WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

K-5 fans

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I know there are a few of us that like the squarebody K-5's, 73-late 80's. Anyway, I'm looking for some axles. I'll be putting them under my Suburban of the same vintage but I'm looking for better than 3:73 gear ratios. Ultimately I'd like to find a set with 4:56's that someone pulled out for bigger axles but would consider 4:10's too. If anyone has a line would you let me know? I'm trying to avoid doing the full rebuild and re-gear on what I have. Labor is expensive $$$$!!!! I can swap axles myself at home, that's just nuts and bolts.

IMG_20160624_132246785_HDR.jpg

Pic of the pig that needs love lol

Andy01

Reaction score
I sold a set o CUCV axles this year for $2,500 that's what you need to find. 3/4 ton, locker front and back with 4.56's.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I would prefer to keep it 6 lug and not have to do new wheels and drivelines. Unless a smoken deal came up on some 3/4 or 1ton axles.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
It's going to be far cheaper to just re-gear it yourself.

Gear sets are cheap, a few bucks in gaskets and seals and a weekend of your time. You could do both axles for around 200$.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
It's going to be far cheaper to just re-gear it yourself.

Gear sets are cheap, a few bucks in gaskets and seals and a weekend of your time. You could do both axles for around 200$.
It may come to that this fall. If I could get a buddy's help that has done gears before I'm sure I could learn for myself. Until then, it can sit.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
It may come to that this fall. If I could get a buddy's help that has done gears before I'm sure I could learn for myself. Until then, it can sit.

Youtube it man, there are probably 500 that show you how to do it, it's not that tough, just time consuming.

Backlash

Reaction score
If you are looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton set of axles but want to retain the 6 lug bolt pattern, that's going to mean you're looking for a 14 bolt semi-float rear correct? That isn't as "Strong" as the full-float 14 bolt but is better than the 10 bolt. Going with the semi-float 14 bolt to keep the 6 lug may make it a little more expensive to find the ring gear set you'd like too. I'm sure Randy's Ring and Pinion has it in stock but it may command a premium. Not sure what your plans are but I'm just thinking out loud here.

I've got a 14 bolt semi-float with a 6 bolt pattern (Drum brakes), but I'm not sure what gear set is in it. Let me know if that's something that may be of use.

Henry

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
If you are looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton set of axles but want to retain the 6 lug bolt pattern, that's going to mean you're looking for a 14 bolt semi-float rear correct? That isn't as "Strong" as the full-float 14 bolt but is better than the 10 bolt. Going with the semi-float 14 bolt to keep the 6 lug may make it a little more expensive to find the ring gear set you'd like too. I'm sure Randy's Ring and Pinion has it in stock but it may command a premium. Not sure what your plans are but I'm just thinking out loud here.

I've got a 14 bolt semi-float with a 6 bolt pattern (Drum brakes), but I'm not sure what gear set is in it. Let me know if that's something that may be of use.

Henry
No no no lol!!!!

Ultimately I like to find a set of half ton axles that someone has already upgraded to a 410 or 456. I really don't want to go bigger. At that point, might as well but a 3/4 ton sub. Unless there was a crazy good deal, but even then, brake lines, drivelines and who knows what else will become an issue. I'm just trying not to bite the bullet for the rebuild and re-gear. They truck is a 2nd vehicle and 30 years old. No need to go full tilt crazy with it. 😉

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Not sure of the exact year range, but when I was doing my jeep rebuild 20 years ago... man time fly's... I swapped in some axles out of a 72 K-5 blazer. 12 bolt rear, dana 44 front, 6 lugs with factory discs up front, drums in the rear. Might want to check some older rigs for what you are looking for.

Another consideration is I think the carrier split is 4:10's. Meaning anything above that needs a new carrier. I'm running 4:88's now and had to buy new carriers at the time. Check Pirates, those axles should be out there already set up for you somewhere.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Today is your lucky day
i have a 88 3/4 ton with 8 lug factory 4:10 gears and am going to put in a dana 60 and 14bolt that i have with 4:56 gears
also switching out to 35" tires so make you a deal on the 33" tires and wheels if you want. but you will still have to get new driveshafts or modify yours.
it would be way cheaper to just regear your rig but they won't be near as strong as swapping to 14 bolt full float rear.
i still need to order the lift

i will check with the shop tomorrow and see when they can do the swap.

Attachments

• IMG_4625.jpg
    IMG_4625.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 19

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Changing gears is not that hard.
If you buy new just pull the pinion and take it to the local driveline expert with the new gears.
The number scribed in the end tells you the depth, he should be able to shim it just with simple math, then press the bearing on. All you have to do is shim the carrier side to side for lash, and check the pattern.

There really is no mystery to it. :tbi

Backlash

Reaction score
Just checking! :D

My axle is out of a 3/4 ton Burb that had been upgraded to one ton running gear. It's stronger than a 10 bolt and will slide right underneath yours. Like I said, the gearing is unknown but you'd keep the six lug pattern. You'd be running a 9.5" ring gear which is smaller than the 14 bolt full-float ring gear, but it's a lot larger and stronger than the 10 bolt. I've got a future home for it and didn't reeeeeeally want to get rid of it. ;) Good luck and let us know how things go.

Henry