WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Kings River Flooding

oldschool

Reaction score
Water has been going over the spillway at Pine Flat for a few days now. Most, if not all, the camp grounds on the Kings are flooding. River is still closed. DJI_0011.jpg the picture is of Riverland, just off the 99

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Are they still getting a ton of rain or is this run off and snow melt?

Meaney77

Reaction score
Water has been going over the spillway at Pine Flat for a few days now. Most, if not all, the camp grounds on the Kings are flooding. River is still closed. View attachment 568856 the picture is of Riverland, just off the 99

Crazy, I remember passing over this last year on the way to Shaver and it was dry as a bone. When I saw it- it was hard to explain to my wife that people camp and boat along that river.

Rotten deal

Reaction score
Snow pac is melting 3 to 5 inches a day for me report I heard this morning.

RACER J

Reaction score
Snow melt. I was told the Sierras got snow just a couple weeks ago. Plenty more water coming from it too.
Yep. We camped at big meadows last weekend and it was pretty warm up there. I'm sure there's gonna be more water coming down this week.

renodaytona

Reaction score
Yep snow melt. We had snow up on top 2 weeks ago and now we are in the 90's. It will be 100 today in Reno, snow is melting quick and lots of preparations for flooding projected, Carson River and Walker River up here. The Truckee river has been raging since January.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I was just boating at Pine Flat on Sunday. It wasn't over the spillway at that time and % of capacity was 93%. It's up to 96.9% now. Army Corp blew this. They've only had since February to dump water without creating a flooding situation. When you have nearly 200% of normal in the watershed I would figure you don't release water at a normal rate going into summer. Just like Oroville, this flooding didn't need to happen. :thumbsdown

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
Snow melt. I was told the Sierras got snow just a couple weeks ago. Plenty more water coming from it too.

We were up in the Twin Lakes / Bridgeport area from June 1st through the 10th. Sunday the 10th it started snowing on us, then was dumping snow from June Lake through Mammoth. Mammoth had to have gotten 6-8" of fresh snow :eek almost two weeks into June. It was crazy.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
We were supposed to be there this wee on Vacation but obviously its closed. This issue continues to happen every year we have heavy snow and the folks trying to run business down stream are getting killed. Little to no communication on planning for these folks and they have historical data showing what will be happening but they keep holding off and causing havoc down stream. We are hopefully going to move to move a next July trip to late August and possibly get some river time but my inconvenience is nothing compared to the people getting their livelihoods flooded year after year.

oldschool

Reaction score
I was just boating at Pine Flat on Sunday. It wasn't over the spillway at that time and % of capacity was 93%. It's up to 96.9% now. Army Corp blew this. They've only had since February to dump water without creating a flooding situation. When you have nearly 200% of normal in the watershed I would figure you don't release water at a normal rate going into summer. Just like Oroville, this flooding didn't need to happen. :thumbsdown

I must have got some bad info, because like you said its at 96%. I wonder if it's been to 100% then dropped? I agree with you, the lake level should have been a lot lower before the snow started to melt.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I must have got some bad info, because like you said its at 96%. I wonder if it's been to 100% then dropped? I agree with you, the lake level should have been a lot lower before the snow started to melt.
They probably meant that the spillway is opened up a lot so it looks like it's 100%?

oldschool

Reaction score
They probably meant that the spillway is opened up a lot so it looks like it's 100%?

Could be, the guy that told me isn't very smart. I do believe the inflow is greater than the out flow at this point, which means it will get full.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score

I didn't want to come out and say your info was wrong, because honestly I don't know when the top spillway starts to flow water. :thumbup: From what I saw Sunday, the lake hasn't been to 100% yet this year. Launch ramp parking is constrained, but the lake was perfect conditions. At the current net inflow each day, I'd have to believe the spillway will be in use within a week. It appears all the canals fed by Pine Flat are full and Kings River is flooding downstream. So, Kings River is the only viable option to dump additional water into, which will worsen the flooding situation. Then, add uncontrolled spillway to the mix. Feel bad for the people affected downstream.

I think it was summer 2011 when the boating portion (which includes Riverland in oldschool's posted pic) of Kings River below Pine Flat was closed Memorial Day to Labor Day (only time of year it's normally open for boating). Summer 2006 was high flows down Kings River as well. A lot of DRY years in between too. I'd be surprised if Kings was open at all this year. It's flat closed right now for all recreation purposes.

oldschool

Reaction score
I didn't want to come out and say your info was wrong, because honestly I don't know when the top spillway starts to flow water. :thumbup: From what I saw Sunday, the lake hasn't been to 100% yet this year. Launch ramp parking is constrained, but the lake was perfect conditions. At the current net inflow each day, I'd have to believe the spillway will be in use within a week. It appears all the canals fed by Pine Flat are full and Kings River is flooding downstream. So, Kings River is the only viable option to dump additional water into, which will worsen the flooding situation. Then, add uncontrolled spillway to the mix. Feel bad for the people affected downstream.

