WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

64 Chevelle/Malibu SS for sale

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I have a friend that was a consultant for the car at the time. The inspiration for that car was the Boyd Coddington Alumacoupe that said friend was also involved with.

aluma-coupe-hot-rod-1.jpg

He screamed at them when they finalized on the v6. The car was designed with the possibility for a V8 version, but sales sucked so bad they never did it. I believe the concept car had a v8 in it.
Lead designer of the car bought a car from me. They were very proud of it prior to it going on sale. Funny thing is the car he purchased from me had a much, much longer wait list than his own design.[emoji3] For the life of me I can't remember his name but I do remember he was tall.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
If you don't have a big block SS you're a loser, especially at the gas station when approached by a toothless guy in a beat up station wagon full of screaming kids :grumble: . Oh, and he says "nice Nova". lol. I wish the days of picking exactly what you want on your car would return.

ChevelleSB406, is that your Chevelle? Sure looks nice. Friday night man, party at the moon tower. :D

Nah, I wish. Yeah, by gas station encounters go like this. "this yours...... I had one back in the day....... shoulda never sold it...... what you got in there, a 396" "No, actually its a 421 inch small block" "421, they never made anything like that" "Yep, good thing we know how to now" "Oh...shame its not a big block..... I'll give you 4 grand cash right now for it" "No thanks, I have that much in my bottom end alone, thanks though"

Which brings up my favorite, like when people spit a stupid number to buy something, and then say the word CASH!!! Like, what the fuck am I gonna take, payments, a credit card, you know what, just write me a fuggin' check :grumble: Anyway, don't really have a good pic on my comp of it, but here are a couple.

chevelle1.jpg chevelle3.jpg chevelle4.jpg chevelle5.jpg

rvrrun

Reaction score
No it wouldn't have. Chevy put a 6.0 in that horrible HHR and that didn't sell either.

Bad concept cars

Even better was the Cosworth. Those were about the same price as a vette.

I'd take a Cosworth over a vette, but I'm weird like that.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Lead designer of the car bought a car from me. They were very proud of it prior to it going on sale. Funny thing is the car he purchased from me had a much, much longer wait list than his own design.[emoji3] For the life of me I can't remember his name but I do remember he was tall.

Speaking of old 90's Boyd Coddington shit.. who remembers this one?

This is on EBay right now. The ZR1 truck!

IMG_4674.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112274507362

69GS

Reaction score
Yea, but, aluminum block and heads? In the 60's? Buddy, that shit was auto exotica.....

I have a funny story about Mr Wilton, K boat racing and zl1s

Brian

Let's here the story, sounds interesting.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Let's here the story, sounds interesting.

Wilton ran a ZL1 engine in Coldfire, he said the rules were it had to be a factory GM block, so he hauled around the '69 Camaro they took the engine out of. When they got protested that the engine wasn't legal, he opened the door to the trailer and showed the Camaro the engine came from.

No idea if the story is true, but if you know Bub, I could see it.

Brian

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Wilton ran a ZL1 engine in Coldfire, he said the rules were it had to be a factory GM block, so he hauled around the '69 Camaro they took the engine out of. When they got protested that the engine wasn't legal, he opened the door to the trailer and showed the Camaro the engine came from.

No idea if the story is true, but if you know Bub, I could see it.

Brian

So he had this 'Camaro" in the trailer?? Cool.
page7_1.jpg

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
LOL this happens to me all the time, I usually get the question "how much" and when at the gas station I usually reply with 16 gallons. Another I get "is that a real SS does it have a big block?" my reply yes then can I take a look at it like they are best friends or gonna buy it all the sudden. I don't mind the occasional can I check it out usually the older guys but it always seem to be when I need to be someplace, so I am usually late.
IMG_3627.jpg

Nah, I wish. Yeah, by gas station encounters go like this. "this yours...... I had one back in the day....... shoulda never sold it...... what you got in there, a 396" "No, actually its a 421 inch small block" "421, they never made anything like that" "Yep, good thing we know how to now" "Oh...shame its not a big block..... I'll give you 4 grand cash right now for it" "No thanks, I have that much in my bottom end alone, thanks though"

Which brings up my favorite, like when people spit a stupid number to buy something, and then say the word CASH!!! Like, what the fuck am I gonna take, payments, a credit card, you know what, just write me a fuggin' check :grumble: Anyway, don't really have a good pic on my comp of it, but here are a couple.

