WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

THE LAKE TAHOE THREAD

BE454

Reaction score
2017083095071023951504103103037.jpg Good morning from Lake Tahoe.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Grads and Other Tahoe Peeps- Do you guys know anything about RV Campgrounds up there? Where to camp, a place big enough for a 40' MH. I have looked online and a few RV sites but hard to find any info from the blue hairs that post on those sites. Would like to do a trip up there this year before the seasons change but not sure where to stay.

We're staying here the 5th-7th: http://www.cityofslt.us/index.aspx?NID=270

We have a 37' and my parents have a 40'. We haven't stayed here before but have driven by it a few times. Within walking distance of the lake. :thumbup:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I took some of my customers out surfing. My customer's 10 year old boy getting in a surf session. I had to dial down my wave to the minimum for this little guy. I may have still swamped a jet boat four miles away ;)

Got to love the color of Tahoe water, albeit it's always too cold for me.

36525327670_c2992416b3_z.jpg

renodaytona

Reaction score
Saw a report of 4 inches of snow up at Kirkwood end of last week. Calling for rain and possible snow showers up at Tahoe this weekend.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Saw a report of 4 inches of snow up at Kirkwood end of last week. Calling for rain and possible snow showers up at Tahoe this weekend.

Ugh, I'm definitely not ready for winter. Headed to Vegas for the weekend to catch up on more rays and sit by the pool!

Oilman

Reaction score
Ugh It's going to be full blown winter by the time I get back to town.

PaPaG

Reaction score
Getting COLD very fast. I wonder if we are going to have another WINTER like last season......supposed to be under 30 degrees with some rain this weekend we are supposed to go up for another trip will post some pics...

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
first time looking at this thread - Thanks Grads for starting it. What a beautiful place. Never spent much time there. Just a night or two after a Rubicon run, then off to home. Might have to change up trips...

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
So school me....
If you were to plan the ultimate week in Tahoe....what would your itinerary be? Where would you stay, eat, boat, etc. and what’s the best time of year?

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
So school me....
If you were to plan the ultimate week in Tahoe....what would your itinerary be? Where would you stay, eat, boat, etc. and what’s the best time of year?

I have a lot of great memories at Zephyr Cove. You can camp, RV, or rent a cabin. We rented cabins a few times, and loved it. So close to the water, with a bar, food etc.

As far as the time of the year, you never know. It snowed on the 4th of July one year when I lived up that way. You can VRBO cabins all over the place, but i always loved how close you could be to the water at Zephyr. If you are dragging a boat, you used to be able to anchor just off the beach. I would say, mid to late July, through August if you want to be on the water.

https://www.zephyrcove.com/lodging/zephyr-cove-lodging-experience/

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I have a lot of great memories at Zephyr Cove. You can camp, RV, or rent a cabin. We rented cabins a few times, and loved it. So close to the water, with a bar, food etc.

As far as the time of the year, you never know. It snowed on the 4th of July one year when I lived up that way. You can VRBO cabins all over the place, but i always loved how close you could be to the water at Zephyr. If you are dragging a boat, you used to be able to anchor just off the beach. I would say, mid to late July, through August if you want to be on the water.

Awesome thanks for the tips! Am I correct in remembering you are not allowed to Beach your boat in Tahoe?

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
So school me....
It depends on what you're interested in doing. If it's going to be a boating vacation, staying in the Keys is a must.

Dalton

Reaction score
does the water ever warm up?

Meaney77

Reaction score

Good to know, we booked a week at Zephyr RV park over 4th of July and cant wait. Bringing my boat home from Havasu after Memorial day and towing it north bound and down, cant wait! Love seeing these pictures.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
My great grandfather on my dads side did quite well as an engineer during his career. He held many patents in the sewage treatment industry and railroad industry. He loved the mountains and the desert. When he retired young in his early 50s he bought a winter home in Palm Springs and he built a mountain home in Incline Village on Pine Cone Circle in 1950. The house sat on nearly an acre of land with a modest 1200 sgft house on it next to a creek that during some summers had water running in it. The house was a short 100 yard walk to the private beach that you accessed from a gate. Once through the gate you stood before a big sandy beach overlooking Crystal Bay where adventure began over and over and over again.

My dad spent countless summers there as a kid with his parents, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles. It was a gathering place for the entire family as you can imagine. When my dad started his family with my mom and my three sisters and I came along we were up at the Tahoe house (that’s what we called it) every summer and some winters. It’s where my sisters and I learned to ski when I was 5 years old. I took ski lessons at Ski Incline and Mount Rose. Little did I know at that young age what it really meant to have access to this slice of heaven. Anyone who has been to the north end of Lake Tahoe knows what I’m talking about. I hiked around that lake, I explored in canoes and small power boats. We fished and set crawdad traps. We jumped off the end of our pier hundreds of times. We used to canoe from our beach over to Sand Harbor and jump off the rocks. We spent several Christmas’s there. It was a magical time in my youth.

My great grandmother and grandfather passed away in the late 70s and the house was left to my grandmother and her sister (their children) and it stayed in the family until.......

When I was ten years old my dad came home from work and as usual we ate dinner as a family every night at 6pm. I can still hear the words coming out of my dads mouth as if it was yesterday. I can still see the look on my 3 sisters faces, my dads voice cracking, “the Tahoe House is being sold”. What? Why? As tears began streaming down mine and my sisters face.

My grandmothers sister wanted out of the house and my grandmother couldn’t afford to buy her out at the time. My dad and uncle (who would have later inherited the house) had new families and couldn’t contribute what it would take buy her out.

The house that my great grandparents built and paid cash for in 1950 sold in 1980 for $150,000. The house has only changed hands a couple of times since we owned it. I looked up the tax records on it last year and the last recorded sale 9 years ago showed it sold for just over $2,000,000. The same house is on the property with very little change. At some point an owner built a tall wood fence around the property line.

There were members of my family that didn’t speak to each other for a couple years after it all went down. Some very conflicted feelings as you can imagine. It’s hard to put into words what this house meant to my grandmother, my father, my aunt and uncle and us kids. Im 46 yo today and I know I will always have clear and incredible memories of my time there.

My family has vacationed summers and winters in Tahoe over the decades since we owned the house and every time one or all of us go up there we take a quick turn onto Pine Cone Circle, get out of the car and take a quick peek over that fence to take a trip down memory lane and think about what could have been.

Last edited:

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Looks nice. I bet them Night Temps are dropping down fast, maybe into the low 30's ??