I think it was summer 2011 when the boating portion (which includes Riverland in oldschool's posted pic) of Kings River below Pine Flat was closed Memorial Day to Labor Day (only time of year it's normally open for boating). Summer 2006 was high flows down Kings River as well. A lot of DRY years in between too. I'd be surprised if Kings was open at all this year. It's flat closed right now for all recreation purposes.

No worries, I was up there last week and thought the lake was still below full. I believe water can go over the spillway before the lake is 100% full, there is just more going over when it is at 100%(if that makes sense).
How was the debris in the lake?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So no more mile long launch ramp?

That's great that it's almost full. Hope the down river damage is minimal.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Looking forward to our trip to Yosemite over Labor Day. Hoping to see plenty of waterfalls.

termiteguy

Reaction score
So does this mean my water bill should go down now that the drought is over.:grumble: I kinda don'tthink it will fing crooks :grumble:

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
So no more mile long launch ramp?

That's great that it's almost full. Hope the down river damage is minimal.

lol. Yep, no more mile long launch ramp. Launch ramps are way short now. This weekend you might have to launch from the road to the ramp :skull

oldschool, looks like you were right on the water over the spillway. A video posted yesterday on ABC30 showed water coming down the top spillway (appears there is some sort of gates to control flow?). The crest of the dam is 970 ft., but the spillway is active before lake elevation of 970ft. Currently nearly 950 ft. lake elevation.

We launch at Island Park Sunday and the debris pretty bad in the ramp area and no wake zone. There were pieces floating in the lake, so definitely had to keep an eye out while driving or waterskiing. The ever present sea doo buzzing through no wake zone was fun to deal with too.:thumbsdown

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
lol. Yep, no more mile long launch ramp. Launch ramps are way short now. This weekend you might have to launch from the road to the ramp :skull

oldschool, looks like you were right on the water over the spillway. A video posted yesterday on ABC30 showed water coming down the top spillway (appears there is some sort of gates to control flow?). The crest of the dam is 970 ft., but the spillway is active before lake elevation of 970ft. Currently nearly 950 ft. lake elevation.

We launch at Island Park Sunday and the debris pretty bad in the ramp area and no wake zone. There were pieces floating in the lake, so definitely had to keep an eye out while driving or waterskiing. The ever present sea doo buzzing through no wake zone was fun to deal with too.:thumbsdown
I love Pine Flat. We used to go there back before we had kids. Throw the tent in the boat and head out.

I've never seen glass like I've seen at that lake. I went down Hard skiing there one day, pushing the limits way too far.

I was maybe six feet under water, with my vest still on, looking up thinking this was the end! LoL

I think we were the only ones on the lake that day. Good times! [emoji12]

Post some pics if you have any. Thanks. 👍

oldschool

Reaction score
I love Pine Flat. We used to go there back before we had kids. Throw the tent in the boat and head out.

I've never seen glass like I've seen at that lake. I went down Hard skiing there one day, pushing the limits way too far.

I was maybe six feet under water, with my vest still on, looking up thinking this was the end! LoL

Post some pics if you have any. Thanks. 

Waters so smooth it gets dusty.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
We needed to get away for a few hours and took the boat up to Bullards Sunday.
I did not take any pics, head wasn't into it, sorry.
I can say this...in 30 plus years of being on that lake I have never seen it like this in mid June. It is 99% capacity and rising. So much crap in the lake that anything beyond wakeless speed is is asking for it. We visited some friends on their houseboat and the scuttlebutt they heard from the marina operator is that fish and game or some such .gov is telling them to hold back as much as possible as the river system is moving so much water downstream fish are suffering, or habitat is being destroyed.
So looking at the cdec website it will start spilling in about 3 days.
At that point it is game over, the dam downstream is at max as well.
The Yuba watershed still has a ton of snowmelt come down. It is 96* on my deck right now headed to 105ish.
That water is a comin', and soon there won't be a thing we can do to stop it.
My prediction is that we won't see the debris clean up til mid July, and no beaches popping up until August.

oldschool

Reaction score
We needed to get away for a few hours and took the boat up to Bullards Sunday.
I did not take any pics, head wasn't into it, sorry.
I can say this...in 30 plus years of being on that lake I have never seen it like this in mid June. It is 99% capacity and rising. So much crap in the lake that anything beyond wakeless speed is is asking for it. We visited some friends on their houseboat and the scuttlebutt they heard from the marina operator is that fish and game or some such .gov is telling them to hold back as much as possible as the river system is moving so much water downstream fish are suffering, or habitat is being destroyed.
So looking at the cdec website it will start spilling in about 3 days.
At that point it is game over, the dam downstream is at max as well.
The Yuba watershed still has a ton of snowmelt come down. It is 96* on my deck right now headed to 105ish.
That water is a comin', and soon there won't be a thing we can do to stop it.
My prediction is that we won't see the debris clean up til mid July, and no beaches popping up until August.