View attachment 569215 View attachment 569216 View attachment 569217 View attachment 569218

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
LOL this happens to me all the time, I usually get the question "how much" and when at the gas station I usually reply with 16 gallons. Another I get "is that a real SS does it have a big block?" my reply yes then can I take a look at it like they are best friends or gonna buy it all the sudden. I don't mind the occasional can I check it out usually the older guys but it always seem to be when I need to be someplace, so I am usually late.
View attachment 569239

Nice 68, I dig the color, I don't mind people that are cool and maybe to chatty, but yeah, the how much thing gets old, like, hey, you have a hot wife, how much for me to have a go, its the same thing in my mind. But normally its just people telling me I have the wrong year stripes, with the wrong engine. Hey guess what, I don't limit what I like to factory stuff, I guess that's why I am totally down with aftermarket tits as well :thumbsup Fake boobs give me real boners, and that big small block is making a bit more power than those factory big blocks did. :D

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Nice 68, I dig the color, I don't mind people that are cool and maybe to chatty, but yeah, the how much thing gets old, like, hey, you have a hot wife, how much for me to have a go, its the same thing in my mind. But normally its just people telling me I have the wrong year stripes, with the wrong engine. Hey guess what, I don't limit what I like to factory stuff, I guess that's why I am totally down with aftermarket tits as well :thumbsup Fake boobs give me real boners, and that big small block is making a bit more power than those factory big blocks did. :D

People tell me at the gas station my RX7 is going to break in half with the V8 in it. Also the ever popular "That does not sound like a rotary."

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
People tell me at the gas station my RX7 is going to break in half with the V8 in it. Also the ever popular "That does not sound like a rotary."

let alone my 24/7 drag radials, people don't like those either, now, don't get me wrong, i can do 33 mph in the rain on the freeway, not 35 mph, definitely only up to 33 mph, ask me how I know kind of deal, I tried the experiment several times on that journey home. Rx7 with an LS is so cool, the weirdest two swaps my friends have done, my buddy had a buick t type turbo v6 in a datsun 510 with a muncie and an rx7 rear end ironically, and another friend put a small block chevy in the back of his 914, that was the biggest case of having a confused ear when it started up. Well, that and the guy with the duramax 70 chevelle at muscle factory, that really caught me off guard years ago.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
let alone my 24/7 drag radials, people don't like those either, now, don't get me wrong, i can do 33 mph in the rain on the freeway, not 35 mph, definitely only up to 33 mph, ask me how I know kind of deal, I tried the experiment several times on that journey home. Rx7 with an LS is so cool, the weirdest two swaps my friends have done, my buddy had a buick t type turbo v6 in a datsun 510 with a muncie and an rx7 rear end ironically, and another friend put a small block chevy in the back of his 914, that was the biggest case of having a confused ear when it started up. Well, that and the guy with the duramax 70 chevelle at muscle factory, that really caught me off guard years ago.

I have got caught out on racing slicks in the rain on the freeway twice. Steering wheel stopped working and the car was just floating on the water above 40. Was about to get off the freeway both times, and the weather cleared up.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score

Definitely only.

Noted.

David_396

Reaction score
My 1967 SS396/325hp. Turbo 400 bench seat AC car with the factory AIR smog system. I have owned the car since 1989. An factory SS car will have "138" number in the vin. After 1968 the "138" vin was no longer used.
justinphonepics051_zpsb7a6fb73.jpg

A 1964 El Camino I should have kept. AC with factory tilt wheel.
IMG_4761.jpg

My brother still owns my other 1964 El Camino that we installed a 396 big block in 1982. Was a straight 6 with 3 on the tree.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I remember reading about the limited Z-16 '65 Chevelle SS with a 396.
sucp-1012-01%2bz16-chevelle%2bdecember-1981-issue.jpg

I know someone that owned a factory new one. Or rather I know his brother. Their grandpa owned the local Chevy dealership, each of them ordered a 65 Chevelle SS. One ordered the 327, the other ordered one with the 396. My friend with the 327 car still has it complete but unrestored. His brother wrecked the BB car a few years later and the engine got pulled for some other hotrod project, the car sent to the junk yard.

There wasn't anything special.about these cars back then, just a Chevy with a big engine.

westair

Reaction score
Then what makes them special at all?

