for 35 years until it closed on 3/23/82. The decline was soon to follow.

Just sayin!!!

From my interaction with the Van Nuys assembly plant, being loaned out (from the Proving Grounds lab) as a 'troubleshooter', on numerous occasions, I can tell you that "the union protected the F-ups" and relied on the real workers to produce the product .

IMO, the decline began way before 1979 (in Van Nuys), and was well on it's way to total kaos before the 1982 Camaro/Firebird "quarter panel glue" fiasco .

But, since you know "all about the UAW', well then I guess everything I went thru was all wrong again ................

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score

Just sayin!!!

Pension Time Bomb: $31 Billion Shortfall... And Rising

At 31 Biilion, GE?s pension shortfall is the biggest among S&P 500 companies and 50 percent greater than any other corporation in the U.S. It?s a deficit that has swelled in recent years as Immelt spent more than $45 billion on share buybacks to win over Wall Street.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-06-20/ges-pension-time-bomb-31-billion-shortfall-and-rising

Let me see, where have I heard that name Immelt before? :hmm Oh yeah that's right, he was the dip shit's economic guru!! :rotflmao:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
People.need to realize that post WWII was an economic anomaly. The reason manufacturing started to decline in the 50s had very little to do with unions and very much to do with infrasturcture being rebuilt (or built) in other parts of the world.

So blame whoever you want, but it is way more complicated than "unions".

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
The problems arise when someone has to pay for that quarter mil per year, for decades after a person stops working.

Unrealistic pensions being used as perks to get contracts signed is the root issue when the time comes to pay up. Poor management of the funding allowed slippage that could never be overcome.

We've only just seen the tip of the public worker pension disaster iceberg and it's got Titanic written all over it.:yikes

These failures are on the same script with our politicians that rely on taxes produced from sources they simultaneously work to reduce or outright eliminate. They tax gasoline and then try and reduce it's use, never allowing for the decrease in tax dollars. Sin taxes are the most ridiculous. They tax cigarettes and then try and destroy the tobacco industry. But they found out they could easily pass these sin taxes and now do the same with environmental taxes and carbon credit nonsense. Grab a source, bleed it dry, and move on to the next scam.

The public is their own worst enemy buying into these bullshit plans that are doomed to fail. We've elected and funded those who will kill all the Golden Geese.....The facts are clear and present for all to see from a historical standpoint no less.

The motto should WUNA. "Wake Up Now America"

530RL

Reaction score
:rotflmao:

Get on the coat tails two-face, we'll show you how to win!!!

6-0 :finger

Yeah you are winning all right, winning like a dog who catches a car..........now what are you going to do? Have an investigation of Lynch? Tweet? Build a 100 foot wall? Sign your first budget with greater deficits than the preceding budget? :rotflmao:

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
From my interaction with the Van Nuys assembly plant, being loaned out (from the Proving Grounds lab) as a 'troubleshooter', on numerous occasions, I can tell you that "the union protected the F-ups" and relied on the real workers to produce the product .

IMO, the decline began way before 1979 (in Van Nuys), and was well on it's way to total kaos before the 1982 Camaro/Firebird "quarter panel glue" fiasco .

But, since you know "all about the UAW', well then I guess everything I went thru was all wrong again ................

Not saying your wrong again on this subject. Just saying I lived thru some of my dads employment at GM thru his 35 years and years after as a UAW Financial Secretary. I proudly hang a plague on my office wall that the UAW honored him at a luncheon with his fellow retirees from Local 216 on 12/6/05 for his hard work and dedication to the UAW since 1946. So yea, I do know "all about the UAW". :finger

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Yeah you are winning all right, winning like a dog who catches a car..........now what are you going to do? Have an investigation of Lynch? Tweet? Build a 100 foot wall? Sign your first budget with greater deficits than the preceding budget? :rotflmao:

I see you're still hurting RINO. :thumbsdown

Hang on to those tails, there will be plenty of opportunities to show that two-face of yours!! :rotflmao:

WINNING!!!!!!