WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any Giant bike experts here?

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I have a Giant Faith downhiller about 10 yrs old. Inch long crack in frame between crank and rear axle. Can it be fixed? I'm trying to find the exact frame material info to give a welder the best chance. I can't find the metal specs anywhere on line. Am I over thinking this? My kid has a bunch of money into this rig already.

96motorhead

Reaction score
I have the new version of that bike, the giant glory so I know some stuff about the dh scene. I've seen people weld the frames but they tend to crack right next to the new weld because that is now the weakest part of the frame unless you reheat treat the frame. Honestly I would just buy a new frame and bolt all the components on that if the components are nice.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Normally he doesn't push it too hard, as he is 14 and just getting off a series of road bikes. This will be his first MB. The immediate problem is that he really wants to go to Big Bear with his buddies, and that is going to be a whole new level of punishment I'm assuming. I told him pretty much what you said, that a welded frame will likely continue to crack. I just want to give a welder the best shot at not making things worse.

96motorhead

Reaction score
Are you sure it's a crack? Did you remove the paint around it to see if it continues through the metal? And big bear is definitely fun.

j-bone

Reaction score
I can't believe you are even contemplating putting your 14 yr old son on a this frame. DH bikes take a lot punishment. The risk of failure is way too high. I rode mountain bikes for years and would never risk welding a cracked frame. But I always rode carbon fiber. Try to contact the manufacturer. I have found Giant to be a very solid company and they may stand behind the 10 yr old frame if it doesn't look abused. They may not exchange it outright, but you might get a sizeable discount on a current frame.

Good luck.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I can't believe you are even contemplating putting your 14 yr old son on a this frame. DH bikes take a lot punishment. The risk of failure is way too high. I rode mountain bikes for years and would never risk welding a cracked frame. But I always rode carbon fiber. Try to contact the manufacturer. I have found Giant to be a very solid company and they may stand behind the 10 yr old frame if it doesn't look abused. They may not exchange it outright, but you might get a sizeable discount on a current frame.

Good luck.

x2