Be careful what we wish for. All the California lakes are full, but debris is an issue. We are going to Don Pedro next week, I'm hoping its not too bad(debris wise).

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score

Post some pics if you have any. Thanks. 

Where did you tent camp along Pine Flat? I've driven Trimmer Springs Rd. to back of lake a few times. Fun drive. It was super nice to boat quite a ways to back of lake in my '71 Sanger flat and just float. Peaceful. The sking was great as you've said.

I think my wife only took a pic of dam from water. I'll see what she has and post later today. Hoping to at least drive up to lake this weekend. Will take some pics.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Where did you tent camp along Pine Flat? I've driven Trimmer Springs Rd. to back of lake a few times. Fun drive. It was super nice to boat quite a ways to back of lake in my '71 Sanger flat and just float. Peaceful. The sking was great as you've said.

I think my wife only took a pic of dam from water. I'll see what she has and post later today. Hoping to at least drive up to lake this weekend. Will take some pics.
Oh man...

That was a long time ago! It was the only camp ground up there at that time. It was first come first serve, so we usually left first thing Thursday morning.

I remember it being above the lake, cause the good spots had nice views of the lake.

I don't remember it being all that far from the launch ramp. Down river I think just a bit.

Probably close to fourty years ago now. Shesh!

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Crazy, I remember passing over this last year on the way to Shaver and it was dry as a bone. When I saw it- it was hard to explain to my wife that people camp and boat along that river.

I saw the same thing. I used to go up there years ago. When I saw river land it looked like glass sand dunes last year.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
So, if Ol' Moonbeam was using the money for infrastructure repairs and maintenance instead of giving it to illegals and furthering their agenda we wouldn't be in this problem?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Looking forward to our trip to Yosemite over Labor Day. Hoping to see plenty of waterfalls.

I was told the Merced river is closed. Lol. Supposed ly its moving so fast they dont want anyone in it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I was told the Merced river is closed. Lol. Supposed ly its moving so fast they dont want anyone in it.
Well....

Since the river runs through the middle of the park, it would be impossible to close off access to it.

But at this point a lot of the park is closed for various reasons.

The snow plows coming from the east and the west just met up on Tioga Pass this past weekend!

Might be a month or so till that road is open for traffic.

Hard to believe with the weather we are having down here.

The falls in Yosemite Valley are Raging.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Pine Flat has topped 950ft elevation (dam crest is 970 - which is above the center upper spillway gates). Storage is now 993,507 with max of 1,000,000. Outflow of 14,900cfs and inflow of 17768. http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?PNF

It hasn't been this high since July of 2011. Before that, the available data plot shows never this high. Going to drive up for some pictures this weekend. Hopefully the snow melt will slow, otherwise, flooding is about to get much worse.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Pine Flat has topped 950ft elevation (dam crest is 970 - which is above the center upper spillway gates). Storage is now 993,507 with max of 1,000,000. Outflow of 14,900cfs and inflow of 17768. http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?PNF

It hasn't been this high since July of 2011. Before that, the available data plot shows never this high. Going to drive up for some pictures this weekend. Hopefully the snow melt will slow, otherwise, flooding is about to get much worse.
According the to pine flats damn Wikipedia page the spillway elevation is 951.5'. 970 is the TOP of the dam. At least according to the Wikipedia page.

Wbinder

Reaction score
Who here is from the Central Valley Tulare county, Fresno county area? We should all have a get together on the Kings river when it opens. Don't forget the Flatbottom boogie is still supposedly on for July 15

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Well....

Since the river runs through the middle of the park, it would be impossible to close off access to it.

But at this point a lot of the park is closed for various reasons.

The snow plows coming from the east and the west just met up on Tioga Pass this past weekend!

Might be a month or so till that road is open for traffic.

Hard to believe with the weather we are having down here.

The falls in Yosemite Valley are Raging.

Well... I would have to say its " more closed" than Parker, hence the lol.

poundsand

Reaction score
my best friend lives on the golf course in kingsburg... golf course is under water and houses getting flooded as we speak, not a good deal im pretty sure the flatbottom thing will be postponed until next year...the gun club is also flooded

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Took one of my daughters for a sight-seeing tour of Pine Flat via road. Drove close to but not quite to Trimmer launch (which I call the fourth launch). The lake was 99.5% of capacity. Saw some flooding downstream, but difficult to get a good pic. Anyway, the pics:

Pine Flat Dam
IMG_3461.jpg

looking down river from dam
IMG_3468.jpg

Deer Park launch (permanent toilets and pay station underwater)
IMG_3477.jpg

Island Park launch (underwater, as well as permanent toilets)
IMG_3481.jpg

Lakeview launch
IMG_3499.jpg

view of east side of main body
IMG_3488.jpg

view towards Trimmer launch/recreation area
IMG_3501.jpg

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
So if it's not to 100% capacity, why are there permanent structures under water? I'm thinking someone will be getting a talking to over that.