That's a good question because even a Camry today could outperformed these cars back then ...... just the history and nostalgia factor I guess. Almost any of these cars were almost worthless at one time.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
That's a good question because even a Camry today could outperformed these cars back then ...... just the history and nostalgia factor I guess. Almost any of these cars were almost worthless at one time.

Yea, good luck with the fun you ill have driving around in the camry. ;)

SMH. You realize the tech available at the time? I would hope todays cars would be BETTER than cars from 40 years ago, just like the cars from 40 years ago were better than their predecessors.

Apply that same tech to yesterdays engines and you have 2000-2500hp streetable monsters. ;)

Try not to kick your dog on the way out the door today, ey? Fucker didn't do anything to you.

sfury

Reaction score
I went to buy this car yesterday but just too many unknowns. Trunk wouldn't open so couldn't see rear quarters, and parts scattered throughout his shop. 6k was his selling point and since he's had it for 29 years he was sticking to that price. If I could of seen inside trunk maybe I would of bought it. It's screaming for a LS motor and about 20k. What does the RDP brain trust think? Lol IMG_9832.jpg IMG_9834.jpg IMG_9835.jpg IMG_9836.jpg IMG_9837.jpg IMG_9838.jpg IMG_9839.jpg IMG_9841.jpg IMG_9847.jpg IMG_9844.jpg IMG_9845.jpg IMG_9848.jpg IMG_9850.jpg IMG_9851.jpg IMG_9846.jpg

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I went to buy this car yesterday but just too many unknowns. Trunk wouldn't open so couldn't see rear quarters, and parts scattered throughout his shop. 6k was his selling point and since he's had it for 29 years he was sticking to that price. If I could of seen inside trunk maybe I would of bought it. It's screaming for a LS motor and about 20k. What does the RDP brain trust think? Lol

Its a black plate car and that means something to me, Id also verify the plate and vin off the registration. ;)

Since the antennae hole leads into the trunk then I would figure a way to get it open, even if it meant removing the back seat and opening the trunk from the inside.

6k seems like a lot for a roller, since there are no parts to sell and recoup any cash, but of course it depends how bad you want it. How long has he been trying to sell it?

I also like that it appears to be complete and not missing a bunch of little parts.

Brian

sfury

Reaction score
Its a black plate car and that means something to me, Id also verify the plate and vin off the registration. ;)

If the antennae hole leads into the trunk then I would figure a way to get it open, even if it meant removing the back seat and opening the trunk for the inside.

6k seems like a lot for a roller, there is nothing there to sell and recoup any cash, but of course it depends how bad you want it. How long has he been trying to sell it?

I also like that it appears to be complete and not missing a bunch of little parts.

Brian

That was the other thing. I asked if he's advertised it and he just said it's been pushed out of his shop everyday with the signs for the last few months. The car is in the middle of car shop territory in Orange so if it was a deal it would of been gone by now.

westair

Reaction score
Yea, good luck with the fun you ill have driving around in the camry. ;)

SMH. You realize the tech available at the time? I would hope todays cars would be BETTER than cars from 40 years ago, just like the cars from 40 years ago were better than their predecessors.

Apply that same tech to yesterdays engines and you have 2000-25000 streetable monsters. ;)

Try not to kick your dog on the way out the door today, ey? Fucker didn't do anything to you.

In 50 years from now maybe that Camry might be cool.....lol .. I remember when only the old muscle cars were cool, then as more time went by, like now, it seems almost any car from the 60's 70's is cool.

Don't get me wrong, I love these old muscle cars but was just answering your question ..... I think they're cool because I was there and owned some ...memories.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
In 50 years from now maybe that Camry might be cool.....lol .. I remember when only the old muscle cars were cool, then as more time went by, like now, it seems almost any car from the 60's 70's is cool

No, it won't. :)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
That was the other thing. I asked if he's advertised it and he just said it's been pushed out of his shop everyday with the signs for the last few months. The car is in the middle of car shop territory in Orange so if it was a deal it would of been gone by now.

Possibly,

A deal to whom is what I am asking. What are comparable 6cyl Chevelles going for? I would think that is at least a 4K car, all day long, to push it onto a trailer.

Did you pull out a wad of cash?

Brian

sfury

Reaction score
Possibly,

A deal to whom is what I am asking. What are comparable 6cyl Chevelles going for? I would think that is at least a 4K car, all day long, to push it onto a trailer.

Did you pull out a wad of cash?

