WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sad news locally.....

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
The son of a guy that helps out on my SiL's drag racing crew, got swept away by rough surf this morning near San Luis Pass between Galveston Island and Surfside TX.

He and his friend went surf fishing and Tropical Storm Cindy still has tides running high and extremely rough seas. 19 years old and just a really great kid that put drag racing videos to music.

San Luis Pass is the connection to the Gulf on the west end of the Galveston Bay complex and water rushes in and out dangerously even without storm surge. The area claims too many lives every year and sadly got another.

RIP Josh. It breaks my heart.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/coas...-missing-fisherman-in-san-luis-pass/451545603

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
The son of a guy that helps out on my SiL's drag racing crew, got swept away by rough surf this morning near San Luis Pass between Galveston Island and Surfside TX.

He and his friend went surf fishing and Tropical Storm Cindy still has tides running high and extremely rough seas. 17-18 years old and just a really great kid that put drag racing videos to music.

San Luis Pass is the connection to the Gulf on the west end of the Galveston Bay complex and water rushes in and out dangerously even without storm surge. The area claims too many lives every year and sadly got another.

Awe man sorry for your loss. May he RIP.

Hate to hear stories like this.

rrrr

Reaction score

He and his friend went surf fishing and Tropical Storm Cindy still has tides running high and extremely rough seas. 19 years old and just a really great kid that put drag racing videos to music.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/coas...-missing-fisherman-in-san-luis-pass/451545603

Man, San Luis Pass isn't a place to be fishing when there is tropical weather in the area. Heck, it's dangerous during normal tidal cycles.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
So sad. Yep, that entire area is not to be taken lightly especially during stormy weather.

Rest in peace.

OR

oldschool

Reaction score
That's terrible, sorry to hear. Mother Nature doesn't fuck around.

Old Texan

Reaction score
Man, San Luis Pass isn't a place to be fishing when there is tropical weather in the area. Heck, it's dangerous during normal tidal cycles.

Yes it is. I've fished there many times and it's treacherous on hard tide changes. It's even extremely hard to fish out of a boat with the crazy currents. The bottom is in a constant change and guts holding fish one week are gone the next.....The thing about it is, if you do get caught in an undertow, just relax and float it out. You'll eventually wash onto a sand bar knee deep. The other kid did just that and made it back to shore but Jacob didn't and the poor fella paid with his life.

He called my grandson last night and invited him to go. GS had to work for his Dad and could not make it. I wish he could have been with them as he would not have allowed them to get in the water much less wade out to their chests. GS was very adamant to be careful and told them it would be wise to not go at all. They didn't listen.....

I posted a couple weeks back on how my GS and my grand daughter's boyfriend had to pull 64 year old man out of rough surf and the guy died on Life Flight to Houston. This drowning was about 5 miles SW of San Luis on the beach. He's really getting bummed out about this drowning shit. He warned both of the drowning victims and neither listened to him.

Old Texan

Reaction score
So sad. Yep, that entire area is not to be taken lightly especially during stormy weather.

Rest in peace.

OR

Did you hear about the young lady from OK that drown last week on Bolivar? She saved her young son, passed him of to another rescuer, but tired and couldn't get back in herself. She was down here on vacation.

Rip currents have been bad this year.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
That's another area one has to be mindful of. Yes, i saw something in the newspaper about that, how tragic.

OR

Old Texan

Reaction score
SiL went down to the site to find the father.....The other boy told them he managed to float on his back and last he saw of his friend, Jacob came up spitting water then went under. Didn't see him again.:(

CG called of search for him late afternoon and now it's wait and see for the body........

rrrr

Reaction score
The dangers of San Luis, other cuts and passes, and some of the bars on Matagorda Island are well known to guys that have been fishing there for years. Unfortunately sometimes out-of-towners or some youngsters won't know the surf and the consequences are tragic.

Fishing is supposed to be a fun sport, but the ocean is a hard mistress sometimes.

My condolences to the family of the boy that was lost.

Old Texan

Reaction score
Within the past hour the body has been spotted rolling in the surf and CG is trying to get it recovered........That flicker of hope just went away. RIP Jacob. You were a fine young man