WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Depth Gauges

1rvrryd

Reaction score
Good afternoon, I am looking to install a depth gauge on our boat, and saw some with air and water temp too. Similar to this:

HawkEye D10DX.01T In-Dash Depth Sounder with Air and Water Temperature (Includes Airmar Transom Mount Transducer) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QWUNGW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_YSeuzbVXBNXPF

What is the best advise from those that have installed after the boat was in your garage (ie not installed at mfg)? Would you only install a depth gauge with epoxied in puck inside the hull and forego the temp feature? Do the transom mount transducers work at speed (we cruise about 40mph) or do they constantly kick/flip up from the water flowing by. Any advise appreciated. Looking to install one next week during our extended stay at the river. Thanks!

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Good afternoon, I am looking to install a depth gauge on our boat, and saw some with air and water temp too. Similar to this:

HawkEye D10DX.01T In-Dash Depth Sounder with Air and Water Temperature (Includes Airmar Transom Mount Transducer) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QWUNGW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_YSeuzbVXBNXPF

What is the best advise from those that have installed after the boat was in your garage (ie not installed at mfg)? Would you only install a depth gauge with epoxied in puck inside the hull and forego the temp feature? Do the transom mount transducers work at speed (we cruise about 40mph) or do they constantly kick/flip up from the water flowing by. Any advise appreciated. Looking to install one next week during our extended stay at the river. Thanks!
I installed that exact one last year, and epoxied it to the bottom of my bilge. There was a depression where there wasn't any wooden core. It didn't work worth a darn. I tore it out and tossed it. The temp features worked, but the depth was all over the place. The particular lakes where I was using it, I know for a fact aren't deeper than 20 feet, and I was seeing intermittent readings of 48-120'. Sometimes itd work, others not. It seemed to be linked to the clarity of the water.

I would not recommend it.

1rvrryd

Reaction score
I installed that exact one last year, and epoxied it to the bottom of my bilge. There was a depression where there wasn't any wooden core. It didn't work worth a darn. I tore it out and tossed it. The temp features worked, but the depth was all over the place. The particular lakes where I was using it, I know for a fact aren't deeper than 20 feet, and I was seeing intermittent readings of 48-120'. Sometimes itd work, others not. It seemed to be linked to the clarity of the water.

I would not recommend it.
Thanks for the feedback.