Brian

I have bought many cars in my life and sometimes my gut tells me not to pull the wad out and yesterday was one of those days. If the car wasn't quartered I would of made the deal at 6 but without seeing inside trunk I will wait. Many years ago I bought a TR250 without emptying out the trunk and thinking I made a great deal on a one year only car and guess what it was more than quartered [emoji50]

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Boomer nostalgia. :D

You watch, WRX's and such will do the same thing in about 20 years.

You are arguing with yourself. :)

I was asking you a rhetorical question since you made the statement.

I am the wrong guy to ask. I own several examples. ;)

I agree on the wrx and similar cars, there will be a few that are desirable, the rest will be scrap.

Problem I think is the obsolescence of all of the electronics will make these cars junk. I have long thought about how to monetize this looming problem.

Brian

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Just making the point that today's "throw away" cars are tomorrows collectors.

westair

Reaction score
The value of all collector cars is gonna take a big hit when this current generation of kids get older ..... they have little to no interest in cars in general, and no connection to the older muscle cars at all.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I agree in general about values. It will change.
The no interest broad stroke is wrong. The kids my son rolls with are hard core, just different. Scions, subies, a Kia Genesis boosting 25 lbs. A M3 with an LS. A rx 7 with LS. And I dont remember what it was but tons of boost on E85. Huge turn outs at their "meet ups" and fun runs through the canyons. Its not the same as when we were mids trying to get in the 13s. These "kids" are running some serious hi tech stuff.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

Cmon...
If you put a set of modern tires on an LS6 chevelle a Camry is not out performing it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The only modern cars that are gonna be worth anything besides special models are ultra low mile versions, or low mile tastefully/period correct modded versions.

Millennial car collectors don't want stock cars. This isn't like the 70s where they made 100 Hemi Cudas. They make thousands and thousands of every variation. The snowflakes want to be unique, they want the wheels from Japan that no one here has, rare spoilers and other accessories from the period the car was made.

A run of the mill WRX or STI will eventually go up in value, but not exponentially. A Japanese WRX STI s202 will go for a lot.

I'm watching Barrett Jackson this weekend and there were a couple 1991 R32 GTRs that went for mid-high $20k.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Then what makes them special at all?

FACTORY EXPERIMENTAL (F/X), S/X, & MATCH RACE STOCKERS
NHRA introduced a class in 1962 for a wild Super Stock related race car class. It was called Factory Experimental. It was origionally intended as a class where the factories could produce limited production race cars, or take pieces from their Super Stockers and install them in smaller, lighter vehicles.

http://www.georgeklass.net/fx.html

chevelleafx_4.jpg chevelleafx_1.jpg chevelleafx.jpg chevellematch.jpg 9340558.jpg 3143476.jpg 4771524.jpg 9788269_orig.jpg 1301149_orig.jpg 2268028_orig.jpg 6313582_orig.jpg 6481976_orig.jpg 2467980_orig.jpg 1414177_orig.jpg 238991_orig.jpg 9049000_orig.jpg 963118_orig.jpg 6308187_orig.jpg 9144594_orig.jpg 4514908_orig.jpg 2578077_orig.jpg 7772505_orig.jpg

westair

Reaction score
Cmon...
If you put a set of modern tires on an LS6 chevelle a Camry is not out performing it.

Yes probably not but I just threw that out there because the V6 Camrys are surprisingly quick .... 0-60 in 5.8 sec ..... 14.3 quarter mile

rivergames

Reaction score
I've always been itching for a 65' SS. Maybe one day!

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
FACTORY EXPERIMENTAL (F/X), S/X, & MATCH RACE STOCKERS
NHRA introduced a class in 1962 for a wild Super Stock related race car class. It was called Factory Experimental. It was origionally intended as a class where the factories could produce limited production race cars, or take pieces from their Super Stockers and install them in smaller, lighter vehicles.

I never said they WEREN'T special you fucking goofballs. I replied to westair saying, essentially, "If a big motor in a small car isn't special, then what is?

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
It never got the big motors or drag stuff though I don't believe. It kinda stayed in the mellow territory as a wife's Sunday ride

Not at my house. lol

Griffin_Archives_008.jpg

427 Ford installed in early sixties. 3 speed manual with electric overdrive and 4.56 Locker out back. Made regular trips to the river towing boats often uncorked.

[video=youtube;iBWtgM3RnyY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBWtgM3RnyY&t=2s[/video]

You could order a new '57 t-bird with dual quads or a supercharger.